The Student Room Group

Geography A level help

My school have not been amazing when teaching the subject and although I have raised the issue many times with my school, nothing is being done. I'm just being dismissed and told that I am overreacting but everyone else in my class feels the same.

Anyone have any advice? I am really struggling with knowing the content let alone be able to revise for the exams in 3 months... I am really struggling with the places topic. Does anyone know if for your local place case study, if we need to memorise and know the statistics as this just seems so overwhelming to learn.. Not only this but how do you all revise for geography? I am finding it more difficult to revise for the human side of the subject.

Just seems a shame as geography used to be one of my favourite subjects and i achieved a grade 9 at it for my GCSEs but from the lack of teaching and resources, I really am struggling. I am only aiming for a C in this subject so any help with this would really be appreciated!
Original post by JHCT
My school have not been amazing when teaching the subject and although I have raised the issue many times with my school, nothing is being done. I'm just being dismissed and told that I am overreacting but everyone else in my class feels the same.

Anyone have any advice? I am really struggling with knowing the content let alone be able to revise for the exams in 3 months... I am really struggling with the places topic. Does anyone know if for your local place case study, if we need to memorise and know the statistics as this just seems so overwhelming to learn.. Not only this but how do you all revise for geography? I am finding it more difficult to revise for the human side of the subject.

Just seems a shame as geography used to be one of my favourite subjects and i achieved a grade 9 at it for my GCSEs but from the lack of teaching and resources, I really am struggling. I am only aiming for a C in this subject so any help with this would really be appreciated!

geography was my favouritte gcse i also got a 9 but since a level ive found it so dull and boring, my teachers are decent but sometimes i just dont enjoy the course.

for places, ive learnt basic, memorable stats such as years that any significant changes happened or employment/population/house price figures. i revise by using seneca learning, studyrocket, geographyalevel.weebly and my textbooks for in-depth knowledge or for gaps in my notes. definitely try as many past paper questions as you can find as there's not a lot of variation between what questions focus on and typically ask for
Reply 2
Original post by JHCT

I can relate to this so much and I was in the same boat but I passed my exam by doing crazy amounts of revision and I did all of this in a third of the time you have, I did it all in a month.

Try These!:

- For local place case study it doesn't have to be statistical - I chose my hometown and referred to landmarks and poetry; factual info is good too!
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Reading in General
- Curious Geographer is a great youtuber for A level Geog revision
- Watch Documentaries on your case studies
- Apply real world examples to your work, maybe something that happened recently - I actually mentioned Covid on my human geography paper - in regards to disease mitigation effect etc
- Try to memorise as much as you can, statistics are great but also try to remember key words and processes (useful for physical geog)
- Also memories multiple case studies ( so a few for volcanoes, a few for tsunamis, a few for glaciers, a few for disease stuff etc etc) bringing in 2-3 for big questions will be great, for physical geog natural disasters memorise 2 types of case studies 1) HICs 2) LICs

- Understand the question, like seriously, break it down. look into the words and really think what they are asking for here are some examples:

1) Explain blah blah - here you are supposed to describe a process and what happened, so if a question asks; explain why volcanoes cause damage. You're going to describe the full process of what it does - I like to split things into physical geog and human geog aspects. phys = damages land, destroys habitats, earthquakes etc + human = casualties, buildings destroyed, facilities damaged

2) Evaluate strategies for disease mitigation - evaluate means you talk about positives AND negative

I hope this helps, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I self studied doing all this - I took 50 hours and I got my pass, I wish you the best of luck to smash that exam and do your best.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bean_cat
I can relate to this so much and I was in the same boat but I passed my exam by doing crazy amounts of revision and I did all of this in a third of the time you have, I did it all in a month.

Try These!:

- For local place case study it doesn't have to be statistical - I chose my hometown and referred to landmarks and poetry; factual info is good too!
- Past papers (from multiple exam boards, so that you can have more questions to try with)
- Look at sample answers
- watch tutorials on how to answer certain questions (you'll find these on youtube)
- Reading in General
- Curious Geographer is a great youtuber for A level Geog revision
- Watch Documentaries on your case studies
- Apply real world examples to your work, maybe something that happened recently - I actually mentioned Covid on my human geography paper - in regards to disease mitigation effect etc
- Try to memorise as much as you can, statistics are great but also try to remember key words and processes (useful for physical geog)
- Also memories multiple case studies ( so a few for volcanoes, a few for tsunamis, a few for glaciers, a few for disease stuff etc etc) bringing in 2-3 for big questions will be great, for physical geog natural disasters memorise 2 types of case studies 1) HICs 2) LICs

- Understand the question, like seriously, break it down. look into the words and really think what they are asking for here are some examples:

1) Explain blah blah - here you are supposed to describe a process and what happened, so if a question asks; explain why volcanoes cause damage. You're going to describe the full process of what it does - I like to split things into physical geog and human geog aspects. phys = damages land, destroys habitats, earthquakes etc + human = casualties, buildings destroyed, facilities damaged

2) Evaluate strategies for disease mitigation - evaluate means you talk about positives AND negative

I hope this helps, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I self studied doing all this - I took 50 hours and I got my pass, I wish you the best of luck to smash that exam and do your best.

Hope this helps! :smile:

first of all
THANK YOU SO MUCH - this is so so helpful. I really appreciate the time you have spent to type this out!
I definitely will take this on board.
I'm also very sorry your teachers were not too great either! It is not a nice boat to be in but you did it :smile:

Thank you again x

Quick Reply

Latest