The Student Room Group

Exams as a Foundation doctor

Hey everyone :smile:

I'm just about to graduate and have been trying to figure out how FYs work but can't seem to find much online.

What/how many exams will we need to take and when? When will we have to apply for trainee posts?

Thank you!
Original post by ggaaiiaa

I'm just about to graduate and have been trying to figure out how FYs work but can't seem to find much online.

What/how many exams will we need to take and when? When will we have to apply for trainee posts?

Thank you!

Presuming you aren’t graduating from the UK.
The PSA is the only exam in medicine foundation.
Go to the ukfpo website for next year’s application dates.

Thank you!

There are no mandatory exams. Some membership/fellowship exams are open to FY1 and/or FY2s but it's up to you to decide whether you want to sit these during the Foundation Programme.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
There are no mandatory exams. Some membership/fellowship exams are open to FY1 and/or FY2s but it's up to you to decide whether you want to sit these during the Foundation Programme.

So people generally sit their SJT, MSRA, and equivalent exams once they're already done with their foundation years? Are applications to specialties not based on any form of exams? How are applicants graded then?
Reply 4
Original post by Kathrynjaneway
Presuming you aren’t graduating from the UK.
The PSA is the only exam in medicine foundation.
Go to the ukfpo website for next year’s application dates.

Hey, I am studying in the UK and have already sat my PSA. I was hoping to know about Foundation Years exams rather than medical school exams if you can help? :smile:
So people generally sit their SJT, MSRA, and equivalent exams once they're already done with their foundation years? Are applications to specialties not based on any form of exams? How are applicants graded then?

Isn't the SJT done in final year of medical school?

MSRA - yes you can do that in FY2 but only if you're planning to apply for specialty training and only if the specialty you're applying for requires it. It's not mandatory. Sorry, I thought you meant membership and fellowship exams.
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Isn't the SJT done in final year of medical school?

MSRA - yes you can do that in FY2 but only if you're planning to apply for specialty training and only if the specialty you're applying for requires it. It's not mandatory. Sorry, I thought you meant membership and fellowship exams.

That's really helpful, thank you!

With regards to the SJT, I'd heard somewhere that there are further ethical tests once having graduated (similar to the SJT), is this correct or did I make it up?
(edited 1 year ago)
That's really helpful, thank you!

With regards to the SJT, I'd heard somewhere that there are further ethical tests once having graduated (similar to the SJT), is this correct or did I make it up?

The MSRA has a professional dilemmas section (similar to the SJT) but there are no mandatory tests.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending