The Student Room Group

Durham University (MSc Data Science & Bioinformatics) Vs. MSc Biotechnology in others

Hello everyone, I'm an international student from India and the fees are pretty high so I want to make sure I am choosing the best uni/course for myself with the highest job prospects. I have offers from:
1. Durham Uni - MSc Data Science and Bioinformatics
2. Uni of Leeds - MSc Biotechnology with Business Enterprise
3. Uni of York - MSc Biotechnology
4. Uni of Bristol - MSc Bioinformatics
I love all the courses here, my primary focus is landing a job and a good student life. Please tell me the best choice for job prospects, etc. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by joessame
Hello everyone, I'm an international student from India and the fees are pretty high so I want to make sure I am choosing the best uni/course for myself with the highest job prospects. I have offers from:
1. Durham Uni - MSc Data Science and Bioinformatics
2. Uni of Leeds - MSc Biotechnology with Business Enterprise
3. Uni of York - MSc Biotechnology
4. Uni of Bristol - MSc Bioinformatics
I love all the courses here, my primary focus is landing a job and a good student life. Please tell me the best choice for job prospects, etc. Thank you!

Hello,
I saw this and I thought I would let you know that Bioinformatics and Biotechnology are very very different subjects and you might want to look into the differences between them before making any decisions. You should also think about what things you enjoy doing and whether you want an academic career or a career in industry.
I study Biology at Bristol and know people doing the Bioinformatics course. I think it is a well designed course and the department is very open to feedback and care about their students. It’s also a really small course so most people doing it know each other well.
York is really strong in Biology and biological research. I have been to Durham for open days and I personally did not love it. It is a very small town and it felt a bit depressing. Durham is also known to be an “oxbridge wannabe” and has a reputation for being snobby/classist. But I have never studied there so I can’t say much. I have never been to Leeds or know much about it so I can’t say anything about it!
I would look really carefully into the differences between biotechnology and bioinformatics and I would think about what you envision yourself doing and what interests you. If you are good, you will find a good job regardless of what field you go into.
If you are not really passionate about biology and want to do computer stuff for a high paying job, I would focus on computer science, data analysis and statistics.
Reply 2
Original post by AlgaeDance
Hello,
I saw this and I thought I would let you know that Bioinformatics and Biotechnology are very very different subjects and you might want to look into the differences between them before making any decisions. You should also think about what things you enjoy doing and whether you want an academic career or a career in industry.
I study Biology at Bristol and know people doing the Bioinformatics course. I think it is a well designed course and the department is very open to feedback and care about their students. It’s also a really small course so most people doing it know each other well.
York is really strong in Biology and biological research. I have been to Durham for open days and I personally did not love it. It is a very small town and it felt a bit depressing. Durham is also known to be an “oxbridge wannabe” and has a reputation for being snobby/classist. But I have never studied there so I can’t say much. I have never been to Leeds or know much about it so I can’t say anything about it!
I would look really carefully into the differences between biotechnology and bioinformatics and I would think about what you envision yourself doing and what interests you. If you are good, you will find a good job regardless of what field you go into.
If you are not really passionate about biology and want to do computer stuff for a high paying job, I would focus on computer science, data analysis and statistics.

Hi, thank you s much for the reply! I am aware of the differences between biotech and bioinformatics, I just meant that I'm happy with either! (:

Quick Reply

Latest