The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni choosing accommodation

My daughter has received a fantastic offer for Lancaster Uni (her highest ranking offer) so she would be mad not to firm it and on paper it is by far the best option. However, I am unsure how she will fit in personally, academically and adjust to Uni life in Lancaster.

Although on visits to me the Campus seems like a soulless concrete jungle with very few students around (maybe we have visited at the wrong days and times twice) or maybe its not for her. We have two more applicant offer days to attend and then she will decide which to firm/which to insure.

She is very quiet not massively sociable or into partying and heavy drinking. Which College would suit her best and which offers mixed sex accommodation i.e. males and female’s in the same flat/house? How can we find out more info about the personalities of each College and work out where she is more likely to fit. Although realise a lot will depend on how lucy or unlucky she is with flat mates and how she gets on with the people on her course. How easy is it to navigate the buses into Lancaster and how far away is it to the nearest supermarket to do a food shop?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My daughter has received a fantastic offer for Lancaster Uni (her highest ranking offer) so she would be mad not to firm it and on paper it is by far the best option. However, I am unsure how she will fit in personally, academically and adjust to Uni life in Lancaster.

Although on visits to me the Campus seems like a soulless concrete jungle with very few students around (maybe we have visited at the wrong days and times twice) or maybe its not for her. We have two more applicant offer days to attend and then she will decide which to firm/which to insure.

She is very quiet not massively sociable or into partying and heavy drinking. Which College would suit her best and which offers mixed sex accommodation i.e. males and female’s in the same flat/house? How can we find out more info about the personalities of each College and work out where she is more likely to fit. Although realise a lot will depend on how lucy or unlucky she is with flat mates and how she gets on with the people on her course. How easy is it to navigate the buses into Lancaster and how far away is it to the nearest supermarket to do a food shop?

Thanks

Hi im a mum of a 3rd year physics student at Lancaster. There are definitely a lot of students around according to the current numbers theres 15k as of 2020 figures that was published. Its likely you would have been going around at either the weekend or at when students were in lectures. At the moment when daughter is not in lectures shes in the library revising. Although her exams are not until May/June, she says theres a lot of people on B and C floor at the moment putting in the graft to revise. She also goes to the management school and physics atrium as they have great study spaces as well. When its better weather quite a few students hang around alex square or bonnington steps, but when its cold, they tend to hang out in study spaces or the learning zone, or if they have a break in lectures, some go back into the city home for lunch and return back again. Also the students do not always use the spine, theres quite a number of students that walk around the perimeter as well. The spine part I agree with you is a bit 'concrety' with buildings either side, but they do have some great green areas such as Lake Carter, the woodland walk and sport area. There are also a couple of hidden gems on campus such as the fountains at Furness courtyard and had a greggs there a couple of times, plus the ducks like to visit. Bonnington steps, also theres a water feature at Bowland, and the study pods in a nature area of campus. Its also very green on the health and innovation campus, and daughters done the walk into the city centre from campus which is partially on a scenic route. We did part of it couple of weeks back and it leads on to bailrigg lane and a lovely picturesque hamlet. She has not done the rooftop at infolab yet. apparently it has great views at the top. Plus shes also felt very safe at night on campus, well lit, lots of security.

All colleges offer mixed sex as standard, although you can have same sex if you request it. Personalities of each college is stereotypical online but its really down to the students in the flat. Daughter is quite reserved, not into clubbing, and does not drink, but she chose a grizedale townhouse, the 'party college' and the most sociable type of accommodation and she had the best time. There was another person in her flat who did not drink and the rest of them were really good about it and never pressured them to drink. flats in unis in general: It does go down to who is in your flat. I do think 6-8 is a nice number. I think 4 is too small personally, your reducing the number of people in your flat you could gel with if your playing the numbers game.

Accommodation wise you have to choose accommodation type in one college and accommodation type in a second college. If you go for grizedale/pendle standard, I know they are shared with 8 people and two bathrooms. Grizedale/county Townhouse is 12 and you get 6 bathrooms. Furness I believe is 4-6 students. If you google the college . put lancaster uni pendle college, the individual college pages come up.

Buses into Lancaster are really good. They come every few minutes and you can catch the 1a, the 100, the number 4 and i think there might be a couple of others. Theres also a bus that goes to blackpool and preston. The 1a takes you to the city, the number 4 to the city and direct to the train station (although train station is in walking distance to the city too). The 100 goes through bowerham, then the city and on to morecambe. Its about 15 mins by bus to the city, so its not too bad. First year she didnt need a bus pass. she would go into the city 2-3 times a week so it didnt warrant one, but shes lived in the city for years 2 and 3 and shes had a stagecoach bus pass both times and made use of it, especially when she has a big gap between lectures so she goes home, or shes meeting up with friends on a monday night at pendle bar for drinks.

Food shops - Lancaster uni has Spa and Central for food shops, but although convenient, they are not cheap. So the city centre has shops. There is a free bus to Sainsburys https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sustainability/action/travel/bus-travel/#buses-to-sainsburys-504946-4 on a Wednesdays so students can do their shops. Daughter shops at Aldi which is south of the city and theres a bus stop not far from there, plus in the centre shes also shopped at Iceland to get 3 for £10 offers, and poundland as well do food. Some students also order food in to be delivered from Asda (which is in between lancaster and morecambe).

Ive got two daughters and youngest is in year 13. Both have very different needs to what they wanted with their uni choices. Can your daughter see herself studying there? Did she leave with a smile on her face at the end of the day or was she left with doubts and questioning herself about it? When youngest left one specific uni open day she let with more questions and doubts and trying to reason the good versus the bits she doubted, so we knew it was not quite 100% for her.
What are her other options and her chose subject?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2

Thanks

Hi, I’m a mom too and the concerns you have about fitting in will be there regardless of the institution she chooses. My daughter is due to start 2023 studying History, all being well with her results.
Ok, so a couple of things…..
There are plenty of supermarkets and a regular bus service that runs from the University. There are also two supermarkets on campus (bit pricey by all accounts but perfect for a last minute need for toilet roll).
The campus is a bit built up, but it is easy to navigate and accommodation is a short walk away. I’ve been to so many open days and tbh every campus has its faults ( halls are too far away, lots of walking, no campus security, etc), I suppose it comes down to how comfortable your daughter feels.
College-wise: this is a matter of personal preference. Lancaster’s collegiate system means that when you graduate, you graduate with your college and not your course mates. It’s really down to location on campus and what you want in terms of accommodation. I believe Grizedale town houses tend to be party central, so maybe steer clear of those.
If you are on Facebook there are a couple of groups that may help you both out.
Lancaster University Parents Group (prospective parents and current attendees of the university use this group to share information)
Lancaster University Applicants & Offer Holders 2023 (this is a group where you can introduce yourself and there are some social media chats that have been set up. It’s a chance to talk and meet new people or simply observe what people have to say)
I know this post was a while ago but I hope this helps x
Reply 3
Thanks @Ghostlady she is quite deep and doesn’t give much very away but I think she liked it and was positive about it. She was talking about it in terms of at ‘my ________’ last night so its still a definite contender. It was more me being unsure about the fit for her. Maybe we should try and fit in another visit and visit the City Centre.

Yesterdays applicant offer day was quite strange in that it didn’t seem to start until 10.30 but some optional things were available before 10.30 (but what was available was vague). We arrived at 9.30 weren’t told about the tables or information in the hall. We visited one type of accommodation then we were ushered into a room for her subject just before 10.30 then had to wait there until after 11 before things got going. On the way past staff were available at various tables which I might have visited rather than sitting in a room in silence for over half an hour then everyone had cleared off later. But their was no mention of this by the student ambassadors and no signage about it either.

Other choices are less high ranking than Lancaster and we have still to visit them for offer days (none are an exact fit/match for one reason or another).

Although her best friend seems to be veering towards UCLAN for a different course which doesn’t seem to be in the same league as Lancaster. But she was really singing its virtues after a visit day at the start of year 13.
Reply 4
Thanks @annonymous#1

I think she was thinking about the larger accommodation and a townhouse, thinking about more chance of getting on with someone if she has 12 options which may or may not be the case and imagine it would vary townhouse to townhouse.

Thanks

Hi there,

Congratulations to your daughter on her offer from Lancaster! Picking a university to firm can be a really tricky decision, and I do agree that it is really important to pick somewhere you will feel comfortable and 'fit in'.

From my experience, one of the big factors about Lancaster that affects whether people choose to come here or not is the fact that Lancaster itself is a relatively small city and the university is a distinct campus. For me, I knew I wanted to experience some of the stereotypical uni nightlife, but I didn't want to be in a big city like London or Manchester, and actually I cared much more about what societies were available than what the nightlife was like. I would definitely recommend your daughter has a look on the Student Union website to see all the societies currently offered. Although the 1960s architecture isn't to everyone's taste, I absolutely love campus- the woodland trail running around the perimeter, the ducks, our beautiful library, lots of lovely places for a picnic!

In terms of colleges, I would say the main influences on the 'character' of a college are the location and types of accommodation available. Although there is absolutely a wide range of students in all colleges, you do tend to get trends based on preferences. For example, Cartmel and Lonsdale are further out of central campus, so generally students there tend to want a bit more of a separation between uni and home, while students who opt to live in townhouses (available in County and Grizedale) tend to be some of the most sociable as townhouses house 12 students each and have a bigger communal area than other accommodations. I would recommend for your daughter to think about what type of accommodation she would feel comfortable in (en suite? smaller flats? standard?) as a starting point as not all colleges offer all types of accommodation, and then have a think about location.

The collegiate nature of Lancaster provides an extra bubble of community which can be really comforting especially in the start of first year (and great when it comes to competitions!), but you are certainly not constrained to this group. Some people really throw themselves into their college, while others (including myself) spend more time with course mates and societies. It's important to remember that your college won't define your university experience. Each college has its own bar and social spaces which have their own character, however all college spaces are open to all students and the 'vibe' of the bar doesn't necessarily reflect the students of the college:smile:

@Ghostlady has done a really good job at answering a lot of your questions. As a student myself, I would definitely agree with going to Aldi for a food shop! There is also a good Sainsburys and Lidl in town, however the Lidl is a bit further to walk from the bus stop. I was really scared about navigating buses when I started first year, but thanks to the underpass and the fact that the main bus into town is the 1A, I got the hang of it a lot quicker than I expected! Colleges also tend to offer tours of town (including the bus journey) during freshers week:smile:

I just wanted to end and reassure you/ your daughter that you can absolutely have a great time at uni without being a drinker and going every other night. Lancaster has plenty to offer no matter what you want to get out of your time at uni!

I hope this has answered your questions. If you want anything else clarified, feel free to ask again here, or you/ your daughter can speak to a student ambassador on her offer holder day!
Best wishes
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Thanks @annonymous#1

I think she was thinking about the larger accommodation and a townhouse, thinking about more chance of getting on with someone if she has 12 options which may or may not be the case and imagine it would vary townhouse to townhouse.

If she likes the look of larger accommodations, I would really recommend she also looks at superior standard. This is available in Bowland and County, so both on the North end of campus. Superior standard is in the price bracket above standard but tends to be cheaper than townhouses. Like townhouses, they have 12 rooms with a big kitchen/ living room area. I lived in Bowland superior standard in my first year and really enjoyed it. I liked that it was close to the centre of campus without being right in the middle. There were also a relatively small amount of flats so we ended up getting quite close as a building.

Generally you would share a bathroom with one more person than in a townhouse, however because these are all together rather than spread across floors its more like 4 between 12 than 1 between 2. The communal spaces in this type of accommodation also get cleaned (which you don't have in townhouses).

Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 7
Thanks @annonymous#1

Daughter played the numbers game with a grizedale townhouse of 12. Her situation was different with it being covid year, restrictions were on so they had little choice to mix flats, so a lot of the theme nights they had was weekly, plus movie nights with a projector and netflix. They made the best of a bad situation. For second year she lived with 7 of her first year flat mates in a flat above a city shop and it was a grade 2 four storey flat and it was lovely. Nice area and close to the town square. It was then the flatmates started to form their own friendship groups including herself. She joined a pub quiz team, and they often have gaming nights or dinner parties and their friendship continued to 3rd year. She chose not to live with her first year flatmates for 3rd year as although they all still go on well, they were branching out living with others, so she lives in private halls in the city with brand new people and shes really happy there. Shes chosen Chancellors wharf for 4th year.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply