The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Reading week 2023

Hi, I’m a student who holds on offer to do a comp sci foundation year next academic year.

I have two cousins getting married in the same week in October: (20-28 oct)

I’ve heard the reading week works like a half term? Would the computer science faculty have this or is it not guaranteed? When was it last year?
Hi
So I found this on the website: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/key-dates/
It doesn't show a reading week at all in Semester 1, for anyone. Only some universities do actually have them and I'm not sure if the University of Manchester is one of those. If you are desperate to know it would be worth contacting your specific faculty/school. Remember that even if you don't have an official reading week university is a lot less strict than school in terms of attendance, as long as you acknowledge the responsibility is on you to catch up! :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply!

If I was to skip out for those dates, would I have to email my professors to let them know or is there no need? (I'm asking for your opinion bc I'm assuming different professors might have different preferences)

Original post by UoS PG students
Hi
So I found this on the website: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/key-dates/
It doesn't show a reading week at all in Semester 1, for anyone. Only some universities do actually have them and I'm not sure if the University of Manchester is one of those. If you are desperate to know it would be worth contacting your specific faculty/school. Remember that even if you don't have an official reading week university is a lot less strict than school in terms of attendance, as long as you acknowledge the responsibility is on you to catch up! :smile:

Abbie
Original post by Ikuklk
Thanks for your reply!

If I was to skip out for those dates, would I have to email my professors to let them know or is there no need? (I'm asking for your opinion bc I'm assuming different professors might have different preferences)

Hi,
I would recommend you do email them - your reason is very valid so I wouldn't worry about that!
Just make sure they know in case there is anything else they might be able to help with or any further information a lecture recording might not provide :smile:
Abbie
Original post by Ikuklk
Hi, I’m a student who holds on offer to do a comp sci foundation year next academic year.

I’ve heard the reading week works like a half term? Would the computer science faculty have this or is it not guaranteed? When was it last year?

Hi
Im at UoM and did get a reading week across the dates you said above! But I do a humanities degree so I don't want to say you will definitely not get one but Manchester does have reading weeks for some courses!
Reply 5
Original post by WillowRose33!
Hi
Im at UoM and did get a reading week across the dates you said above! But I do a humanities degree so I don't want to say you will definitely not get one but Manchester does have reading weeks for some courses!

Ah great, thank you!
Original post by Ikuklk

Can I ask what A levels you took and what results you got? thank you
Reply 7
Original post by olibh
Can I ask what A levels you took and what results you got? thank you

I haven't got my A levels yet, but I took Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths and got predicted AAA

Quick Reply