The Student Room Group

NEA English a level coursework

Im struggling to start my coursework on 'the power' by Naomi alderman and 'the world's wife' by carol Ann Duffy. How do you start it and where do I get the information to help me from
Reply 1
So, I’m guessing that this essay will be heavily based around feminism. Research feminist theory and make sure you fully understand this first before beginning any essay writing. Then, annotate the question you have chosen, to ensure you fully understand the question and what you will be answering. I’m assuming that you’ve already annotated your texts, but if you haven’t, or it was annotated generally, annotate them with respect to your question. This will keep your focus and will make sure that you’re picking out the key points. If something looks like a quote from someone else, look it up and see what you find etc.

Ideally, you want critical theories specific to these texts. Look on Google scholar for essays on these texts, and see what they say and whether you can apply that to your question. For Carol Ann Duffy, this should be quite easy as she is well regarded, however I’m not sure about Naomi Alderman. Once you have that, you can begin planning your essay.

Remember that the structure of your essay should be introduction -> analysis -> conclusion. I always like to write my introduction and conclusion at the end of everything, as they are both summaries of the analysis, effectively. If your question is quite large, it may be ideal to break it down so you are answering elements of it in different paragraphs. Be sure that you are making effective comparisons with clear links, and ensure that you have a varied interpretation of these quotes and references. The word count I think is 2500 words not including quotes and the bibliography. Remember to reference each quote, critical theory, and other information that is not yours to avoid being caught out for plagiarism.

Make sure you understand the progression of feminism over the last 100 years or so. This will mean researching first, second, third, and fourth wave feminism if you have not already done this in class.

Finally, try and make sure that it is easy to make comparisons between these two texts. Don’t be like me and choose two texts that have nothing in common with each other apart from the genre. If you are still early on in your A levels, then you have plenty of time to do this. Make sure it’s something that you can write passionately about, as this will help you massively when it comes to putting all of that hard work into the final product.
Reply 2
Original post by Joohno
So, I’m guessing that this essay will be heavily based around feminism. Research feminist theory and make sure you fully understand this first before beginning any essay writing. Then, annotate the question you have chosen, to ensure you fully understand the question and what you will be answering. I’m assuming that you’ve already annotated your texts, but if you haven’t, or it was annotated generally, annotate them with respect to your question. This will keep your focus and will make sure that you’re picking out the key points. If something looks like a quote from someone else, look it up and see what you find etc.

Ideally, you want critical theories specific to these texts. Look on Google scholar for essays on these texts, and see what they say and whether you can apply that to your question. For Carol Ann Duffy, this should be quite easy as she is well regarded, however I’m not sure about Naomi Alderman. Once you have that, you can begin planning your essay.

Remember that the structure of your essay should be introduction -> analysis -> conclusion. I always like to write my introduction and conclusion at the end of everything, as they are both summaries of the analysis, effectively. If your question is quite large, it may be ideal to break it down so you are answering elements of it in different paragraphs. Be sure that you are making effective comparisons with clear links, and ensure that you have a varied interpretation of these quotes and references. The word count I think is 2500 words not including quotes and the bibliography. Remember to reference each quote, critical theory, and other information that is not yours to avoid being caught out for plagiarism.

Make sure you understand the progression of feminism over the last 100 years or so. This will mean researching first, second, third, and fourth wave feminism if you have not already done this in class.

Finally, try and make sure that it is easy to make comparisons between these two texts. Don’t be like me and choose two texts that have nothing in common with each other apart from the genre. If you are still early on in your A levels, then you have plenty of time to do this. Make sure it’s something that you can write passionately about, as this will help you massively when it comes to putting all of that hard work into the final product.

Im in year 13, I have barley finished my introduction. My English A Level has had many delays, since an amazing teacher from Year 12 left, everything went down hill from then on, and there has been 0 motivation to do anything. The class found out around a week ago that now 2 of our English teachers are leaving around Easter time which is upsetting because we will have to get used to another teachers teaching style again.

Anyway, my main theme that will be explored is the concept of free will from a feminine perspective. My sub-themes are individuality, sexuality and subjugation (collective and individual).

I had previously written a piece of coursework before on ‘The History Boys’ but I understand that that is completely different as it requires more than AO1 and AO2.

I appreciate your advice very much.
Reply 3
Original post by g4bGT
Im in year 13, I have barley finished my introduction. My English A Level has had many delays, since an amazing teacher from Year 12 left, everything went down hill from then on, and there has been 0 motivation to do anything. The class found out around a week ago that now 2 of our English teachers are leaving around Easter time which is upsetting because we will have to get used to another teachers teaching style again.

Anyway, my main theme that will be explored is the concept of free will from a feminine perspective. My sub-themes are individuality, sexuality and subjugation (collective and individual).

I had previously written a piece of coursework before on ‘The History Boys’ but I understand that that is completely different as it requires more than AO1 and AO2.

I appreciate your advice very much.

I completely understand! Both of my English A Level teachers left halfway through year twelve, leaving us with no lessons for an extended period of time. Then, the teacher we have now does not have the passion or depth needed to be a good A level teacher, so the quality of our education has fell massively. We did have a good teacher before Christmas, but she left at Christmas time due to family issues.

My advice to you now knowing this is to really make sure you understand your Assessment Objectives thoroughly, so you can ensure you are covering everything you need to to achieve a high grade. When analysing, focus on tone and structuralism; whether the word is an adverb, a verb etc. It shows that you have a good understanding of the way the writer has shaped meaning and the effect it has on the reader. Read the examiner comments on the NEA and see if there are any model answers that you can use to frame your essay. Do not reference this in your bibliography.

I hope I have helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending