The Student Room Group

Is one advanced higher enough

Im choosing my subjects for s6 and currently doing 5 highers, (with 3As a B and a C as my results for them in my prelims.)
And I’m trying to decide between doing 3highers and an AH for S6 or doing 2highers and 2AH.
So are AH really that useful and would it be better to have more highers or advanced highers?
It’s really dependent on what you are gonna do after school. Do you have any clue on what you are gonna do at uni/college?
Reply 2
Original post by fionaapple
It’s really dependent on what you are gonna do after school. Do you have any clue on what you are gonna do at uni/college?

I plan to do something along the lines of politics and modern studies based subjects or architecture
Original post by laura.mcn
I plan to do something along the lines of politics and modern studies based subjects or architecture

As a current S6 I would recommend you take the two advanced highers and just a higher, it gives you a flexible time table and more focus for those 3 subjects. Whatever subjects you decide to choose will be enough though - Universities in Scotland typically don’t ask for two advanced highers unless you are applying for second year entry.
I was a straight A student in S5 and found the step up to AH (Maths and Physics) tough. I did 2AH and 2H as our school insists 4 subjects are studied in S6. I got easy As for the 2H, but Cs for the 2AH!

Thankfully I didn't need anything in S6 as I got unconditional offers based on my S5 results (which probably influenced my motivation to revise and results), but even through my results were not great in S6 for the AH, doing them has really helped in my first year at uni (engineering) as some of the content is repeated.
Original post by laura.mcn

I just want to further emphasise how significantly different these paths are from each other and would strongly advise you to become certain which it is you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest