The Student Room Group

Dentistry applications

Question: What is your advice for a candidate applying with a mixed set of GCSE results .i.e. more 7’s than 8s) but whose predicted A level grades are sufficient for Dentistry. •Will an excellent UCAT score and personal statement secure an interview or will the initial application be rejected due to the mixed set of GCSE results? what is an excellent UCAT score?•Is it therefore best to apply once A Level results have been awarded?•Is it disadvantageous for a student to have applied and been rejected without interview in the usual cycle to then to re-apply to the same institution the following year having obtained the necessary A level results?
Reply 1
Original post by RAMBUR2023
Question: What is your advice for a candidate applying with a mixed set of GCSE results .i.e. more 7’s than 8s) but whose predicted A level grades are sufficient for Dentistry. •Will an excellent UCAT score and personal statement secure an interview or will the initial application be rejected due to the mixed set of GCSE results? what is an excellent UCAT score?•Is it therefore best to apply once A Level results have been awarded?•Is it disadvantageous for a student to have applied and been rejected without interview in the usual cycle to then to re-apply to the same institution the following year having obtained the necessary A level results?

1. Most unis will tell you their min. GCSE requirements and unless they have a ranking system- you only need the minimum grades (eg. manchester 5 7's). So if you have higher- you won't be advantaged in any way so as long as your predicted also match up- you'll be fine, just check out their requirements. 2. An excellent UCAT will definitely put you in a good position- but you have to research what your unis selection process is (ranking ucat first, or GCSEs first?). and again a mixed set of GCSEs will not disadvantage you as long as you have the min requirements. But they usually have specific requirments for gcse english and maths- so be wary of that 3. Ucat thresholds change from year to year- getting slightly higher every year. check out the ucat page for previous years results and research your unis previous ucat cutoff/ threshold- this should give you a good idea. some unis will be more lenient- others will not, so apply strategically. personally, i would aim for 2700-2800 and above to be in a good position, however it is not the end of the world if you get slightly lower- just apply strategically!!! 4. Applying after you've done your a levels is a personal choice. 5. Sometimes unis say that you can apply max twice if you get rejected pre interview however I dont think there is an explicit disadvantage if you have been rejected before. Check out the unis page. If rejection was due to a level results, you probably won't reapply to that same uni anyways, however if it was due to a low ucat, you may wish to apply again the following year if you get a higher result. Hope this helped!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest