The Student Room Group

Problem with housemates due to disability

I live with four other people, in on-campus accommodation where all energy bills are included with the rent and as far as I know there is no cap where any extra heat would cost us.

I have a disability affecting my nerves which causes heat intolerance and excessive sweating. I'm also autistic, and get really stressed out when I'm too hot or sweating to the point where I've had sensory overload and a meltdown this week because the heat is always on in the house all the time. I get like this even during the cold months but where we are it's starting to warm up outside. The house is very well insulated anyway and I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's too hot because my dad has complained about it before when he visits.

I have one housemate who has turned on every single radiator in the house, on full heat. There was even a point where they were using the oven as a space heater, leaving it on and open even when there was no one in the kitchen and I've since asked for it to be turned off when not being used in the groupchat because I think it's unnecessary and dangerous. No one directly responded to my text but I haven't seen the oven left on since. However a while ago I couldn't cope with the heat and turned off all the radiators, but they've since been turned back on and my housemate texted the group saying to not turn off the heat.

I'm always really nervous around bringing up problems with housemates and I don't want to start an argument or fight, but at the same time I can no longer cope with the heat in this house. I want to explain why the heat is so bad for me but I also don't want to guilt anyone into doing anything because of my disability. I don't know if I can convince them to turn the heat down without mentioning it, though. What do I do?
Can the thermostat not be turned down a bit and your radiator turned off.I get the overheating thing as I hate it being too hot but do not want my family to freeze either .Maybe the girl who likes heat could get a portable radiator to provide extra heat in her room they are only about £20 quid.
You don't like heat and she does but what makes her preference more valid than yours.Call a house meeting and discuss solutions.Do not feel you cannot express a preference because you have a disability
Original post by Anonymous
I live with four other people, in on-campus accommodation where all energy bills are included with the rent and as far as I know there is no cap where any extra heat would cost us.

I have a disability affecting my nerves which causes heat intolerance and excessive sweating. I'm also autistic, and get really stressed out when I'm too hot or sweating to the point where I've had sensory overload and a meltdown this week because the heat is always on in the house all the time. I get like this even during the cold months but where we are it's starting to warm up outside. The house is very well insulated anyway and I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's too hot because my dad has complained about it before when he visits.

I have one housemate who has turned on every single radiator in the house, on full heat. There was even a point where they were using the oven as a space heater, leaving it on and open even when there was no one in the kitchen and I've since asked for it to be turned off when not being used in the groupchat because I think it's unnecessary and dangerous. No one directly responded to my text but I haven't seen the oven left on since. However a while ago I couldn't cope with the heat and turned off all the radiators, but they've since been turned back on and my housemate texted the group saying to not turn off the heat.

I'm always really nervous around bringing up problems with housemates and I don't want to start an argument or fight, but at the same time I can no longer cope with the heat in this house. I want to explain why the heat is so bad for me but I also don't want to guilt anyone into doing anything because of my disability. I don't know if I can convince them to turn the heat down without mentioning it, though. What do I do?

In the group tell them that you turned the heat off due to your disability and whether there was a compromise we could all come to. Leave some on, some off, or leave heaters on but half on?

Open dialogue is very beneficial in these kinds of situations.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi Anonymous,
Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your housemates. Like the other posters have said, it may be worth bringing up with your housemates your disability and how the heat is affecting you. As nervous as you may feel, it might be that they just aren't aware of how their actions are impacting you and you could easily reach a compromise. If this doesn't work, it may be worth speaking to your accommodation team. They might be able to advise a solution, explain how the heating works or let you know if there is a room available in another flat, should the situation with your flatmates not improve and you no longer wish to stay in your current flat.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem with your flatmates.

I would definitely recommend bringing up this issue with your flatmates. I think you will find discussion between yourself and rest of your housemates will be a good thing and they may be a lot more understanding of your situation than you think.

After discussion with your housemates you might be able to come to a compromise such as generally lowering the thermostat and amount of radiators on or they may be willing to buy plug in heaters.

I am also quite a nervous individual and do not like conflict but I generally find other individuals are more understanding then you think.

I really hope this helps - Kyle Sheffield Hallam student ambassador

Hi,

I think it would be worth speaking to your housemates about it and trying to make them understand what is going on. They may just not be aware of your disability so by having a chat with them it keeps the lines of communication open.
You could also try speaking with accommodation services as they may be able to offer some guidance.

Im sorry you are dealing with this and hope it all improves,

Ellen
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest