The Student Room Group

GCSE maths

Hello,

So I have my GCSEs in about 2 months and want a 8 or 9 in maths. I have done a few sets of past papers and marking them. When then referring to the grade boundaries for that specific year I am getting 7s. Eventhough you only need a 7 in maths to do alevel, I still want a 8 as I think it will help me during alevel. How can I get 8-9? I am struggling to indicate which exact topics I need more revision on and hence stressing a lot. So can someone please help me ?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You mentioned doing practise papers - which is a good way to revise! Have you tried topic questions on Maths Genie (they have a lot of questions on each topic within the GCSE)?? I recommend using them to practise :smile:
Do flash cards for all the formulas and everything that you could. Revise them everyday. Now how you have 2 months to go, try to motivate yourself to revise. Cause I did the mistake of being lazy/procrastinating and I was worried sick for most of the gcse exams. Math isn't a note heavy subject so the best thing you can do is past papers and topic questions. I would advise doing past papers later on (so the earliest like a month before hand) because you will have study leave and that gives you plenty of time. Try doing topic questions and writing some flash cards (they really do help). physicsandmathstutor.com and savemyexams.com are very good resources for revision. i think Znotes also is quite good (though haven't used it for gcse's).

Mainly math is all about practice and finding your mistakes, if you repeatedly have a problem with for example quadratic questions, then try doing topic questions on that. Though final thing, don't neglect your other subjects, have a revision plan you can follow.
Reply 3
Original post by Arianna:D
You mentioned doing practise papers - which is a good way to revise! Have you tried topic questions on Maths Genie (they have a lot of questions on each topic within the GCSE)?? I recommend using them to practise :smile:

Hello,

thank you. Yes-I use maths genie, but when i struggle identifying the topics I need help at most?

thanks
Original post by Noshy-Nosh
Hello,

thank you. Yes-I use maths genie, but when i struggle identifying the topics I need help at most?

thanks

To help you identify the topics you're struggling with look at where you're losing marks, they're the topics you need to work on
Reply 5
Original post by thrivingfrog
To help you identify the topics you're struggling with look at where you're losing marks, they're the topics you need to work on

Thank you- is getting 7s at this stage bad?
Thank you- is getting 7s at this stage bad?

Not at all! A 7 itself is a good grade and you still have plenty of time to improve your grade :smile:
I was at a 7 at this point last year and managed to push it up so don't worry
Reply 7
Not at all! A 7 itself is a good grade and you still have plenty of time to improve your grade :smile:
I was at a 7 at this point last year and managed to push it up so don't worry

To push up your grade did you just practice your weak topics?
To push up your grade did you just practice your weak topics?

Pretty much, past paper questions are the way to go. This is the same if you do a-level, I have my mock tomorrow for maths and I've been doing past paper questions all day :woo:
Reply 9
Pretty much, past paper questions are the way to go. This is the same if you do a-level, I have my mock tomorrow for maths and I've been doing past paper questions all day :woo:

Thank you- good luck on ur mock!
Hello,

So I have my GCSEs in about 2 months and want a 8 or 9 in maths. I have done a few sets of past papers and marking them. When then referring to the grade boundaries for that specific year I am getting 7s. Eventhough you only need a 7 in maths to do alevel, I still want a 8 as I think it will help me during alevel. How can I get 8-9? I am struggling to indicate which exact topics I need more revision on and hence stressing a lot. So can someone please help me ?

Thanks

Edexcel or ?
Original post by Muttley79
Edexcel or ?

Yep. Edexcel
Yep. Edexcel

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/

Both have questions by topic ... are you RAG rating each past paper?
Hello,

Thanks

past papers will be ur bestie. do alot of them
I
i reccomend watching gce maths turoe, he has many grade 9 question playlist for you to have a go at.
Hello,

Thanks
Original post by Muttley79
Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/

Both have questions by topic ... are you RAG rating each past paper?

Wdym..like red, amber, green? No I haven’t...why do people do that?

thanks
Reply 16
Hello,

Thanks

We will have an equation sheet in higher so hopefully that lifts some of the weight such as sine and cosine rule i think trig formulas and a couple others
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Missmu
We will have an equation sheet in higher so hopefully that lifts some of the weight such as sine and cosine rule i think trig formulas and a couple others

Seriously, you should have a look at the sheet. There's barely anything there that can help and you have to know how to use those formulas in the first place, you should really still revise :smile:
Wdym..like red, amber, green? No I haven’t...why do people do that?

thanks

RAG rating is the most effective way of using any test/homework as a formative assessment.

RED - need to re-learn
AMBER - got some marks but need to do more questions - this is the area to focus on first for rapid improvement
GREEN- topics I know and just need to keep ticking over.
Usually 7 is achieved by knowing the content. And then the higher grades are achieved by doing past papers and practising applying the knowledge.

Quick Reply