The Student Room Group

Is English Language A-Level a facilitating subject?

I know that facilitating subjects don’t really exist anymore but I still feel they may be a good starting point for picking my a-levels. Does anyone know if A-level English Language counted as facilitating because English Literature was on the list and so were ‘languages’, but I don’t know if English Language was included? Thanks
Original post by DancerGirl23
I know that facilitating subjects don’t really exist anymore but I still feel they may be a good starting point for picking my a-levels. Does anyone know if A-level English Language counted as facilitating because English Literature was on the list and so were ‘languages’, but I don’t know if English Language was included? Thanks

As you say, the concept doesn't exist anymore so it's a slightly odd question.

When the list did exist, English Literature was included but not English Language.
Original post by DataVenia
As you say, the concept doesn't exist anymore so it's a slightly odd question.

When the list did exist, English Literature was included but not English Language.

Thanks. I just thought that the subjects that were on the list would maybe be a bit more challenging for me to consider taking.
Reply 3
You just need to pay attention to programme-specific essential courses now, not the old facilitating things.
Thanks. I just thought that the subjects that were on the list would maybe be a bit more challenging for me to consider taking.

Well, the full list (as originally published here; see page 25) is below:

"Subjects that can be viewed as ‘facilitating’ subjects are:
Mathematics and Further Mathematics
English (Literature)
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages (Classical and Modern)"

Are all these "challenging"? (Do keep in mind that the Russell Group have abandoned the list.)

The best advice is normally to pick the subjects which are listed as required for the degree course you want to pursue, the subjects you enjoy most, and the subjects in which you expect to get the best grades.
Original post by DataVenia
Well, the full list (as originally published here; see page 25) is below:

"Subjects that can be viewed as ‘facilitating’ subjects are:
Mathematics and Further Mathematics
English (Literature)
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages (Classical and Modern)"

Are all these "challenging"? (Do keep in mind that the Russell Group have abandoned the list.)

The best advice is normally to pick the subjects which are listed as required for the degree course you want to pursue, the subjects you enjoy most, and the subjects in which you expect to get the best grades.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I’ll have another look at the a-levels I want to take.
Original post by gjd800
You just need to pay attention to programme-specific essential courses now, not the old facilitating things.

I don't even know what facilitating things are.....I did my A-levels 10 years ago, and I don't recall that concept existing back then?
Original post by gjd800

Ok thanks
As noted facilitating subjects is a no longer used concept. It was withdrawn by its originators (the Russell Group) because students became confused and thought facilitating subjects were "better" subjects rather than what they actually were: subjects that serve as prerequisites for one or more degree programmes. The reason English lit was a facilitating subject was because literature degrees normally require A-level English Literature. It's no better or worse than English lit for any purpose otherwise.
Reply 9
Original post by Failedlawyer33
I don't even know what facilitating things are.....I did my A-levels 10 years ago, and I don't recall that concept existing back then?

They did, they were withdrawn fairly recently, maybe 2019? I did A Levels 20 years ago and they were not a thing then. From memory, I think the RG mightve introduced them in 2010/11.
Original post by gjd800
They did, they were withdrawn fairly recently, maybe 2019? I did A Levels 20 years ago and they were not a thing then. From memory, I think the RG mightve introduced them in 2010/11.

Somehow, I must have just not heard of them! Despite the fact I applied to Cambridge and RG universities....
Ok thanks for your replies everyone :smile:

Heya!
There is no such thing as a facilitating subject anymore. I would recommend checking the entry requirements of the course on the uni page :h: They also tend to list what a-levels they accept which you could find helpful.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
There is no such thing as a facilitating subject anymore. I would recommend checking the entry requirements of the course on the uni page :h: They also tend to list what a-levels they accept which you could find helpful.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you! I will check some uni pages out!

Quick Reply

Latest