The Student Room Group

a level French last minute revision tips edexcel

does anyone have tips? ive got my mocks in two days and havent revised much, partially because im unsure how to.. my teacher said mainly focus on vocabulary as its the reading, listening and translation paper, so I have done a little bit of memrise most days for the past two weeks, focusing on the vocabulary for the topics we've studied but I don't know what else to do apart from going over grammar and perhaps a past paper - any help would be appreciated! these are my first set of mocks so we don't have real predicted grades but my MLG and MEG are A and A* and they are obviously subject to change after these mocks so I really want to do well
Is this year 12 mocks?
I just had my a-level mocks a couple weeks ago and i revised pretty last minute but got pretty good marks and honestly for paper 1 all that needs to be done is look at vocab and practice some grammar structures which I'd just do by practicing listening and reading summaries and translations - they're the hardest bit.
Reply 2
Original post by Jeparlepas
Is this year 12 mocks?
I just had my a-level mocks a couple weeks ago and i revised pretty last minute but got pretty good marks and honestly for paper 1 all that needs to be done is look at vocab and practice some grammar structures which I'd just do by practicing listening and reading summaries and translations - they're the hardest bit.

yes this is year 12 - thank you so much! will focus on translations
Reply 3
Original post by user93_
does anyone have tips? ive got my mocks in two days and havent revised much, partially because im unsure how to.. my teacher said mainly focus on vocabulary as its the reading, listening and translation paper, so I have done a little bit of memrise most days for the past two weeks, focusing on the vocabulary for the topics we've studied but I don't know what else to do apart from going over grammar and perhaps a past paper - any help would be appreciated! these are my first set of mocks so we don't have real predicted grades but my MLG and MEG are A and A* and they are obviously subject to change after these mocks so I really want to do well

I hope your mocks went well! For future mocks and exams, I got an A* last year in my A Level, I suggest doing a few things:
- Make infinite flashcards for vocab, as many as you can for words directly and indirectly associated with the themes
- When using the flash cards, mostly do it so that you show yourself the english word and have to remember the french word (this kills two birds with one stone, as translating from french to english is a lot easier than vice versa), and also you should use these cards orally. Say the english, then say the french etc. It helps pronunciation and creates muscle memory
- Ask yourself regularly 'what is this english word in french?' whilst casually existing, and search it up.
- Work through your text book, with translations etc.
- Do as many practise papers as possible, redoing them as well. Do those of different exam boards too. French is French. This really helps with listening too, maybe ask your teacher to give you loads of listening files if you can't find ones for the exams online
- Grammar revison requires repitition; ask your teacher for never-ending questions on the difference between que and qui and all that sorta stuff
- When it comes to speaking, ask yourself a question orally and answer it out loud
- Read current affair articles as well (download France24 on your phone), and any word you don't know - make a flash card.

Oh also, turning your phone into french is handy if you haven't already.

Good luck for future exams! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest