The Student Room Group

Is it sus when a guy goes out of his way to not post his girl online?

I know there are people who will say “Not everything needs to be online” mate I know. I’m not talking about posting about your significant other regularly.

I have met guys that won’t post anything to do with their girlfriend. This is kind of a rule they’ve made and I find it really weird. One of these guys was quite flirtatious and would like other women’s pictures (it was mostly influencers but still) and have that be public on his Twitter but posting his own girl is too much.

The only way you know these guys aren’t single is if you realise the girl is commenting under their post regularly or if she has a picture up with him. I know some guys might find it cringy to post with their girlfriend but I can’t help be sus of some of them. Why don’t you want people to know you ain’t single bro?
Privacy.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I know there are people who will say “Not everything needs to be online” mate I know. I’m not talking about posting about your significant other regularly.

I have met guys that won’t post anything to do with their girlfriend. This is kind of a rule they’ve made and I find it really weird. One of these guys was quite flirtatious and would like other women’s pictures (it was mostly influencers but still) and have that be public on his Twitter but posting his own girl is too much.

The only way you know these guys aren’t single is if you realise the girl is commenting under their post regularly or if she has a picture up with him. I know some guys might find it cringy to post with their girlfriend but I can’t help be sus of some of them. Why don’t you want people to know you ain’t single bro?

No. Privacy and security matter, especially if it's something like social media where you have very little control over who's seeing it and where it might go/what it might get used for. I'm fairly active on social media but I don't post my own face or full name or those of my friends/partners because it would risk our safety. Liking someone else's pictures doesn't give away usable information about yourself, it's very different from posting your own pictures/details (whether or not his girlfriend considers it ok for him to like other women's pictures etc is a different conversation of course). It's also perfectly understandable if he's regularly posting pictures of himself/friends etc but specifically not his girlfriend - she may have different needs or standards for privacy than him, and other people who they need to hide the relationship from might be able to see their public posts.

BUT if he doesn't talk about his girlfriend in private conversations that's hella sus and a massive red flag. If you're in a relationship the people in your life should know (with safety exceptions for family/exes etc of course but that's about it, I'd be suspicious of someone hiding their relationship from anyone else without good reason). Avoiding public posting for privacy reasons is fine (and sensible imo), but pretending to be single with people you know or seeing your relationship as 'cringey' is not ok, you should be proud of your partner
(edited 11 months ago)
I barely post anything about relationships online. I generally find that kind of content insufferable and of little interest to anyone.
Reply 4
Original post by JaceW98
No. Privacy and security matter, especially if it's something like social media where you have very little control over who's seeing it and where it might go/what it might get used for. I'm fairly active on social media but I don't post my own face or full name or those of my friends/partners because it would risk our safety. Liking someone else's pictures doesn't give away usable information about yourself, it's very different from posting your own pictures/details (whether or not his girlfriend considers it ok for him to like other women's pictures etc is a different conversation of course). It's also perfectly understandable if he's regularly posting pictures of himself/friends etc but specifically not his girlfriend - she may have different needs or standards for privacy than him, and other people who they need to hide the relationship from might be able to see their public posts.

BUT if he doesn't talk about his girlfriend in private conversations that's hella sus and a massive red flag. If you're in a relationship the people in your life should know (with safety exceptions for family/exes etc of course but that's about it, I'd be suspicious of someone hiding their relationship from anyone else without good reason). Avoiding public posting for privacy reasons is fine (and sensible imo), but pretending to be single with people you know or seeing your relationship as 'cringey' is not ok, you should be proud of your partner

He does post pictures of himself and his friends. Some accounts are private but he follows back everyone so not really that private, the rest of his social media are public. He actually had a picture of his female best friend online as well, they’re defo friends I’m not implying it’s anything more. But it’s a bit sus that you go out of yo ur way to specifically put no info on your relationship status in that context. This is not something his past girlfriends cared for, they always had his pics or would talk about him here and there. It’s him that would never mention anything about them. I just find it sus considering he had random women on his socials, I know he’s one of those guys to stare at an attractive girl so that they notice and flirt because I’ve been one of them, and yeah I had no idea he was with someone.

It’s now become a huge red flag to me after seeing this guy. Yeah it’s not always a red flag, it really depends on a lot of things but he’s always been private about his girlfriends specifically. He doesn’t talk about his career much either but in terms of people, he’s fine posting everyone else once in a while.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
I barely post anything about relationships online. I generally find that kind of content insufferable and of little interest to anyone.

No I get it, but I find it weird when they go out of their way to hide that and then say it’s for privacy when they’re fine showing everyone else in their life and the girlfriend is defo posting pics of them.
No I get it, but I find it weird when they go out of their way to hide that and then say it’s for privacy when they’re fine showing everyone else in their life and the girlfriend is defo posting pics of them.

My partner definitely posts a couple of pics. I don't know if I ever have. Did update my relationship status though. If someone cared enough they could find it out, but it's just not anything I would ever post about.
I don't see an issue here.

You wouldn't know who I'm with from my social media pages. My girlfriend and I keep things very private in that regard. Talk to either of us directly though and we won't hesitate to tell you that we are together. And if you saw us in person you wouldn't even have to ask - you would know from the way we interact.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
My partner definitely posts a couple of pics. I don't know if I ever have. Did update my relationship status though. If someone cared enough they could find it out, but it's just not anything I would ever post about.

Yeah I don’t think I’m the type of person to do that either. It’s not about who can find out it’s just more of “Why are you hiding it?” I wouldn’t go out of my way to not post anything about my relationship but I wouldn’t go out of my way to post anything either. As far as I could tell, he didn’t have a status or anything. I’m very sure it’s not something he hides in real life but he defo hid it on social media, and based on the fact that this guy used to acknowledge me everytime we met I find that sus. No we wouldn’t chat because we didn’t know each other, but he would make sure I knew he was there and that I knew of his presence.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of girls he had that sort of chemistry with that he didn’t want knowing he was with someone.
Reply 9
Original post by 1582
I don't see an issue here.

You wouldn't know who I'm with from my social media pages. My girlfriend and I keep things very private in that regard. Talk to either of us directly though and we won't hesitate to tell you that we are together. And if you saw us in person you wouldn't even have to ask - you would know from the way we interact.

Yeah I’m talking about couples that aren’t like that. Like one would show him off every now and then and talk about him and the other wouldn’t talk about her at all. You wouldn’t be able to tell unless you saw her comments under his posts, even then it wasn’t really clear. They could have been really good friends, but her posts made it more obvious.

On top of that he would like other women’s pics like influencers and stuff and they would be bikini pics or sexual pictures. Not innocent things and I know she had an issue with that because again, she made it obvious from her posts. I think he did have a status talking about how jealousy brings out the worst in some people with a waving hand as to say goodbye but that was it 🤷*♀️

Keeping it low-key…
Yeah I’m talking about couples that aren’t like that. Like one would show him off every now and then and talk about him and the other wouldn’t talk about her at all. You wouldn’t be able to tell unless you saw her comments under his posts, even then it wasn’t really clear. They could have been really good friends, but her posts made it more obvious.

On top of that he would like other women’s pics like influencers and stuff and they would be bikini pics or sexual pictures. Not innocent things and I know she had an issue with that because again, she made it obvious from her posts. I think he did have a status talking about how jealousy brings out the worst in some people with a waving hand as to say goodbye but that was it 🤷*♀️

I've definitely been in relationships like this and it wasn't about trying to hide that I was with someone, it was just that our ways of engaging with social media were very different. My ex-girlfriend would document everything about her life, including our relationship, on Twitter. I found it a bit embarrassing, honestly. I think the only time I posted about her in the eight months we were together was to retweet a podcast she made an appearance on.

The internet doesn't need to know whether you're single or in a relationship. The only people who care to know are those who are potentially interested in you - and those people can just reach out and ask if they really want to know!
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest