The Student Room Group

2023 Applicants - do you understand how student finance works?

Poll

2023 Applicants - do you understand how student finance works?

If you've applied to start uni in September, the practicalities of getting your finances sorted might be starting to occupy your mind. :beard:

Over the years we've seen students asking loads of questions about student finance - it can be a lot to take in! Actually, we asked this same poll question in March last year, and only about 20% of you felt like you were fully in-the-know about how it all works.

We were wondering how you're getting on now? Student finance applications are now open, and you can find heaps of info here to help you make sense of it. If you've still got questions, you can also chat to one of the incredible Student Finance England staff who are on TSR in our Ask Student Finance England forum. FYI - the deadline for new full-time students to apply is 19th May this year. :smile:

Remember, we're all here to help. :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

In my final year and I still do not understand how it works.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
In my final year and I still do not understand how it works.

It can be a little confusing can't it! Is there anything in particular you still struggle with understanding?
Original post by StrawberryDreams
It can be a little confusing can't it! Is there anything in particular you still struggle with understanding?

Everything.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Everything.

Fair enough! We have some helpful info here if you need it on our Student Finance hub, but there is lots of useful info online for particular areas you may be struggling with - if anything springs to mind let me know and I'll have a dig around :smile:
ok.
I can't apply for SAAS until April. :frown: I'm just sitting on my hands right now it feels like! As a postgraduate I have full time work right now, and I don't intend on handing my notice in at work until I have things like finance & accommodation secured. Feels very last minute to open applications so late!
ill be starting uni sept 2023, student finance opens this month right ? I think some of it is hard to understand because there's no info on literally step by step what happens when u apply
Original post by EarlyGrey
I can't apply for SAAS until April. :frown: I'm just sitting on my hands right now it feels like! As a postgraduate I have full time work right now, and I don't intend on handing my notice in at work until I have things like finance & accommodation secured. Feels very last minute to open applications so late!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown: It's hard waiting but hopefully you'll be able to get things sorted asap.

Original post by izzy4509x
ill be starting uni sept 2023, student finance opens this month right ? I think some of it is hard to understand because there's no info on literally step by step what happens when u apply

Yes! Applications opened this week and you can apply here.

We have some really useful information here if you need some extra assistance :smile:
I'm sorry to hear this :frown: It's hard waiting but hopefully you'll be able to get things sorted asap.

Yes! Applications opened this week and you can apply here.

We have some really useful information here if you need some extra assistance :smile:

When's the deadline for applications?
Reply 10
Useful online session about Student Finance from Uni of Bath coming up on 23 March at 6.30pm
https://www.bath.ac.uk/events/supporting-your-child-student-finance-scholarships-bursaries-and-budgeting/
Original post by Talkative Toad
When's the deadline for applications?

19th May 2023 for new students, 23rd June 2023 for current students :smile:
Was relatively easy for me, completed in like 10 mins (starting undergrad this year)
Original post by CoolJames_16
Was relatively easy for me, completed in like 10 mins (starting undergrad this year)

Great news! Glad it was an easy process :smile:
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 14
will be applying for student finance tonight!! its making me excited for uni haha
will be applying for student finance tonight!! its making me excited for uni haha

Yay how exciting! I know, it makes it feel so much more real doesn't it :biggrin: Where have you applied to?
Reply 16
Yay how exciting! I know, it makes it feel so much more real doesn't it :biggrin: Where have you applied to?

Liverpool is my top choice and I applied for accommodation as soon as the applications opened :biggrin: cant wait
Liverpool is my top choice and I applied for accommodation as soon as the applications opened :biggrin: cant wait

Ahh amazing! Sounds wonderful :biggrin:
19th May 2023 for new students, 23rd June 2023 for current students :smile:

Thanks
Reply 19
I applied for student finance yesterday and they specifically say that you can change the university to a different one later on, on the website.

Quick Reply