The Student Room Group

I'm stressed

I'm really stressed right now and would appreciate it if people would stop going out of their way to be mean. I can't handle any more stress.
Original post by noelissocute
I'm really stressed right now and would appreciate it if people would stop going out of their way to be mean. I can't handle any more stress.

Are the people who are "going out of their way to be mean" doing so on TSR? Or is this an "in real life" thing?
Language is powerful; it can inspire, it can harm. Language has meaning. What might help you is considering what brings meaning to words: and the ultimate answer here is that it’s human to bring meaning to language. If I were to call you ‘dummkopf’ you wouldn’t feel anything - why? it’s because you have no knowledge (presumably) of the german language, and thus you don’t understand what I am saying, thus you don’t ascribe meaning to it. If I now tell you that dummkopf means “fool or idiot” you may feel some way about it. Ultimately, the important thing here is that you cannot control what others say, you can’t control what others do. But what you do have control over is how you act and how you react. It is upsetting, especially when you’re already stressed. This is normal, and I am not invalidating the way you feel - you are allowed to be upset or stressed about remarks such as those. However, though emotions are a huge part of being human, we also possess rationality/reason. With reason, you can assist your emotions, and understand that though the words are upsetting, and that it is affecting you, you have the power to acknowledge and validate your emotions whilst using your reason to deal with these emotions and process them. Emotional control and understanding is difficult, but not impossible.

I hope this helps you somehow, and I hope that you will soon be in a position where you feel less stressed and upset.
Original post by DataVenia
Are the people who are "going out of their way to be mean" doing so on TSR? Or is this an "in real life" thing?

Just in general but on here especially

Honestly, TSR isn't worth it. Most posts and threads are garbage and unhelpful. You can always delete your account or stop going onto the website if you find it irrelevant.

OK. On here, there are all sort of Community Guidelines which all users need to adhere to. For example:

"Be friendly to other users and be mindful of the tone you use on site. There's no need to be hostile and aggressive just because you disagree with someone.

Don’t insult people, don’t patronise or belittle them and don’t make personal attacks.

We don’t allow bullying or harassment. This includes abusive language, revealing others’ personal or sensitive information or inciting or engaging others to do any of the same.

We may remove expressions of abuse, including threats or degrading statements intended to mock, humiliate, embarrass, intimidate, or hurt an individual. TSR cannot condone content that insults or disparages an individual on the basis of attributes."

If you find people making posts which violate any of the above guidelines, then report them using the "Report" link in the top-right corner of the post. The more we report posts which break the guidelines, the better place TSR ends-up being for all of us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending