The Student Room Group

Getting a job in mental health

Hey
I'm currently in my 3rd year doing Psychology with Criminology. I want to get a job in mental health with the aim of becoming a psychotherapist - hoping for some advice on what kind of job I should be looking for/what the path is to becoming a psychotherapist?
Appreciate any help
Reply 1
Original post by username6084867
Hey
I'm currently in my 3rd year doing Psychology with Criminology. I want to get a job in mental health with the aim of becoming a psychotherapist - hoping for some advice on what kind of job I should be looking for/what the path is to becoming a psychotherapist?
Appreciate any help

Hi!

A good place to start might be to look at support worker or health care assistant roles. I started out with a company called Choice Support working with adults with learning disabilities, then moved into a support worker role on a mental health ward in the NHS. I then moved onto working as a recovery worker in a substance misuse service, but my experience in support work really helped get me there. It would be helpful to look for support worker roles in the NHS, roles in mental health charities, substance misuse services, learning disability services, helplines, etc. Any helping roles would be beneficial!

You will also need to complete further training in counselling and/or psychotherapy alongside this work.
Hi, sorry to just jump on this post. I noticed you have worked as a recovery worker I was wondering if you could give me advice as I have a interview as recovery worker. It is point based and I'm really keen to get it.
Tia 😊

Quick Reply