The Student Room Group

6th form to study medicine

So for 6th form I chose the subjects physics,biology,chemistry and psychology would like to study medicine
My predicted grades for science (combined higher) is 9-8
And psychology is 8 my question is will I have to get a good grade for math cause I do foundation and i never felt the need to do higher and cause the 6th form I’ve applied too it would say chemistry 7 but it never said anything about maths I’m only asking cause apparently it’s needed and when u go into uni they look at maths if you want to study medicine I hope this kinda false just cause I’ve worked hard for science and psychology so I’m not sure if maths is needed, my grade for maths foundation is 5. chemistry Ik theres maths skills but I find it easy to do but yeah if anyone can clarify it would help a lot :smile:
Original post by Sunny6789
So for 6th form I chose the subjects physics,biology,chemistry and psychology would like to study medicine
And psychology is 8 my question is will I have to get a good grade for math cause I do foundation and i never felt the need to do higher and cause the 6th form I’ve applied too it would say chemistry 7 but it never said anything about maths I’m only asking cause apparently it’s needed and when u go into uni they look at maths if you want to study medicine I hope this kinda false just cause I’ve worked hard for science and psychology so I’m not sure if maths is needed, my grade for maths foundation is 5. chemistry Ik theres maths skills but I find it easy to do but yeah if anyone can clarify it would help a lot :smile:

Hey, I'm a Year 12 also looking to study medicine so hope this helps.
Basically med schools have a minimum GCSE requirement that you have to hit, so it'll be something like 6 GCSEs or more at grade 7 or above. Make sure to check the GCSE requirements for any unis you are looking to apply to, because they might be different. Also, look at how they weight each aspect of your application. So most unis look at your UCAT score and and rank you by that, but there are also other aspects (like I know one uni does a weighting on 75% academics and 25% UCAT). In some of the unis that weight academics more, it might (?) be a disadvantage (especially for somewhere like Oxford), but it would be interesting to hear everyone else's perspective on this as I'm by no means an expert :smile: Hope this helps at least a bit and good luck, let me know if you have any more questions!
You should check the requirements of the medical schools, many have minimum grade requirements in maths of 6 or above, which can't be attained doing foundation. You may want to discuss with your teacher the option to do higher tier GCSE Maths.

Note that some medical schools do score GCSEs and look at number and proportion of 8/9 grades for example. One of the more GCSE heavy medical school is Cardiff. So doing any foundation tier GCSEs immediately makes you much less competitive for those medical schools as you aren't as likely to score the number of points needed to get an interview.

Also I'd note there is no benefit in doing 4 A-levels - unis, including medical schools do not give you "bonus points" for doing extra A-levels (I think there are only one or two exceptions - QUB I think might for example, but that's because in NI they still do modular A-levels and so AS levels or extra A-levels are more common there).
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey @Sunny6789
I would say that when you get to university level in the life sciences and medicine, having a good foundation in maths will really benefit you, especially when you get to some organic and biochemistry modules, statistics and data analysis for case studies, etc. You should hopefully cover a lot of 'science specific' maths in chemistry and physics but it will hit you quite hard if the last time you studied maths was at GCSE, so do a little self-study as you go to keep on top of it :smile:

There is more than one way to get into studying medicine, and it can be quite competitive. I had a colleague on my course who did the first year of a Biomedical Science degree and then transferred in their second year to studying medicine at a different university so you can keep your options open.

Good luck!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Heya!
This medical comparison tool will help you with looking at different entry requirements :h: Typically medical schools are looking for chem and bio, with 3rd alvl being optional in most cases. Try sticking to 3 alvls as 4 can get overwhelming!
As others have said, it's also important to have a good maths foundation!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
You should check the requirements of the medical schools, many have minimum grade requirements in maths of 6 or above, which can't be attained doing foundation. You may want to discuss with your teacher the option to do higher tier GCSE Maths.

Note that some medical schools do score GCSEs and look at number and proportion of 8/9 grades for example. One of the more GCSE heavy medical school is Cardiff. So doing any foundation tier GCSEs immediately makes you much less competitive for those medical schools as you aren't as likely to score the number of points needed to get an interview.

Also I'd note there is no benefit in doing 4 A-levels - unis, including medical schools do not give you "bonus points" for doing extra A-levels (I think there are only one or two exceptions - QUB I think might for example, but that's because in NI they still do modular A-levels and so AS levels or extra A-levels are more common there).

Ahh okay thankyou
My grades for other subjects
English language 8
English lit 9
Drama 8
Science 9-8
Spanish 7
Geography 8
Psychology 8
Re 9
Maths 5
And yes I’ll definitely not do 4 alevels bio,chemistry and psychology will do
Also medical schools do they look at your alevel results more than ur gcse
Ahh okay thankyou
My grades for other subjects
English language 8
English lit 9
Drama 8
Science 9-8
Spanish 7
Geography 8
Psychology 8
Re 9
Maths 5
And yes I’ll definitely not do 4 alevels bio,chemistry and psychology will do
Also medical schools do they look at your alevel results more than ur gcse

Depends on the medical school. Some are very GCSE heavy (like Cardiff) others only require you meet minimum grades in GCSE English/Maths and thereafter just look at your UCAT/BMAT/A-levels/etc (e.g. Imperial). Part of the process of applying to medical school is researching the methodologies used by each medical school and understanding the differences to apply tactically (since there are no "better" or "worse" medical schools anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest