The Student Room Group

A Level Biology OCR A vs OCR B

How different are they? I know OCR B is a lot harder because it requires more context based knowledge, but what is the difference between the two? If you learned OCR A content and sat an OCR B paper, will it have much of a difference?
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't know your reason for asking but suggest reading through and comparing the two syllabuses. Then have a look at their respective past papers and the mark scheme.

You will discover for yourself the difference.

All the best,

:hello:
Original post by iamtee
How different are they? I know OCR B is a lot harder because it requires more context based knowledge, but what is the difference between the two? If you learned OCR A content and sat an OCR B paper, will it have much of a difference?

Im in year 13 and I’m due to sit OCR a A level biology. I think that both exam boards are similar but OCR A requires more application based knowledge. There’s hardly ever any recall practice. Exam questions are downright nasty, and a lot of PAG knowledge is required. But why should you want to know the difference? If your looking for an easier exam board why don’t you look into AQA??
There is no easier boards unfortunately just boards the the suit one way of thinking than over another. Students don't normally get a choice in the matter. It is the School,College or distance learning provider that decides the boards and syllabus. It can be six-and-to-threes. Bear in mind things are always easier if you are not having to do them. The only way you can decide what suit your academic preference is to look through the syllabuses, past papers and answer some questions what seems easy deceptively difficult because more is expected from an answer. International A-levels are more straight forward but equalise with standard A-levels because there fewer excellent resources on the internet and and revision and study products. AQA is classed as easy but it does not mean that it is, just that more students are familiar with their style of questions or that better resources are be had that lend themselves to the students being able to answer the question.

Quick Reply

Latest