The Student Room Group

Alevel economics

Hello,

So I’m planning on choosing alevel economics and want to ask any one who did it some questions..

1) how was it?
2)would you recommend it?

Thanks
I’m watching this thread cos I’m wondering the same thing! Hope I’m not hijacking your thread but also how do people rate it over business studies too? Thanks
Hi,

I took Economics for A-levels (I did my exams last year), I found it alright. For me it was really interesting but there are also lots of diagrams to remember. In addition to that exams were mainly where you had to do essay type writing. I did the AQA specification and there were 3 papers (micro, macro and a mix of both). But I would say if you put effort into it, you can do well. I didn't take business for A-level so I can't say how it's different but I think business covers a slightly wider spec, I believe that there's accounting involved (but you might have to double check that). You don't have to be good at maths (or be taking it at A-level) to do A-level economics. There are a few calculations but I wouldn't say that they're really difficult, you might cover things like price elasticity for example - that involves calculations. But the calculations mainly come up on the multiple choice (AQA spec) but you can use them in your other answers as well (as evidence etc.) like in the 25 markers.

I would definitely recommend it if you're willing to put in the time to learn the content like the diagrams and theories but it's also an interesting subject.

I hope I answered your question.
Original post by Startrevisingnow
Hi,

I took Economics for A-levels (I did my exams last year), I found it alright. For me it was really interesting but there are also lots of diagrams to remember. In addition to that exams were mainly where you had to do essay type writing. I did the AQA specification and there were 3 papers (micro, macro and a mix of both). But I would say if you put effort into it, you can do well. I didn't take business for A-level so I can't say how it's different but I think business covers a slightly wider spec, I believe that there's accounting involved (but you might have to double check that). You don't have to be good at maths (or be taking it at A-level) to do A-level economics. There are a few calculations but I wouldn't say that they're really difficult, you might cover things like price elasticity for example - that involves calculations. But the calculations mainly come up on the multiple choice (AQA spec) but you can use them in your other answers as well (as evidence etc.) like in the 25 markers.

I would definitely recommend it if you're willing to put in the time to learn the content like the diagrams and theories but it's also an interesting subject.

I hope I answered your question.

Thanks for answering my question, and for your overview of the subject, it sounds interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest