The Student Room Group

should I study film and television production at uni

I have been wondering whether I should do film and television production at university but I don't know whether it's right for me. I have a large interest in film especially with cinematography and how a script can be visually translated onto screen as well as camera work in documentaries. I find film theory and pretty much every aspect of film production interesting as well so I would be definitely happy to try everything out.

However, one thing that's holding me back is the fact that I am not a good creative writer/script writer and I find it really hard to write and create my own stories. I love English literature and do it for A level and I feel i'm able to think of how text can be visually represented and everything like that but I really struggle to creatively write and think of stories. So, i'm wondering whether doing film and tv production at university would suit me? I can't think of anything else I would like to do and I do find the subject interesting..but i'm nervous that writing would be a big hindrance for me.

I've been looking at the courses at Falmouth, Bath Spa, York, Bristol and Brighton so far but I'm definitely open to looking at the options. If I did do film I would definitely want a course that combines theory/academic work and practical.
Original post by Geo236
I have been wondering whether I should do film and television production at university but I don't know whether it's right for me. I have a large interest in film especially with cinematography and how a script can be visually translated onto screen as well as camera work in documentaries. I find film theory and pretty much every aspect of film production interesting as well so I would be definitely happy to try everything out.

However, one thing that's holding me back is the fact that I am not a good creative writer/script writer and I find it really hard to write and create my own stories. I love English literature and do it for A level and I feel i'm able to think of how text can be visually represented and everything like that but I really struggle to creatively write and think of stories. So, i'm wondering whether doing film and tv production at university would suit me? I can't think of anything else I would like to do and I do find the subject interesting..but i'm nervous that writing would be a big hindrance for me.

I've been looking at the courses at Falmouth, Bath Spa, York, Bristol and Brighton so far but I'm definitely open to looking at the options. If I did do film I would definitely want a course that combines theory/academic work and practical.

Have you looked through the modules for each of the courses you're interested in? How many of those modules focus on the "creative writer/script writer" aspects of film / television?

If we look at Film BA (Hons) at Falmouth, for example, in Year Two you get to chart you own course. As they say here, "Building on a range of approaches to cinema through viewing, discussion and analysis, you'll direct your own learning. Choose from pathways including documentary, narrative or experimental short filmmaking, production, post-production editing, grade and sound design, marketing and publicity, and short and feature-length screenwriting." So you can avoid too much in the way of screenwriting if you want.

I suggest you look through all the module descriptions, for all the unis you've mentioned, in detail and focus on those which don't require too much in the way of screenwriting skills.

Given how much interest you clearly have for film production, it would be shame if your concerns over a perception as to what is required were to derail you joining what could be a thoroughly enjoyable industry. Think of all the credits that roll past the screen at the end of a move. How many of them do you reckon would consider themselves to be "a good creative writer/script writer".
Original post by Geo236

Hi @Geo236

I know it can be quite daunting considering different universities and courses, so I've collated some information which may be helpful :h:

Here at the university of Brighton we offer the Film and Screen studies BA, where we offer a variety of optional modules so you can create the course to best suit you, and what you want to learn. We offer optional modules such as:

-Creative Use of the Camera
-Creating Reality: Documentary Filmmaking
-Practical Cinematography.

The course is based in the Edward Street building at the heart of the town, very close to local cinemas, libraries, theatres and museums. The building includes new teaching rooms with state-of-the-art equipment such as 4K interactive screens, iMac workstations as well as a Dolby Atmos 4K screening room.

You will have access to a significant national film and screen collection through one of our partners, Screen Archive South East, also based on site at Edward Street. You will also benefit from our close relationships with the Cinecity film festival.

You can take a look at this video, where our Film and Screen Studies students talk about their experiences on the course and the support offered at the university:

I hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions please let us know!

Bex Brighton Uni rep :nyan:
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Have you looked through the modules for each of the courses you're interested in? How many of those modules focus on the "creative writer/script writer" aspects of film / television?

If we look at Film BA (Hons) at Falmouth, for example, in Year Two you get to chart you own course. As they say here, "Building on a range of approaches to cinema through viewing, discussion and analysis, you'll direct your own learning. Choose from pathways including documentary, narrative or experimental short filmmaking, production, post-production editing, grade and sound design, marketing and publicity, and short and feature-length screenwriting." So you can avoid too much in the way of screenwriting if you want.

I suggest you look through all the module descriptions, for all the unis you've mentioned, in detail and focus on those which don't require too much in the way of screenwriting skills.

Given how much interest you clearly have for film production, it would be shame if your concerns over a perception as to what is required were to derail you joining what could be a thoroughly enjoyable industry. Think of all the credits that roll past the screen at the end of a move. How many of them do you reckon would consider themselves to be "a good creative writer/script writer".

Ah thank you so much for the response and advice! :smile: I’ll definitely look closely at what each course offers!
Original post by Geo236

Hi Geo236,

My name is Tiff, and I am a Second Year Film, Television and Radio Student at Staffordshire University. First of all, it's great to here that you have such an interest in film.

I hear what you are saying about you worrying that the script writing elements may be a barrier in choosing a film and television production course. I would like to offer you some reassurance, as someone who is studying these subjects, that script writing will only take up a small chunk of your course/projects production. Remember that university is a chance to further develop skills, and so you do not need to be the best script-writer in order to do well, especially as these courses rely a lot on groupwork, and so you can distribute roles to highlight peoples chosen strengths, so someone else can always undertake this role. In cases were there will be individual scriptwriting work, remember that you will be taught by industry professionals, and so you're skills will improve, again, it is a learning curve.

When I began my course, I too had very little script-writing abilities, but now, I am confident in this area, and am even thinking of it as a possible career in the future. University is a time to test these things out, after all, it is about trial and error. So please do not let your scriptwriting worries effect your decision making too much, rather, focus on your strengths (cinematography), as the industry is full of many career aspects. Do not let one small element, influence the rest.

Also, when choosing my university, I also wanted a mixture of theoretical and practical teaching. This is why I chose Staffs. At Staffordshire University, its film and media courses include a balance of critical thinking, and theoretical knowledge, alongside hands-on creativity and technical instruction for creating your own film/media projects.

Here are some links to the media and film courses that Staffordshire University offers:
Film Production
Creative Media Production

I hope this information helped. Good luck in your university decision making, and university journey as a whole. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Tiff :smile: - Student Communications Ambassador for Staffordshire University
Second Year BA (Hons) Film, Television, and Radio

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending