The Student Room Group

Is intermittent fasting good

So I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking of practising intermittent fasting so my routine would be wake up 6 30 am then eat 3 pieces of fruit and a protein shake (if I work out on that day) at around 12pm then fast and eat a large meal within 1000 calories at 6pm how does that sound? Also is decaf coffee good for a fast and does it affect your performance like coffee because I got a level exams and noticed coffee has ruined my productivity
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking of practising intermittent fasting so my routine would be wake up 6 30 am then eat 3 pieces of fruit and a protein shake (if I work out on that day) at around 12pm then fast and eat a large meal within 1000 calories at 6pm how does that sound? Also is decaf coffee good for a fast and does it affect your performance like coffee because I got a level exams and noticed coffee has ruined my productivity

Hey. I really think you should do this fasting experiment after your exams. You don't know how it'll affect your sleep or focus, and you need to be at your best for your exams.

Also, I'm not sure what schedule others follow but if you're active during the day, you should eat most of your calories during the day. Start off with bigger quantities in the earlier half of the day and eat less during the later parts when you won't be moving around much. You don't need much energy to lay around or sleep. Intermittent fasting isn't eating early, fasting then, eating again. It's having a certain portion of the day during which you eat and not eating after that point. For me, I could eat anything for the first 8 hours after waking up and nothing for the remaining 16. I wouldn't recommend starting with such a time-frame, though. Maybe start with 10 - 14. And if your body isn't doing well, stop it. There are other ways to lose weight.

Goodluck.
Reply 2
Do you want to lose weight or need to lose weight?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Do you want to lose weight or need to lose weight?

I need to after I stopped football when i got into A levels and been revising I barely move and now am gaining so much weight I'm lifting weights to get more toned but noticed I still look and feel fat and my heart and body feels unhealthy if you know what I mean. What doesn't help is I am Asian so eat a lot of oily currys and fried food
Reply 4
I need to after I stopped football when i got into A levels and been revising I barely move and now am gaining so much weight I'm lifting weights to get more toned but noticed I still look and feel fat and my heart and body feels unhealthy if you know what I mean. What doesn't help is I am Asian so eat a lot of oily currys and fried food

OK, but you don't need to do intermittent fasting. Just be in a calorie deficit, but eating a balanced diet. A large meal of x calories at a certain time isn't good if it isn't healthy. Look at your portion sizes, better ways to cook, include more veg. If you've got time to lift weights you've got time to do cardio; what about a long walk, a cycle ride?
Reply 5
I agree with Surnia. Intermittent fasting won't make you feel healthy. I assumed you needed to lose weight quickly for some medical reason. But that isn’t the case.

Here, your diet is what needs to change. I've been eating just carbs and fatty foods since my college tests started and although my weight has remained the same, I also feel very unhealthy and heavy. Intermittent fasting won't fix it. You need a balanced diet with enough veggies and protein. A proper diet is 80% of the work. Also, you can alternate your meals with low carb, high carb days. That gives your metabolic rate a little boost when you're feeling heavy.
I did alternate day dieting for a few months back in 2010. It worked quite well to be honest, but the down days were hard to put up with.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
OK, but you don't need to do intermittent fasting. Just be in a calorie deficit, but eating a balanced diet. A large meal of x calories at a certain time isn't good if it isn't healthy. Look at your portion sizes, better ways to cook, include more veg. If you've got time to lift weights you've got time to do cardio; what about a long walk, a cycle ride?

I lift weights for about one hour 3x a week at home I barely get time to enjoy myself after revision cuz I struggle with procrastination. Also with regards to the intermittent fasting it's because I am constantly having craving or am hungry when I eat 3 meals a day that why I though I should just eat one big meal
Reply 8
I lift weights for about one hour 3x a week at home I barely get time to enjoy myself after revision cuz I struggle with procrastination. Also with regards to the intermittent fasting it's because I am constantly having craving or am hungry when I eat 3 meals a day that why I though I should just eat one big meal

Then look at the content of your meals; you shouldn't be hungry with three! What is a typical day?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
Then look at the content of your meals; you shouldn't be hungry with three! What is a typical day?

Erm dinner one potato chicken and some roast veg lunch a tuna sandwich and fruit and breakfast oats/ egg sandwich with fruit that's it really on a typical day
Reply 10
Erm dinner one potato chicken and some roast veg lunch a tuna sandwich and fruit and breakfast oats/ egg sandwich with fruit that's it really on a typical day

Well, there you go. If some days 2 of your meals are a sandwich you'll get hungry! Protein is filling and include more veg; poached eggs with mackerel and spinach, ham & veg omelette for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch.

Quick Reply

Latest