The Student Room Group

Ordinary v inkey

Who has the better niacinamide and vitamin c serum from these brands?
Original post by Anonymous

Can't speak for inkey but I used The Ordinary niacinamide (asw as other products by them) and it did wonders for my skin and helped sm w my acne!

J one thing tho - don't use niacinamide and vitamin c products together! I can't remember why exactly but if you look it up you'll find an explanation as to how it is harmful for your skin.
Reply 2
Original post by spill_the_tea
Can't speak for inkey but I used The Ordinary niacinamide (asw as other products by them) and it did wonders for my skin and helped sm w my acne!

J one thing tho - don't use niacinamide and vitamin c products together! I can't remember why exactly but if you look it up you'll find an explanation as to how it is harmful for your skin.

do you find it drys your skin and causes irritation
do you find it drys your skin and causes irritation

tbh since my skin's pretty much healed, i dont use any skincare anymore - j a Cerave cleanser - but when i was using it, i really liked the ordinary niacinamide, it helped w my (rlllyyy bad) acne.

it didnt irritate my skin (and i have sensitive skin asw!) and idt it dried it either but i wld say if ur going to use it, dont use it daily bc apparently using acids too often can acc destroy ur skin barrier n make ur skin issues worse - so patch test first always and only use 3/4x a week and make sure to use spf asw EVERYDAY (i cannot stress this enough, u shld be using spf daily anyways but w niacinamide and other products u cannot skip it!! always read the label/warning before buying) bc it makes ur skin more sensitive to sunlight.

also at first when i started using niacinamide it did make my skin feel a slight tingly/almost burning sensation but it wasnt too bad so if u feel that asw then dw abt it, it shld calm down in abt a week and then u can build it up from 2x a week to 3x to 4x (but dont exceed 4x a week pls)

obvs everyone is different tho so if it causes u irritation pls stop using it and give ur skin a break
Reply 4
tbh since my skin's pretty much healed, i dont use any skincare anymore - j a Cerave cleanser - but when i was using it, i really liked the ordinary niacinamide, it helped w my (rlllyyy bad) acne.

it didnt irritate my skin (and i have sensitive skin asw!) and idt it dried it either but i wld say if ur going to use it, dont use it daily bc apparently using acids too often can acc destroy ur skin barrier n make ur skin issues worse - so patch test first always and only use 3/4x a week and make sure to use spf asw EVERYDAY (i cannot stress this enough, u shld be using spf daily anyways but w niacinamide and other products u cannot skip it!! always read the label/warning before buying) bc it makes ur skin more sensitive to sunlight.

also at first when i started using niacinamide it did make my skin feel a slight tingly/almost burning sensation but it wasnt too bad so if u feel that asw then dw abt it, it shld calm down in abt a week and then u can build it up from 2x a week to 3x to 4x (but dont exceed 4x a week pls)

obvs everyone is different tho so if it causes u irritation pls stop using it and give ur skin a break

should u use vitamin c 4x only aswel?
should u use vitamin c 4x only aswel?

idk much abt using vitamin c but i have heard u shldnt use it w niacinamide but j to doublecheck i looked it u p for u - turns out that was based on old research so u can but u have to do it properly (read links urself for more detail) but honestly ive heard that combined they can cause irritation so i wldnt risk it

https://procoal.co.uk/blogs/beauty/how-to-use-niacinamide-and-vitamin-c

https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skincare/niacinamide-and-vitamin-c#trying-them-out

https://naturium.com/blogs/ingredient-library-blog/using-niacinamide-and-vitamin-c-together
Reply 6

what skin type do u have btw and what moisturiser do u use if u dont mind me asking please
what skin type do u have btw and what moisturiser do u use if u dont mind me asking please

sensitive combination skin (so oily and dry), and atm i use a cerave foaming cleanser for normal to oily skin + loreal triple active moisturising night cream

hope that helps 😊
Reply 8
sensitive combination skin (so oily and dry), and atm i use a cerave foaming cleanser for normal to oily skin + loreal triple active moisturising night cream

hope that helps 😊

Are u a teen I'm 19 so would this be suitable for me the cream I have combination skin more towards the oily side and it's acne prone
Are u a teen I'm 19 so would this be suitable for me the cream I have combination skin more towards the oily side and it's acne prone

yeah im 18f, sounds like we have baso the same skin type so go for it

hope that helps 😊

if its night cream does that mean only use at night and for morning do u use just spf if so can u recommend one please?
Original post by Rohan007best
if its night cream does that mean only use at night and for morning do u use just spf if so can u recommend one please?

i mean its night cream so yh i pretty much only use it at night, but loreal also has a triple active day moisturiser asw - dont ask me what the diff is betw the day n night moisturiser tho apart from the name, idk 😭😭

and yeah in the day deffo use spf, esp if ur using niacinamide - personally i like the simple protect n glow radiance booster spf30, its v lightweight and makes u look glowy, j dont use too much or u might look oily lol

ill link everything i use here:

https://www.boots.com/simple-protect-n-glow-radiance-booster-spf-30-for-glowing-skin-invisible-sun-protection-50ml-10271982

https://www.boots.com/cerave-foaming-cleanser-236ml-10246702

https://www.boots.com/loreal-paris-triple-active-night-cream-50ml-10172307

some products might seem a bit pricey but they are kinda worth it tbh but if it's an issue for u then what i do is wait for some sort of big sale n j buy enough to last 2/3 months, then buy more as needed

dyu j plan to use niacinamide/vitamin c or dyu have an idea of what else u might use? bc i can tell u my entire skincare routine from before which helped my skin sm, if u want
X

There are differences between day cream and night cream. Day cream is lighter, non-greasy and contains SPF. Night cream is heavier, greasier, and contains ingredients that makes it unsuitable for day-time wear due to sun exposure.
Original post by 5hyl33n
There are differences between day cream and night cream. Day cream is lighter, non-greasy and contains SPF. Night cream is heavier, greasier, and contains ingredients that makes it unsuitable for day-time wear due to sun exposure.

ahh that makes sense, thanks

tho idt ALL day creams/moisturisers contain spf tho? always best to check the label before buying 😊
i mean its night cream so yh i pretty much only use it at night, but loreal also has a triple active day moisturiser asw - dont ask me what the diff is betw the day n night moisturiser tho apart from the name, idk 😭😭

and yeah in the day deffo use spf, esp if ur using niacinamide - personally i like the simple protect n glow radiance booster spf30, its v lightweight and makes u look glowy, j dont use too much or u might look oily lol

ill link everything i use here:

https://www.boots.com/simple-protect-n-glow-radiance-booster-spf-30-for-glowing-skin-invisible-sun-protection-50ml-10271982

https://www.boots.com/cerave-foaming-cleanser-236ml-10246702

https://www.boots.com/loreal-paris-triple-active-night-cream-50ml-10172307

some products might seem a bit pricey but they are kinda worth it tbh but if it's an issue for u then what i do is wait for some sort of big sale n j buy enough to last 2/3 months, then buy more as needed

dyu j plan to use niacinamide/vitamin c or dyu have an idea of what else u might use? bc i can tell u my entire skincare routine from before which helped my skin sm, if u want

yes please let me know. At the moment im thinking cleanser, benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin (my acne medicine), vitamin c serum then spf for morning. then at night cleanser, acne medicine, niacinamide (3 x a week only) and moisturiser is that good
yes please let me know. At the moment im thinking cleanser, benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin (my acne medicine), vitamin c serum then spf for morning. then at night cleanser, acne medicine, niacinamide (3 x a week only) and moisturiser is that good

okay that sounds good tbh, i havent heard of that acne medicine but if ur dermatologist/a professional prescribed it to u then its all good. j remember that sometimes less is more so dont overdo it w the no of products ur using (atm it seems fine j dont add anymore to ur skincare routine!) and make sure ur products wont have a negative reaction w eachother

my skin had a v sensitive reaction a couple yrs back when i was 16 so i initially used a cleanser (dont remember which sorryy) asw as a freederm niacinamide face gel and nivea spf - this helped calm the acne down but no more than that so then i switched to the ordinary niacinamide + simple spf 30 which helped quite a bit. then my acne was mostly gone but i still had acne scarring n hyperpigmentation so i continued w my day routine but i added the ordinary alpha arbutin + hyaluronic acid in to my night routine + loreal night moisturiser. after a while it seemed to stop helping tho so a few months ago i stopped using anything except what i said in above posts (cleanser, spf, moisturiser) + now my skins pretty much at its clearest.

i still break out from time to time n have some hyperpigmentation left but nothing too bad and i had rllyyyy bad acne before (so bad i refused to have my picture taken for months n lit cried whenever i looked in the mirror)

but anyways hope that helps, and remember it takes time to heal so dont be disheartened if u dont see instant results. also make sure to drink lots of water, eat healthy, sleep well, practice good hygiene + work out bc all that matters too!

in my experience, i used niacinamide by the ordinary and i got all bumpy alot my cheeks so i had to stop and found smt else. everyone's skin is gonna be different. I have dry and acne prone skin x
Be careful with vitimin c as if you use it the other powerful stuff, it can be irritating and creates sensitive skin
Reply 17
The fact you didn't specify why makes it all the more questionable and unfortunate for those who will believe this claim blindly, absolute disservice - and even if out of forgetfulness - a simple google search contradicts that statement.

So I looked this up - countless results have indicated this isn't true - perfectly fine to wear both (layered or in combination) niacinamide and vitamin c on your skin, not harmful at all.

https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skincare/niacinamide-and-vitamin-c

Quick Reply

Latest