The Student Room Group

durham business school

from what i know (i’m an international student), durham is a very prestigious university but it only requires aab for the business and management course (on the website).
i have an offer but it only requires me to achieve abb. i know this does not determine the prestigious of the school but i’m very concerned about this - is the course not competitive, or is durham business school not good enough?
Original post by anan0405
from what i know (i’m an international student), durham is a very prestigious university but it only requires aab for the business and management course (on the website).
i have an offer but it only requires me to achieve abb. i know this does not determine the prestigious of the school but i’m very concerned about this - is the course not competitive, or is durham business school not good enough?

The concept of "prestige" (which appears to be your only criterion) is difficult to measure, as it is so subjective.

QS World Rankings gather some measures which I feel are a reasonable proxy for "prestige", in that they include "Academic Reputation" and "Employer Reputation" when compiling their league tables. These reputation-based measures are established by sending-out surveys to over 200,000 academics and employers worldwide. You can see their full methodology here.

Using their Academic Reputation measure alone, Durham University ranks 20th in the UK for Business & Management Studies. Using their Employer Reputation measure alone, it ranks 12th in the UK for Business & Management Studies. (Source)

If we look at the university as a whole (rather than just that one subject) then Durham University ranks 16th in the UK by Academic Reputation and 9th in the UK by Employer Reputation. (Source).

Is that sufficiently prestigious for you?

By the way, if you check The Uni Guide to see what grades Durham students typically achieve for Business and Management (rather than what grades they're asked to achieve) you'll see that the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Mathematics A, Economics A and Business Studies A". You will find this information here. It is sourced from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency.
Is DBS still based in Stockton instead of Durham itself?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Is DBS still based in Stockton instead of Durham itself?

Not anymore, I suppose in the past the requirements were low because of that but now it’s in Durham City
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The concept of "prestige" (which appears to be your only criterion) is difficult to measure, as it is so subjective.

QS World Rankings gather some measures which I feel are a reasonable proxy for "prestige", in that they include "Academic Reputation" and "Employer Reputation" when compiling their league tables. These reputation-based measures are established by sending-out surveys to over 200,000 academics and employers worldwide. You can see their full methodology here.

Using their Academic Reputation measure alone, Durham University ranks 20th in the UK for Business & Management Studies. Using their Employer Reputation measure alone, it ranks 12th in the UK for Business & Management Studies. (Source)

If we look at the university as a whole (rather than just that one subject) then Durham University ranks 16th in the UK by Academic Reputation and 9th in the UK by Employer Reputation. (Source).

Is that sufficiently prestigious for you?

By the way, if you check The Uni Guide to see what grades Durham students typically achieve for Business and Management (rather than what grades they're asked to achieve) you'll see that the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Mathematics A, Economics A and Business Studies A". You will find this information here. It is sourced from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency.

I’m sure it’s prestigious, but its student satisfaction rate is kind of low… and I’m just confused about why the requirements are so low, I even got a lower offer compared to the typical one on the website, even though I don’t have other achievements to compensate for that (that usually means it’s desperately looking for more students?).

I also applied to Warwick, Bath and Exeter which are known for their business schools and typically would rank higher than Durham for business/management, with higher student satisfaction rates and even higher average salaries after graduation.
Original post by anan0405
I’m sure it’s prestigious, but its student satisfaction rate is kind of low… and I’m just confused about why the requirements are so low, I even got a lower offer compared to the typical one on the website, even though I don’t have other achievements to compensate for that (that usually means it’s desperately looking for more students?).

I also applied to Warwick, Bath and Exeter which are known for their business schools and typically would rank higher than Durham for business/management, with higher student satisfaction rates and even higher average salaries after graduation.

In your original post, you seemed to be concerned that you're impression of Durham University as "prestigious" was potentially misguided, at least with regards to its business school. Now your concern seems to be its student satisfaction rating.

Do you have offers from Warwick, Bath or Exeter? If you do, then from what you say ("are known for their business schools and rank higher than Durham for business/management, with higher student satisfaction rates and even higher average salaries after graduation"), then you could accept one of those offers over that from Durham. If you did not receive offers from Warwick, Bath or Exeter - and only have Durham to choose from - then your choice is easy.

If you're still waiting to hear back from Warwick, Bath and Exeter, then it makes sense to wait until you do before trying to decide which (theoretical) offer you would be better accepting.

I can't explain why your offer would be below the standard offer, other than to point out that as an international student you are more valuable (in terms of fees) to the university than a home student would be. I've no idea whether that has any impact of not, but it's the only reason I can think of for the lower-than-expected offer.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
In your original post, you seemed to be concerned that you're impression of Durham University as "prestigious" was potentially misguided, at least with regards to its business school. Now your concern seems to be its student satisfaction rating.

Do you have offers from Warwick, Bath or Exeter? If you do, then from what you say ("are known for their business schools and rank higher than Durham for business/management, with higher student satisfaction rates and even higher average salaries after graduation"), then you could accept one of those offers over that from Durham. If you did not receive offers from Warwick, Bath or Exeter - and only have Durham to choose from - then your choice is easy.

If you're still waiting to hear back from Warwick, Bath and Exeter, then it makes sense to wait until you do before trying to decide which (theoretical) offer you would be better accepting.

I can't explain why your offer would be below the standard offer, other than to point out that as an international student you are more valuable (in terms of fees) to the university than a home student would be. I've no idea whether that has any impact of not, but it's the only reason I can think of for the lower-than-expected offer.

I do have offers, I mean Durham in general is ranked higher than those universities (in the top 5-10) but its business school in particular is ranked ~15-20 which is lower than those other universities. 15-20 is still “prestigious”, but with a lower student satisfaction rate and lower offers, is it that good? People around me are saying that I should firm Durham because it’s highly ranked, and I would have more opportunities but I don’t know if the other business schools are actually better. Maybe I should insure Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest