The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which Inn?
Original post by DOTEOT
Which Inn?

Grays on Monday
Reply 3
I had mine with Lincoln’s. Think Gray’s has a topical question you have to answer? Just go through your application form and make sure you’re ready to answer all obvious questions which might arise from it and also the classic “why barrister?” “Why X area”. I don’t know about the problem question as Lincoln’s didn’t have that. Good luck!
hi @DOTEOT, go you have any sample questions they asked you? im fretting ... thanks!
Reply 5
It was quite a blur! I specifically remember:
- “tell us about a recent appeal case which you think is significant”;
- “tell us about a mistake you’ve made”;
- “why have you said you’re interested in [X] area of law and why do you find this interesting”;
- as I said above, be ready to answer in depth questions about your form. I remember getting “what did you think of the law conversion course?” and “what was your favourite A-Level subject (!)”.

Quite a mixed bunch!
Original post by DOTEOT
- “why have you said you’re interested in [X] area of law and why do you find this interesting”;
- as I said above, be ready to answer in depth questions about your form. I remember getting “what did you think of the law conversion course?” and “what was your favourite A-Level subject (!)”.

Quite a mixed bunch!

Hey I have mines on Saturday for Lincoln’s too, if you don’t mind could you answer some questions sorry you don’t have to if you don’t want to

what law did you talk about reforming/changing?
and how many questions did they challenge you with the law you chose?
was it daunting speaking to 3 people on a panel?
how do you think you done?
how long was it?

thank you I’m bricking it for Saturday I’m quite happy it’s on a weekend though haha
thank you so much! I will get practising...
Original post by DOTEOT

Quite a mixed bunch!
Reply 8
Original post by pilotlawgrad123
Hey I have mines on Saturday for Lincoln’s too, if you don’t mind could you answer some questions sorry you don’t have to if you don’t want to

what law did you talk about reforming/changing?
and how many questions did they challenge you with the law you chose?
was it daunting speaking to 3 people on a panel?
how do you think you done?
how long was it?

thank you I’m bricking it for Saturday I’m quite happy it’s on a weekend though haha

Hey, no problem. I did mine in 2021 so was virtual.
1 and 2. I think it was slightly different when I did it but probably similar structure; mine wasn’t strictly law reform it was just “give a presentation on a legal topic” (although did turn into a discussion on law reform of that topic). I did mine on deprivation of citizenship and I think I didn’t speak for long enough because I got quite a lot of questions from the panel (probably about 5-10 follow up qs).

3. It was daunting because of what the interview was for but the members of the panel were nice in the circumstances. Panel made up of one bencher and two more junior barristers.

4. I thought it’d gone okay but worried more and more as time went on until the outcome. I ended up getting one but this was the second attempt (I was unsuccessful the year earlier with Inner Temple).
5. Around 30 mins.
Original post by DOTEOT
Hey, no problem. I did mine in 2021 so was virtual.
1 and 2. I think it was slightly different when I did it but probably similar structure; mine wasn’t strictly law reform it was just “give a presentation on a legal topic” (although did turn into a discussion on law reform of that topic). I did mine on deprivation of citizenship and I think I didn’t speak for long enough because I got quite a lot of questions from the panel (probably about 5-10 follow up qs).

3. It was daunting because of what the interview was for but the members of the panel were nice in the circumstances. Panel made up of one bencher and two more junior barristers.

4. I thought it’d gone okay but worried more and more as time went on until the outcome. I ended up getting one but this was the second attempt (I was unsuccessful the year earlier with Inner Temple).
5. Around 30 mins.

Thank you this was very helpful!

I have 3 panel members and 1 observer in person so definitely dreading speaking in person! The law I’ve chosen is removing the charitable status of private schools (however I know many barristers were private school educated) I think It may be a controversial topic and maybe one that’s not very relevant but it’s something I know about haha.

The award if the scholarship is that based on how well you do or means based as I haven’t applied to any bar courses until I hear back from Lincoln which I doubt I’ll get lol
Reply 10
Thank you this was very helpful!

I have 3 panel members and 1 observer in person so definitely dreading speaking in person! The law I’ve chosen is removing the charitable status of private schools (however I know many barristers were private school educated) I think It may be a controversial topic and maybe one that’s not very relevant but it’s something I know about haha.

The award if the scholarship is that based on how well you do or means based as I haven’t applied to any bar courses until I hear back from Lincoln which I doubt I’ll get lol

That’s a great topic!

I think the scholarships at Lincoln’s are awarded on the basis of merit but the amount given for each award is means tested (save for the very top award given which remains at £25k regardless).
Original post by DOTEOT
That’s a great topic!

I think the scholarships at Lincoln’s are awarded on the basis of merit but the amount given for each award is means tested (save for the very top award given which remains at £25k regardless).

Okay great thank you one last question

Did they ask you why you applied to Lincoln over the other inns or and other barrister/Behaviour type questions. I’ve prepared an answer to explain a mistake you've made. I really don’t want to be caught off guard 😂
Reply 12
Okay great thank you one last question

Did they ask you why you applied to Lincoln over the other inns or and other barrister/Behaviour type questions. I’ve prepared an answer to explain a mistake you've made. I really don’t want to be caught off guard 😂

definitely prep for “why barrister”, “why X area”; I didn’t get them but you might. Be ready to answer competency based. They probably won’t ask “why this inn” but no harm in having an answer ready
Original post by DOTEOT
definitely prep for “why barrister”, “why X area”; I didn’t get them but you might. Be ready to answer competency based. They probably won’t ask “why this inn” but no harm in having an answer ready

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful!! Have a lovely evening :smile:
@DOTEOT

Had my interview can say it was awful😂😂 my mind went blank the moment I started talking I forgot everything and I didn’t list the 3 main characteristics honestly, leadership and teamwork when asked. Very happy I made it to the interview stage and I’ll definitely do better next year when I apply. My panel was amazing I just couldn’t make my answers stick.
Reply 15
@DOTEOT

Had my interview can say it was awful😂😂 my mind went blank the moment I started talking I forgot everything and I didn’t list the 3 main characteristics honestly, leadership and teamwork when asked. Very happy I made it to the interview stage and I’ll definitely do better next year when I apply. My panel was amazing I just couldn’t make my answers stick.

Sorry to hear that. You never know; sometimes these things have gone better than first expected. As you’ve said though, even if it is a no, can work on it for next year! It took me two attempts and I know that’s the case for many others too.
Has anyone heard anything back regarding the scholarships or know when we are likely to hear back?
Original post by mollyfinch1
Has anyone heard anything back regarding the scholarships or know when we are likely to hear back?

As of yet nothing however I Would’ve through t they’d say after Easter? I could be wrong…. What inn did you apply to
Lincoln’s… I was thinking we would hear before Easter but oh well! What inn did you have an interview for?
Original post by Jazzyjellycrack
As of yet nothing however I Would’ve through t they’d say after Easter? I could be wrong…. What inn did you apply to
Original post by mollyfinch1
Lincoln’s… I was thinking we would hear before Easter but oh well! What inn did you have an interview for?

Ohh I could be wrong!
I done Lincoln’s too, hopefully the long wait is good news!

Latest

Trending

Trending