The Student Room Group

Should I apply to oxford

At GCSE I got 56666678899 and at A level I’m predicted A* further maths, A* economics and A Physics, I’m doing mathematics a year early and I’m 100% sure I will get an A*
I’m debating whether or not to apply, Ik my GCSEs are not as high as they should be but I’m hoping the A levels will make up for it. Iv been thinking I’ll apply if I’m sure I can get above 70 on the MAT but even then idk if I’ll have a chance.
Original post by Aqua12345
At GCSE I got 56666678899 and at A level I’m predicted A* further maths, A* economics and A Physics, I’m doing mathematics a year early and I’m 100% sure I will get an A*
I’m debating whether or not to apply, Ik my GCSEs are not as high as they should be but I’m hoping the A levels will make up for it. Iv been thinking I’ll apply if I’m sure I can get above 70 on the MAT but even then idk if I’ll have a chance.

Think of it this way.

If you don’t apply, you have a 0% chance of getting in. However, if you do apply, you at least stand some chance.

You have 5 choices for unis with UCAS, so if 1 or 2 are ‘risky’, then you should be more than fine if the other 3 are achievable and offer whatever you are looking for in a university.

Have you considered taking the AEA in Mathematics? That could help.
Reply 2

GCSEs are only of marginal interest when applying for Oxford maths.
It's worth a try. If you don't get in, who cares? You'll most likely have other offers anyway

Try it anyway. You may have a chance.
You have a really good chance. GCSE's barely matter at all. Interviews are determined by your MAT score. Once you get an interview, that's almost all that matters. If you do well your MAT, you WILL get through to interviews, and if you do well in your interviews you WILL get into Oxford. It's as simple as that. Therefore GCSE's really do not matter.

P.s. I got accepted this year with similar GCSE's to you. They do not care.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply