The Student Room Group

LATYMER SIXTH FORM ENTRANCE help

Hi OK so I wanna do a levels and one of the places I was considering was Latymer subjects wouks be biology english lang art or maybe sthm else anyways
I want to prepare for the test which is like this November when I'll be in yr 11
Only thing is my punctuality is not the best not the worst but its mediocre I've been tryna fix it to where I'm only late 1 or 2 times a week but late is only like 2 minutes late like I'm always in my classes for form class it's just that my teachers are stingy and shut the doors on students
This half term (last week of Feb till Easter holidays)my goal is to not get a single late catch up(detention)but Latymer is a like a top notch school
Another thing attendance is normal like 90%rn it's 98 I think the lowest I ever had it was 87 %in yr 8 idk
anyways I'm waffling cuz I'm nervous
But what is the test because u have to do tests if u want to do science or maths since its a popular subject with small spaces
And should I start revising now?when are mocks normally that give you ur predicted grades it's in year 11 right? I dhoukd start revising now for November science and maths extra. Ahhh help.
Original post by dianaemerald03
Hi OK so I wanna do a levels and one of the places I was considering was Latymer subjects wouks be biology english lang art or maybe sthm else anyways
I want to prepare for the test which is like this November when I'll be in yr 11
Only thing is my punctuality is not the best not the worst but its mediocre I've been tryna fix it to where I'm only late 1 or 2 times a week but late is only like 2 minutes late like I'm always in my classes for form class it's just that my teachers are stingy and shut the doors on students
This half term (last week of Feb till Easter holidays)my goal is to not get a single late catch up(detention)but Latymer is a like a top notch school
Another thing attendance is normal like 90%rn it's 98 I think the lowest I ever had it was 87 %in yr 8 idk
anyways I'm waffling cuz I'm nervous
But what is the test because u have to do tests if u want to do science or maths since its a popular subject with small spaces
And should I start revising now?when are mocks normally that give you ur predicted grades it's in year 11 right? I dhoukd start revising now for November science and maths extra. Ahhh help.

The Latymer School say on this page that they're looking for students who, "Have a strong record of attendance and punctuality." That's slightly vague, but at least they only use the word "strong" and not "excellent" or "exemplary"! However, you have used the word "mediocre" above. All you can do is to try to improve you attendance record going forward, which it sounds like you're trying to do, and hope for the best.

The is a PDF entitled "The Latymer School Assessment Test Guidance Notes Entry to Year 12 in September 2023" is on their web site here. It describes the test as follows:

The test is divided into three parts:
o Non Verbal Reasoning (using shapes) - 20 minutes
o Verbal Reasoning & Number Reasoning - 26 minutes
o Spatial & Figure analysis (using patterns & numbers) - 26 minutes

This implies that they won't be assessing your maths or science skills specifically. (But there's a separate document, which I mention below, which contradict this). Although they say "There are no practice papers available for these tests", if you google terms like "Non Verbal Reasoning test" you find some examples on-line. It's worth looking at these just to get a general idea of the sorts of things that might be in the test. The paper might not be similar in style or layout, but you at least know what they mean by the phrase "Non Verbal Reasoning".

It is this document, entitled "The Latymer School Admission Procedures for Academic year Commending September 2023" which contradicts the one above in that it says, "For those wishing to study any of the following: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry or Physics there is a compulsory assessment test. Further information regarding this will be available on the open evening and also published on the school website." Have you attended an open evening yet?

Page 7 of this document (entitled "Sixth Form | External Admissions to Year 12") says that they don't use predicted grades to make offers. It says, "Provisional offers are made to applicants with the highest score in the test (except that subject choices may mean that some subjects become full and further places cannot be offered to applicants seeking to study those subjects)." They then say that, "For those applicants for Year 12 who are tested, the school admits those with the highest test scores and who meet the minimum GCSE requirements. The minimum GCSE requirements are: (1) at least a grade 7 (equivalent to a grade A) in the subjects they wish to study at AS-level; and (2) at least 6 grade 7s overall at GCSE. Students should also have a minimum of a grade 5 (equivalent to grade C strong pass) in English and Maths."
Omg thank you so much and no I haven't been to an opening yet but I'll definitely be going to the next one and I an trying to improve my attendance tomorrow I'll ask for my overall attendance rn and I'll tell you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending