The Student Room Group

Living On Campus vs Off Campus

Hi there. I am starting university in September 2023 and been looking at accommodation. However, I'm not sure whether to take one off-campus or on-campus. Which is best / what are the pros and cons of each?
( I am considering Surrey & Liverpool ).
Original post by tsruserrrr
Hi there. I am starting university in September 2023 and been looking at accommodation. However, I'm not sure whether to take one off-campus or on-campus. Which is best / what are the pros and cons of each?

Hi @tsruserrrr,

Great question. I'd say my first advice is to make sure you visit both unis. If you can get to an Open Day, that would be best, but if that's not possible you can probably book onto a campus tour, which will almost certainly cover some of the student accommodation.

On-campus accommodation can be a great way of meeting new people if you are going somewhere new. It's also likely going to place you closer to your lectures! I'd say I generally recommend this for first year students. Off-campus accommodation might be a better choice if you already know a lot of people at the uni / in the area, or if you prefer to be more independent. But again, it really is essential that you go and visit the campus so you can get a feel for the accommodation provided.

I hope this helps and best of luck in September.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Officer
Oxford Brookes University

Hi @tsruserrrr,

While I don't go to either of those universities I would always recommend living on-campus for your first year. Typically on-campus is primarily first year students and so you'll be living with other freshers who want to make friends :smile: You'll also most likely be closer to where you are having your lectures which is useful when you're still getting used to your surroundings.

Have a fun time at uni!
Eloise - Lancaster University Student Ambassador

Hi,

I would personally recomend on-campus accomodation for first year students. Being on campus in your first year provides you with a good level of convenience as you will likely be relatively close to where your teaching takes place which should also help with your time management which is something a lot of new students struggle with.

Its important to find out if the on-campus accommodation you are thinking about applying for is student halls. Halls are usually a great way for groups of new students to make new friends with one another and you would likely share a social space with others students.

Before making your decision I would definitely recommend if possible attending a campus/accommodation tour as you may straight away get a feeling wether the accommodation is suitable or not for you personally.

I really hope this helps. Kyle - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Hi there!

It's great to see that you're interested in studying at Surrey!

In terms of weighing up whether to live on or off campus, I would definitely recommend sticking to on-campus accommodation in first year, especially if you are coming straight from sixth form/college. It can be daunting starting university so throwing into the mix finding housing and sorting bills, I can imagine it could be a little stressful. Off-campus student housing (in any UK city) can be a really frustrating and stressful thing!

The pros of on-campus housing are opportunity to make friends, join in with events and societies, being close to lectures, bills included. It's a lot simpler and easier that sorting off-campus housing. In Guildford, it also proves to be slightly cheaper than off-campus housing. I would definitely recommend spending that first year getting to know Guildford and the rental market as this will help you to find better second/third year housing.

To find out more about accommodation at Surrey, check out this webpage: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to get in touch!

Best wishes,
Alice
Final year languages student

Hi there,

Living on campus can have its benefits, it has the benefits of being close to lectures and seminars as well as it being easy to meet other students. However, living off campus can help bring more of a separation between uni and home and may help you to settle in if that is what you are more used to.

I think either of them are good options and it is ultimately dependent on your preferences.

Best wishes,
Ellen
Uni of Sunderland digital ambassador

Hi there,
Like the other posters have said, this is entirely down to personal preference. Living on-campus generally means a shorter commute to lectures and seminars. Off-campus may mean it takes longer for you to get to uni but you may be closer to other amenities (shops, bars, transport links). If your accommodation has facilities that make up for being far from uni (e.g. a study area) then it may be something to consider. However, it's entirely up to you!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi there!

So I'm a student at the University of Liverpool. I personally think the off-campus hall is better, I live at one of them and the bus journey isn't so far at all (10 minutes), it was actually a nice opportunity to make some new friends early on in Uni! In Liverpool the off-campus hall (Greenbank) is in a lovely area, nearby 2 parks, and in set within its own parkland, there is also lots of sports facilities and a gym there which is a great plus if you are into sport. It is also located about 5 minutes from SMithdown Road (one of the main student areas), so there are loads of great cafes, pubs and restaurants nearby to enjoy :smile:. The downside would be not being able to roll out of bed just before your lectures....also on nights out you need to get taxis back after going out!

If you have any further questions about Liverpool let me know.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest