This may seem really weird but Watch

This discussion is closed.
IHavePMS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
does anyone else actually get so caught up in thinking about something that they forget to breathe? Like, you're mid thought, concentrating...then you suddenly gasp for air. It happens to me a lot when i'm in bed; it's really bizarre and worrying at times.
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well breathing is partially in the autonomic nervsystem (direct swedish translation :P) so it isn't possible if not forcibly done? As in if you stop thinking about breathing that is actually thinking about not breathing, or something like that, never happens to me anyways
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should go get that checked out. :dong:
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ponjavic)
Well breathing is partially in the autonomic nervsystem (direct swedish translation :P) so it isn't possible if not forcibly done? As in if you stop thinking about breathing that is actually thinking about not breathing, or something like that, never happens to me anyways
But I never try to stop breathing =/ At least not consciously.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by need_money)
I think you should go get that checked out. :dong:
Naw.
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by IHavePMS)
But I never try to stop breathing =/ At least not consciously.
That's what I meant
Since you often breathe without thinking right?
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
That's what I meant
Since you often breathe without thinking right?
Often? I never think about breathing :P It just happens.
Harv616
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope never happend to me, i normaly just let my body breath for me......
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well breathing is partially in the autonomic nervsystem (direct swedish translation :P) so it isn't possible if not forcibly done?
'autonomic nervous system' - parasympathetic & sympathetic components & is automatic/non voluntary - so it wouldn#t be something you have to force.

in general i don't think we're entirely sure how breathing is controlled, though there are obviously voluntary elements, it's thought to be a serious of reflexes and a brainstem regulated cycle, as i remember.

sounds a bit scary though, IHavePMS. but if it's not happening really often then i'd try not to worry, or perhaps see a Dr just to set your mind at rest.. do you have asthma or any allergies that might influence you're breathing maybe?
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
'autonomic nervous system' - parasympathetic & sympathetic components & is automatic/non voluntary - so it wouldn#t be something you have to force.

in general i don't think we're entirely sure how breathing is controlled, though there are obviously voluntary elements, it's thought to be a serious of reflexes and a brainstem regulated cycle, as i remember.

sounds a bit scary though, IHavePMS. but if it's not happening really often then i'd try not to worry, or perhaps see a Dr just to set your mind at rest.. do you have asthma or any allergies that might influence you're breathing maybe?
That's what I meant, you don't have to force breathing so the non breathing has to be done by force
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elles)
It's definitely not serious; more an observation than a concern. I don't have any allergies either. Thanks.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't think that's ever happened to me, but I do sometimes become so self-conscious that I'm aware of my own breathing, and it feels really uncomfortable, especially when I reach the end of a breath. In fact it's just happened
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
does anyone else actually get so caught up in thinking about something that they forget to breathe? Like, you're mid thought, concentrating...then you suddenly gasp for air. It happens to me a lot when i'm in bed; it's really bizarre and worrying at times.
I can't breathe anymore! ='(
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Naw.
Aye.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zapsta)
Don't think that's ever happened to me, but I do sometimes become so self-conscious that I'm aware of my own breathing, and it feels really uncomfortable, especially when I reach the end of a breath. In fact it's just happened
Reaching the end of a breath is weird, sometimes it's like will you actually take another :eek: I hate the feeling you get after running for a while and you're out of breath, like you could pass out from not being able to catch it back.
IHavePMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I can't breathe anymore! ='(
Mike are you making FUN of me?! :eek: :mad:
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I think it depends on what you're doing in bed
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Reaching the end of a breath is weird, sometimes it's like will you actually take another :eek:
Yeah, then you do actually have to force yourself to breathe. It's like there's a vacuum around you, and all the air's just being sucked out of your lungs. What's all this 'autonomic nervous system' crap? :mad:
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It can happen when your scared or shocked all of a sudden. I think in your case though you are actually breathing slightly but without knowing but then you just take a deep breath
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i tend to breath little most of the time when im busy on other things. i do sometimes become aware of it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads