The Student Room Group

Cambridge Land Economy

Hello! Would appreciate your experience in applying ! Strategy in applying to which college. Thank you : )
Original post by CamLandE
Hello! Would appreciate your experience in applying ! Strategy in applying to which college. Thank you : )

hey! i didn't apply for hsps but i did apply to cambridge this year and got an offer - the strategy i used would be applicable to all courses anyway.
i made a massive spreadsheet using the statistics cambridge has published online graphing the admissions process for each course and college. i looked at each colleges specific stats and calculated the average percentage acceptance rate for my course. after looking at those stats, the typically 'least desirable' colleges like girton and the all women's colleges were at the highest level of acceptance (because they obviously get fewer applications). if you decide you don't mind or like these typically not as desirable colleges i would recomend applying to one of them because it gives you the best chance at getting in. if you don't want to be far out like girton or be with all girls (i don't know what gender you are lol so maybe that isn't applicable to you) you could pick another college which has a high acceptance rate for your course. you just don't want to apply to the ones which offer the least amount of spaces for your course.
Reply 2
Hello and appreciate your insight! I was thinking in the same direction. I am thinking to apply to the one college that offers 3-4 spaces rather than 2 spaces, correct strategy?
Hello and appreciate your insight! I was thinking in the same direction. I am thinking to apply to the one college that offers 3-4 spaces rather than 2 spaces, correct strategy?

There's no strategy to apply in terms of whether you will get an offer - that is moderated by the pooling process.

In terms of a strategy to get into a College you want to attend - fall in love with one of the less well know Colleges. Your chances of getting Trinity, St Johns, Kings etc are vastly reduced because of the numbers of applicants, and your chances of getting pooled are high, assuming you are the right calibre anyway.
Cambridge literally directly debunk the above theory of "tactically choosing a college" on their admissions statistics page, and point out that a college with fewer direct applicants is no more likely to take a weak applicant than any other college. Also Land Economy I think doubly doesn't really factor into this, since as I recall one of the interviews is with the department anyway, which provides a common reference for all applicants across all colleges (due to it being such a small course/department).

Whether to apply to one with 3-4 places rather than 1 or 2 is entirely up to you and should be based simply on whether you would rather be part of a (small) cohort in your college doing the course, or are happy being one of the only people doing the course in college and just engaging with your coursemates through the department and people on different courses in college.

yep thats what i did - usually for my course they take 2-3 people at each college but mine took 6, so i chose there.

there are people replying to your message with things like 'it doesn't matter because a college with less applicants still won't take a weak applicant' which is of course true, but i still think there's no harm in applying to a college with less applicants for your course. this means there are less people to compare you to. it probably won't make that much of a difference, but if you want to maximise your chances i would reccomend doing that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending