The Student Room Group

Messed up one module -- will this matter a lot?

Literally messed up one final-year module. Got 47. Nearly failed :,(

I'm an undergrad at UCL. I've wanted to apply for Oxbridge masters and will be applying after graduating.

My first and second year grades average out somewhere 71-72 range. Final year has been so far so good (except that 47 one lol). If I keep up and grind hard, I would definitely get 1st or a strong 2nd at the very least.

The module I got 47 is kinda related to the master course I want to apply for. They are both social science subjects: the module is about politics and philosophy and the master course is an East European area study.

What do you think? If I apply for Oxbridge, will my messed up final-year module look terrible and impact my applications tremendously? I will work hard but I still want to know how my chances have been affected by that module.
I'm not an admissions tutor by any means, so take this with a grain of salt, but based on what else you've said it'd be worth a shot. they can always say no, but they can also always say yes, and if you're principally within range why not try it and see what happens. like. the worst thing they'll say is no and then thats it.
Hi,
I definitely wouldn't let this stop you from applying! I'm sure most people have had the odd module where they have performed worse than usual (I definitely have!).
Remember that this 47 is likely only a very small percentage of your overall grade - like you have mentioned, you could still be on track for a 2:1 or even a first overall!
Definitely give it a go and make sure to evidence your interest and capability in this particular module area in other ways in your application - maybe there is some work experience or extra-curriculum work you have done? :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Original post by jack12315123
Literally messed up one final-year module. Got 47. Nearly failed :,(

I'm an undergrad at UCL. I've wanted to apply for Oxbridge masters and will be applying after graduating.

My first and second year grades average out somewhere 71-72 range. Final year has been so far so good (except that 47 one lol). If I keep up and grind hard, I would definitely get 1st or a strong 2nd at the very least.

The module I got 47 is kinda related to the master course I want to apply for. They are both social science subjects: the module is about politics and philosophy and the master course is an East European area study.

What do you think? If I apply for Oxbridge, will my messed up final-year module look terrible and impact my applications tremendously? I will work hard but I still want to know how my chances have been affected by that module.

Hey @jack12315123

I don't think this one module of yours would affect your overall percentage and have an impact on the eligibility criteria for your masters application. You should go for it and apply confidently. Best of luck!!:smile:

Kind regards
Bhavya Harika
Student ambassador- Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest