The Student Room Group

Hobbies

I'm a 15-year old girl, and I feel like I'm spending too much time on screens. So, does anyone have any hobbies that I can try? I've tried knitting, miniature clay, drawing, songwriting (I still like songwriting, but sometimes, I have writer's block and I can't write anything) and I don't really like any of them
Maby learning a instrument? Or reading u could try set up a book club if u like reading or a film club
Reply 2
Original post by ebyrne2036
Maby learning a instrument? Or reading u could try set up a book club if u like reading or a film club

I already learned so much instruments. I've learned piano, bass (even though I'm definately not a pro on bass or guitar), guitar and recorder. I want to learn the drums, but drums are so expensive. And I read everyday, but it's not something that I want to do all the time. The film club, I'm trying to reduce screentime
Original post by BraveEagle
I'm a 15-year old girl, and I feel like I'm spending too much time on screens. So, does anyone have any hobbies that I can try? I've tried knitting, miniature clay, drawing, songwriting (I still like songwriting, but sometimes, I have writer's block and I can't write anything) and I don't really like any of them

Hi!

I completely understand the struggle with spending too much time on screens. I'm in my third year studying The Art of Computer Animation and freelance as a digital artist in my spare time so it can be extremely hard to avoid!

I'm not sure what you're hoping to study in the future or what you already do that involves screens, but as someone who makes a living from staring at a computer, TV, or mobile device, there are ways to reduce the side effects. For example, if I'm working on any university projects or digital art commissions, I make sure to take regular breaks and perhaps have a little walk around or go make a coffee to reduce the strain on my eyes, whether I'm on campus or working from home. I also try to wear blue light glasses (I'm not sure how much they help but there's certainly no harm in it!)

Regarding hobbies you could try, if you're interested in games or films and find yourself spending lots of time on screens for either of those, perhaps afterwards you could write down some interesting things you noticed about the film/game or any ideas that come to mind to (hypothetically) make your own? Maybe even a review of the film/game that you could post online later? I appreciate this may not be your sort of thing but just a suggestion from someone who does exactly that :tongue: Another one is macrame, it's a bit random, but I've never really been into knitting and I have absolutely loved macrame ever since I first tried it a year or two ago. It can be really therapeutic once you get the hang of it!

Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get in touch!

- Zoe, Escape Studios Student Rep

Sports? Pets? Gardening? Painting? Baking?
Reply 5
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi!

I completely understand the struggle with spending too much time on screens. I'm in my third year studying The Art of Computer Animation and freelance as a digital artist in my spare time so it can be extremely hard to avoid!

I'm not sure what you're hoping to study in the future or what you already do that involves screens, but as someone who makes a living from staring at a computer, TV, or mobile device, there are ways to reduce the side effects. For example, if I'm working on any university projects or digital art commissions, I make sure to take regular breaks and perhaps have a little walk around or go make a coffee to reduce the strain on my eyes, whether I'm on campus or working from home. I also try to wear blue light glasses (I'm not sure how much they help but there's certainly no harm in it!)

Regarding hobbies you could try, if you're interested in games or films and find yourself spending lots of time on screens for either of those, perhaps afterwards you could write down some interesting things you noticed about the film/game or any ideas that come to mind to (hypothetically) make your own? Maybe even a review of the film/game that you could post online later? I appreciate this may not be your sort of thing but just a suggestion from someone who does exactly that :tongue: Another one is macrame, it's a bit random, but I've never really been into knitting and I have absolutely loved macrame ever since I first tried it a year or two ago. It can be really therapeutic once you get the hang of it!

Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get in touch!

- Zoe, Escape Studios Student Rep

The break thing is definately common sense, but I can never take breaks. Even if the break is only like 20 seconds long (using the 20-20-20 rule) I just feel awkward doing it.
Reply 6
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Sports? Pets? Gardening? Painting? Baking?

I could definately try gardening. But I painting and baking, I would love to paint more, but I'm just not the creative painting type. I prefer to be creative through songs or poems. But, like I said, I sometimes get writer's block and it makes me not want to write. And baking, I'm too lazy to do the dishes afterwards.
martial arts
calligraphy
tarot reading
jewellery making
writing stories
sewing
origami
I could definately try gardening. But I painting and baking, I would love to paint more, but I'm just not the creative painting type. I prefer to be creative through songs or poems. But, like I said, I sometimes get writer's block and it makes me not want to write. And baking, I'm too lazy to do the dishes afterwards.

I love baking!!!!!
petting cats while drinking tea
I learn French on duolingo (literally just 5 mins everyday), go to the gym, use tsr, am a volunteer for a few places and journal. Maybe you could see if your local charity shop could use some help for a few hours a week?

Good job for being pro-active, I know it's hard to get started :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)

You can try dancing, ice skating, photography, playing squash, badminton, and horse racing.
The break thing is definately common sense, but I can never take breaks. Even if the break is only like 20 seconds long (using the 20-20-20 rule) I just feel awkward doing it.

Hi @BraveEagle!

I know it can be a struggle to take breaks - especially if you find it hard to switch between "work mode" and "break mode", or if your mind keeps going back to work during that time away from the screen. I had this same issue, and one thing that really helped me was changing from time-oriented breaks (like the 20-20-20 rule) to a more goal-oriented structure. For example, I split my task into smaller steps and scheduled breaks between tasks rather than set intervals. I'm an animation student like Zoe, so I would decide on a certain number of frames to animate between breaks, or decide on completing the animation of a specific action, then have my break. Similar milestone-oriented breaks are possible for all work. That way, you can feel like you came to a natural stopping point when you take a break instead of pulling yourself out of the zone when you don't want to break focus.

I hope this helps you with that all-important balance! Remember that good productivity is about making sure you feel okay as much as it is about getting work done. :smile:

If you have any other questions, feel free to reply and a Rep will be with you as soon as possible.

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest