Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion homophobia is disgusting, but I wanna know what you all think, do I have the right to hate it? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    In my personal opinion homophobia is disgusting, but I wanna know what you all think, do I have the right to hate it? What do you think?
    You need an in-between... I don't have a problem with homosexuals at all, but many people just feel disturbed by concepts such as anal sex, and that's the only thing they have against homosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    I think that homophobia is as baseless as racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    many people just feel disturbed by concepts such as anal sex, and that's the only thing they have against homosexuals.
    The amount of people who advocate this view but crave to have anal sex with the opposite sex in quite ironic.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the poll private and not public? Can those who vote valid opinion justify their choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The amount of people who advocate this view but crave to have anal sex with the opposite sex in quite ironic.
    and equally disturbing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    and equally disturbing
    We already know your view on this matter :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    We already know your view on this matter :p:
    unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I only really think that somethig like racism or homophobia can be somewhat valid, if numerous people of that race/orientation have done something to personally upset/hurt/frighten you. Then you can pretty much back up why you might be naturally suspicious of a race/orintation.

-

As for homophobes who just rattle on about it being "unnatural" and call gay/les/bi people "disgusting and immoral" ...well, I have little time for these people. They're obviously rigid and unfailing in their opinions, and if they are going to stick their heads in the sand as to how far we have come in terms of acceptance then let them. They're missing out on the respect and friendship of some nice people.

I don't like, nor respect people who give me attitude because of my orientation. I dislike being part of some kind of "immoral" group, rather than being judged on my own merits. But whatever. who wants to be friends with a closeminded homophobe anyway.
    i doubt many people are scared of homosexuality as homophobe literally suggests.

many people just find it distasteful, irrational, even wrong. others just have hatred.

as for acceptance and tolerance, well thats just fiction when you start including the human race

ReputationRep:
    in general society its doesnt seem widely accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    doesn't mean it's right to dislike it because the majority does.
    i didnt say it was right or wrong

ReputationRep:
    Most prejudiced points of view are defensible - at least to an extent - but i cant understand how anyone could be homophobic without ignorance being the most important factor.

ReputationRep:
    maybe a fear of the unknown

ReputationRep:
    Ok - so we've established that it's mindless to have an unjustified opinion. But are there any justifiable homophobic prejudices? Is this subjective or objective here?

ReputationRep:
    hetrosexist is the term which applies to people who feel that homosexual relationships are wrong and think they shouldn't take place, but do not hate homosexuals, this is probably the class that alot of people who are classed as homophobic are. Homophobia is a harted of gay people which is obviously stupid, as there is no reason to hate them

(Original post by thefish_uk)
    You need an in-between... I don't have a problem with homosexuals at all, but many people just feel disturbed by concepts such as anal sex, and that's the only thing they have against homosexuals.
    You know a survery showed that a large percentage of french women have has anal sex. And I'd bet a good proportion of the mindless homophobes would certainly have anal sex with the girlfriend.
    Its a rubbish reason to hate homosexuals.

(Original post by KidA)
    hetrosexist is the term which applies to people who feel that homosexual relationships are wrong and think they shouldn't take place, but do not hate homosexuals, this is probably the class that alot of people who are classed as homophobic are. Homophobia is a harted of gay people which is obviously stupid, as there is no reason to hate them
    Except they have such damned good fashion sense...

One up the bum,
    no harm done

ReputationRep:
    Damn straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    Damn straight.
    was that meant to be an ironic comment'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    You know a survery showed that a large percentage of french women have has anal sex. And I'd bet a good proportion of the mindless homophobes would certainly have anal sex with the girlfriend.
    Its a rubbish reason to hate homosexuals.
    Add that to the fact that you aren't actually forced into visualising anyone, gay or straight, having sex and the argument becomes even more flawed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.