Turn on thread page Beta

Homophobia: valid opinion or mindless prejudice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    but isn't it ironic that you shag women and not men?
    How is that ironic...???

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What is more accepted?

lesbians, everyone where talking about men like you said and maybe that is because lesbians more accepted than men that are homosexual. sorry for the late reply, maybe you don't care anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elainawilliams)
    I have been out with men who didn't want to go there.
    Never said all but one of my arch rivals at secondary school was homophobic but tried inserting his erect penis in his ex-girlfriend's anus (as I knew her too well at times). Apparently the difference between this and gay men for him was that it was her girl. Then again, he was thick.

Think what comes out of that hole ,it's a one way street.
    Urine and period blood for the other?

...at least heterosexuals have a choice of which hole to use. Gay men don't.
    Gay men have less choice strictly speaking but they can choose whether to participate in anal sex or not, they don't all do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    lesbians, everyone where talking about men like you said and maybe that is because lesbians more accepted than men that are homosexual.
    It seems that they are more accepted. I don't distinguish between either of them.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that they are more accepted. I don't distinguish between either of them.
    but why are they more accepted? Is it because the thought of two lesbian women being together might seem rather attractive to some men..as opposed to the thought of two gays being together?

or it can be due to the fact that they are less visible.. I mean.. sometimes it its rather easy to distinguish if a man is gay or not (gay tend to behave and dress in another way) but it is almost impossible to distiguish a lesbian from a heterosexual women according to their behaviour and way they dress..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsimony)
    but why are they more accepted? Is it because the thought of two lesbian women being together might seem rather attractive to some men..as opposed to the thought of two gays being together?
    I guess some history surrounding homosexual women their male counterparts have some influence in this. I don't know why this is so, all I can think of is that many heterosexual men find lesbian sexual intimacy appealing, and so, let them off so to speak. This is basically what Henry VIII did as I mentioned ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    Don't confuse terms here. A phobia is a mental condition, such as arachnaphobi, agoraphobia, claustrophobia etcetera. To the extent a homoPHOBIA is the case, it can be valid.....however that is not an opinion and the existance of such a thing seems doubtable to me, people with phobia cannot help it themselves, and this has nothing to do with prejudice or hate whatsoever. So homophobia must not be confused with racism or hate, but may not be used as an excuse either.

ReputationRep:
    1. homophobia
    The fear of getting fcuked up the ass.
    Damm i think i have homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    1. homophobia
    The fear of getting fcuked up the ass.
    Damm i think i have homophobia.
    um lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanBen)
    Don't confuse terms here. A phobia is a mental condition, such as arachnaphobi, agoraphobia, claustrophobia etcetera. To the extent a homoPHOBIA is the case, it can be valid.....however that is not an opinion and the existance of such a thing seems doubtable to me, people with phobia cannot help it themselves, and this has nothing to do with prejudice or hate whatsoever. So homophobia must not be confused with racism or hate, but may not be used as an excuse either.
    It's been noted several times during the course of this thread that homophobia is being interpreted more colloquially than etymologically - it may "mean" fear etc, but it's used more often to refer to hatred / prejudice, and it's this that is apparently being weighed for 'validity'.

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    It's been noted several times during the course of this thread that homophobia is being interpreted more colloquially than etymologically - it may "mean" fear etc, but it's used more often to refer to hatred / prejudice, and it's this that is apparently being weighed for 'validity'.

ZarathustraX
    That's why I also mentioned it should not be used as a jsutification of hatred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I think some are scared subconsciously- fear of what they don't understand....or even fear that they themselves are homosexual and don't want to deal.

granted others share; dislike, hatred.

I agree, you said it all for homophobics. Has anyone seen American Beauty? That is quite good to comment on is we're looking at homophobia.

I think homophibics to that extent need a bit of help overcoming there phobia and hatred of homosexual, Generally I think that homophobia is wrong and overcoming it essential, I think it is mindless and ignorant but to others it could be quite geniune fear-which obviously needs to be looked at because lets face it. Homosexulas can't help being homosexual and nobody should be denied a loving and forfilling relationship. I personally don't have problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    And a genuine fear of homosexuals is what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanBen)

I agree with this also but is it actually proven as a mental condition?? It needs to be treated as a PHOBIA. But it does have hints of prejudice and a kind of racism because it involves fear and ignorance as does racism. Fo some I think that its just a case of ignorance but for others I do think that its a geniune phobia that needs to be looked at.

ReputationRep:
    Im bisexual and I think people are intitled to their views- even if they are insensitive. No opinion is wrong at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    And a genuine fear of homosexuals is what exactly?
    A geniune fear of homosexuals is a geniune fear of anything unknown or strange. A geniune fear of spiders or other races is what exactly?? By no way condoning homophobia though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    A geniune fear of homosexuals is a geniune fear of anything unknown or strange. A geniune fear of spiders or other races is what exactly?? By no way condoning homophobia though.
    I guess so. But then how many people would fit the genuine fear category compared to plain ignorance? I should imagine not many people will be the former and mostly will be the latter.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so. But then how many people would fit the genuine fear category compared to plain ignorance? I should imagine not many people will be the former and mostly will be the latter.
    Yes, probably.

Has anyone seen American Beauty? Its really quite relevant

ReputationRep:
    Think this way now:
    if everyone was homo then no one would reporduce then human will be instinct.
    if everyone was hetero then nearly everyone have kids as it has always been so human survive.

the trend this days of saying everyone is free to do what pleases him is gowing very dangerous. first protitution was seen as ok, then now homosexuality is going to be seen as normal, then having sex with animals will be normalized, then it will be the turn for peodophilia to make its stand, who knows what will be next.

my point is, we as humans have a consciense to stand for social dicency and morality and are not like animals who follow their desires. If dicency and virtue are being left out for the name of freedom then cursed be freedom.
    LOOK at any law, it ONLY exist to prevent self destruction of the population that abide by it. Therfore if our moral degradation permets us not to see that homosexuality is indeed the worst vice that could/will annihilate nations if they protect not themselves from it.
    per example. a psychopath take plasure from killing people. if the people said it is not his fault that killing satisfies him but his genes, therfore he should be allowed to kill. at first psychopath are restricted to kill only each other and those the population wants to get rid of. after few decades there is no one for the psychs to kill so they decide to kill the inhabitant of the city thus destroy the city. Looking at this unlikely story objectively one comes to realises that it is the city's law that led to self destruction.
    this anecdote illustre well why homosexuality should not be an acceptable behaviour.

Above all the worst is how could you have anal sex between two men, thats just unthinkable.
    I rest my case

ReputationRep:
    If everyone had an abortion, used contraception, or had anal and/or oral sex to completion we'd also be instinct. Boo hoo.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.