Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand Homophobia, what effect does someone being gay have on someone else.
    Don't think many gay and lesbian people are going to try and jump into bed with every same sex person they see. Strange how some people feel threatened by the whole thing. I say live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I thought a phobia was a fear of something. Hence homophobia must be a fear of gays. What kind of person is scared of gays? :rolleyes: *sniggers quietly to himself*
    No. It also covers a severe dislike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Duh.

No ****?
    I think there's an outside chance it might have been a joke. Wake up and smell the coffee people. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    I think there's an outside chance it might have been a joke. Wake up and smell the coffee people. :rolleyes:
    You win the prize

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, I hadn't realised!

I must now obey your order by seeking coffee to awaken myself from my prior state of idiotic slumberland. Please accept my sincere apoligies, oh wise and very much alert one.

I realise it was a joke. English students!

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, I hadn't realised!
    It's ok, as long as you get it now.

I must now obey your order by seeking coffee to awaken myself from my prior state of idiotic slumberland. Please accept my sincere apoligies, oh wise and very much alert one.
    Seriously, no need to apologise - it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    You win the prize
    Yay! :marchmell

ReputationRep:
    It's valid because it's an opinion and all opinions (well, at least most everyday one's) are fairly subjective. Let's not confuse validity with rationality.
    Eh? Please explain how an opinion can be valid and irrational. Perhaps my understanding of the word "valid" is incorrect but if all opinions are valid then it becomes meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok, as long as you get it now.

Seriously, no need to apologise - it's fine.
    Thankyou. You are truly merciful.

ReputationRep:
    It's valid because it's an opinion and all opinions (well, at least most everyday one's) are fairly subjective. Let's not confuse validity with rationality.
    So is anyone's opinion on any subject "valid"?

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Please explain how an opinion can be valid and irrational. Perhaps my understanding of the word "valid" is incorrect but if all opinions are valid then it becomes meaningless.
    Most phobias are without cause and therefore irrational by definition, but that doesn't make them invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Most phobias are without cause and therefore irrational by definition, but that doesn't make them invalid.
    I was talking about opinions, not phobias. But I think you have hit the nail on the head right there - the poll question is flawed as phobia and opinion are different matters. The opinion "spiders are disgusting" is different to "I am scared of spiders"- which is not an opinion; either you are scared of spiders or not.

When I think of an opinion as being valid, I take it to mean the opinion is formed in a valid manner, ie through reason.

ReputationRep:
    Millions of people are of the opinion that God does indeed exist. Is that a rational opinion/belief or something one just "feels"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    No. It also covers a severe dislike.
    I was aiming to amuse. Sorry you missed it.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about opinions, not phobias. But I think you have hit the nail on the head right there - the poll question is flawed as phobia and opinion are different matters. The opinion "spiders are disgusting" is different to "I am scared of spiders"- which is not an opinion; either you are scared of spiders or not.

When I think of an opinion as being valid, I take it to mean the opinion is formed in a valid manner, ie through reason.
    Though the two can be pretty much one and the same, as in a way phobias are simply a specific form (fear) of irrational opinion.

I think really the problem is with the word "homophobia" (which was probably coined by gays so they could throw it around like all the other "-ism"s) as it is used as something to "blame", when really phobias are rather blameless creatures! Granted, if someone goes skydiving and then develops a fear of heights or planes then it's probably their own fault, but generally speaking you cannot "blame" someone for having an irrational fear or dislike of something, whether this be spiders or gay people.

ReputationRep:
    So is anyone's opinion on any subject "valid"?
    I refer the right honorable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier (#35)

ReputationRep:
    Millions of people are of the opinion that God does indeed exist. Is that a rational opinion/belief or something one just "feels"?
    Any good philosopher can construct a rational argument for the existence of God. Whether or not it is true is of no relevance. If someone believes in God because, say, their parents do, I would say they have no suffeciently valid reasoning- whether or not that means their opinion is valid is debatable, but i think the focus should be on the formulation of an opinion rather than anything intrinsic of the opinion itself.

ReputationRep:
    Though the two can be pretty much one and the same, as in a way phobias are simply a specific form (fear) of irrational opinion.

I think really the problem is with the word "homophobia" (which was probably coined by gays so they could throw it around like all the other "-ism"s) as it is used as something to "blame", when really phobias are rather blameless creatures! Granted, if someone goes skydiving and then develops a fear of heights or planes then it's probably their own fault, but generally speaking you cannot "blame" someone for having an irrational fear or dislike of something, whether this be spiders or gay people.
    I think there is a definate language issue here. I would try and see past the word "homophobia" and look for something more clear. For example, I could not conisder prejudice as a valid means of forming an opinion. Also, when someone has a phobia of something, they are often encouraged to confront that fear, with the hope that if they recognise it is irrational they will begin to understand that they really have nothing to be afraid of. i agree that homophobia may not be the correct term, as I doubt the idea that people can be afraid of gay people in the same way as they are afraid of spiders/ confined spaces etc, do you ever hear of people who are "blackophobic" or "disablitiyophobic"? Anyway, I feel that any generalisation of homosexuals as "bad people" or to that effect is invalid, as unless an aspect of homosexuality can be identified as being universally negative, it is blind prejudice (which i feel can never be valid).

ReputationRep:
    imo it's like racism (i no some ppl will disagree). i don't like it, but i don't stop speaking to gay friends because they're gay it's dumb, if that happened there would be such segregation of people who are disliked by the majority.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think homosexuality should be at all encouraged but neither do i think homosexuals should be persecuted or discriminated against because of their sexuality. I hope i'm not classed as homophobic for that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.