Homophobia: valid opinion or mindless prejudice? Watch

This discussion is closed.
annabellewalter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I don't mind if you would rather not say. But why shouldn't it be encouraged?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabellewalter)
What are you talking about?

Good God! What sort of father would say to his son "I'd really avoid women if I were you, marriage, kids and all that nonsense......I'd really encourage you to find yourself a well hung man with a moustache" :rolleyes:
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Because if that's the way you feel, and if you just aren't hetrosexual then you should be encouraged to express that.............

Fathers dont give advice on sexuality like a career choice, it's already there.
Zarathustra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Imho, homophobia (and in order to avoid confusion I shall define this as dislike/hatred of "gays" because they're gay) is by definition prejudice and therefore invalid as a way of judging people.

To dislike gay people is to make a general assumption about a heterogeneous group of people based on one shared characteristic that does not determine the rest of the their personality. Just like racism generalises hatred on the basis of colour.
That's why it's "prejudice".
It's "invalid" because sexual orientation tells you hardly anything about a person - so the inference from "they fancy the same sex" to "they are deserving of my hatred" is invalid.

I don't understand how it can be seen as reasonable to have a strong dislike of person-X (to the extent that you would proclaim them to be "disgusting" and pass laws discriminating against them) when you have never met X and know nothing about them other than their sexual orientation.
And for "sexual orientation" you could substitute race, religion, gender, etc.

ZarathustraX
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Because if that's the way you feel, and you just aren't hetrosexual then you should be encouraged to express that.............

Fathers dont give advice on sexuality like a career choice, it's already there.
I see what you mean. The person in question has already self identified himself/herself as homosexual. That's obviously a somewhat different situation than I was thinking about.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
I think the thing is, you have homosexual tendencies or you don't. No one is encouraging straight people to be gay, it's about encouraging gay people to feel comfortable with who they are, and feel accepted within their society and be able to express their sexuality without fear of persecution.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think if sexual orientation is not a matter of choice (which research increasingly shows to be the case) then the concept of "encouragement" is irrelevant - if people are gay, no lack of encouragement is going to make them straight, and encouragement to be gay isn't going to "turn" hets.
It's quite worrying, imho, that in order not to "encourage" it you get things like section28 etc. in educational situations - it's horrible that there are young kids discovering themselves to be gay, not knowing what to do and being unable to get any advice etc. Forced to sit through SE lessons that are largely irrelevant to them, basically informed that they don't exist by the curriculum, etc.
But that's moved off the point somewhat...

ZarathustraX

EDIT: Annabellewalter, you beat me to it! Sorry all. (Nice post, btw).
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the thing is, you have homosexual tendencies or you don't. No one is encouraging straight people to be gay, it's about encouraging gay people to feel comfortable with who they are, and feel accepted within their society and be able to express their sexuality without fear of persecution.
Sounds fair enough. As long as they don't express their sexuality at the adjacent table in a restaurant. It's as much as I can bear to watch a hetero couple slobbering over one another, I don't know if I could take a couple of bearded biker types swapping spit while I dine.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well put.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
How can homosexuals ever feel equal when they are not considered equal?
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Imho, homophobia (and in order to avoid confusion I shall define this as dislike/hatred of "gays" because they're gay) is by definition prejudice and therefore invalid as a way of judging people.

To dislike gay people is to make a general assumption about a heterogeneous group of people based on one shared characteristic that does not determine the rest of the their personality. Just like racism generalises hatred on the basis of colour.
That's why it's "prejudice".
It's "invalid" because sexual orientation tells you hardly anything about a person - so the inference from "they fancy the same sex" to "they are deserving of my hatred" is invalid.

I don't understand how it can be seen as reasonable to have a strong dislike of person-X (to the extent that you would proclaim them to be "disgusting" and pass laws discriminating against them) when you have never met X and know nothing about them other than their sexual orientation.
And for "sexual orientation" you could substitute race, religion, gender, etc.

ZarathustraX
Good post. I think you put that pretty clearly!
It's very true, some people who happily bandy about homophobic comments would be mortified to be put in the same category as racists. At the end of the day, we are not entirely defined by our sexuality or our race. Therefore, to hate somebody for one such reason is foolish in the extreme.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it is right for people to be influenced into a particular sexuality that will have very significant effects on your future.

Lets be honest, not a great many people are in favour of homosexuality and it can only serve to be a handicap to the way you live your life as you'll constantly be discriminated against.

It's also not at all natural. It's not the way nature intended us to be and many feel threatened or mildly wary of homosexuals (males towards males particuarly).
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How can homosexuals ever feel equal when they are not considered equal?
I think they are generally considered equal to be honest. Don't make this a "victim issue" because most gays don't so neither should you.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll admit that i feel rather uncomfortable being around gay people but i wouldn't go out of my way to offend them. I think that's a well thought out post, though i'd rather never see or heard about them expressing their sexuality.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
I'll admit that i feel rather uncomfortable being around gay people but i wouldn't go out of my way to offend them.
Oh, nothing wrong with a few Freddie Mercury jokes.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
How on earth can you be influenced into a sexuality? And for all the 'significant effects on your future' i think being emotionally and psychologically repressed and being forced to believe that your very existence is 'unnatural' is the greatest handicap a human could have. Why feel threatened? What do you think they are going to do? Rape you? How is it rationally possible to be threatened by a man who fancies other men?
'(males towards males particuarly)'
What on earth is this? Men worried other men will fancy them just because they are gay? Do these 'men' assume all women fancy them?
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
I am not turning this into a victim issue? Why do you assume I am not gay?
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How on earth can you be influenced into a sexuality?
Young people could be. If the alternative sexuality becomes widely accepted or encouraged in some circumstances I think this will take advantage of their vunerability.

And for all the 'significant effects on your future' i think being emotionally and psychologically repressed and being forced to believe that your very existence is 'unnatural' is the greatest handicap a human could have.
Perhaps. It depends entirely on how sexual the person is.

Why feel threatened? What do you think they are going to do? Rape you?
Not particuarly. Most males seem to either feel wary of homosexuals or violent towards them. Which would you rather people be?

How is it rationally possible to be threatened by a man who fancies other men?
As in physically threatened, not on the courtship side of things.

'(males towards males particuarly)'
What on earth is this? Men worried other men will fancy them just because they are gay? Do these 'men' assume all women fancy them?
Surely you've noticed that women are much more tolerant to the alternative sexuality in general.
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not sure if you think prejudice has to be mindless... It is frequently quite the opposite.

Aitch
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"Valid opinion". How can an opinion be "valid"? Sorry if that's already been mentioned, can't be bothered going through the thread!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads