The Student Room Group

Failed a core module in my retake year and they want to kick me off. Its not fair!

Hi all.

First time round, I had covid and was isolating so was unable to take my exam the first time round. I put in a special cons and was given an uncapped resit in the summer.

Unfortunately, I failed that so was told I had to resit the year.

So, I am doing my 2nd year for a 2nd time and have failed this core module again but they want allow me to resit because its retake year.

I feel that this is a bit unfair as I have had two shots at this exam, 1 in the first year and one in the retake. Had I not had Covid and failed it the first time, I would have had 3 shots at the exam.

I am going to appeal but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Given the covid sitch last year my case cant be so uncommon.

Thanks all.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DC73
Hi all.

First time round, I had covid and was isolating so was unable to take my exam the first time round. I put in a special cons and was given an uncapped resit in the summer.

So, I am doing my 2nd year for a 2nd time and have failed this core module again but they want allow me to resit because its retake year.

I feel that this is a bit unfair as I have had two shots at this exam, 1 in the first year and one in the retake. Had I not had Covid and failed it the first time, I would have had 3 shots at the exam.

I am going to appeal but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Given the covid sitch last year my case cant be so uncommon.

Thanks all.

Given that you failed this exam/module last summer, is it not a reasonable assumption that you would also have failed if you'd been able to take in when it was originally scheduled (were it not for you having to isolate due to Covid)?

Or is it your view that had you been able to take it at the original sitting you'd have passed, despite having been unable to pass it on two subsequent occasions?
Reply 2
Entirely fair. Two fails is quite enough.
Why have you kept failing it? And what makes you think you wouldn't fail it again?
Reply 4
Original post by DC73
Hi all.

Thanks all.

Original post by gjd800
Entirely fair. Two fails is quite enough.

How is it fair when anyone else would have 3 yet because I had covid and, the government and university told me to isolate, I had 2?
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Given that you failed this exam/module last summer, is it not a reasonable assumption that you would also have failed if you'd been able to take in when it was originally scheduled (were it not for you having to isolate due to Covid)?

Or is it your view that had you been able to take it at the original sitting you'd have passed, despite having been unable to pass it on two subsequent occasions?

It is reasonable to assume anyone who fails twice would fail a third time yet under normal circumstances they still have that third chance.
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Why have you kept failing it? And what makes you think you wouldn't fail it again?

I might fail again, but I deserve a shot, like anyone else would get.
Original post by DC73
How is it fair when anyone else would have 3 yet because I had covid and, the government and university told me to isolate, I had 2?

if i'm reading this right, didn't you get a second attempt in first year because you had COVID? under normal circumstances, you would only have had two.
Reply 8
Original post by vapordave
if i'm reading this right, didn't you get a second attempt in first year because you had COVID? under normal circumstances, you would only have had two.

Normally you get 2 then have to retake the year and so get a third in the 2nd year.

I had only 1 in the first year which is really the basis for my grumble. Not to mention the 2x 9k!
Original post by DC73
Normally you get 2 then have to retake the year and so get a third in the 2nd year.

I had only 1 in the first year which is really the basis for my grumble. Not to mention the 2x 9k!

And what mark did you get the first time round? And the second? Specifically.

Your maths seems wrong. You failed at the first attempt, failed the resit and then had to re-enrol on the module. You've now failed the third attempt. You have thus failed three attempts. Game over. apologies - I didn't read your OP properly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DC73
Hi all.

Thanks all.

Three (long) revision periods and two fails. Take the hint.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
And what mark did you get the first time round? And the second? Specifically.

Your maths seems wrong. You failed at the first attempt, failed the resit and then had to re-enrol on the module. You've now failed the third attempt. You have thus failed three attempts. Game over.

No I only did it one time in the first year, re-enrolled and failed this year. So twice.
Original post by DC73
No I only did it one time in the first year, re-enrolled and failed this year. So twice.

Yes, apologies - you did say you didn't attend the first sitting, only the deferred assessment.

It's not unusual to be withdrawn from the course after failing a re-enrolment year. You can't have unlimited attempts - it's not in your or the university's best interests.

If you believe that you have been offered fewer resit/assessment opportunities than your course regs permit, then you need to speak to your programme leader about this.
Original post by DC73
X

Even if we assume your appeal is successful, you do still need to think long and hard about whether you will pass or not on your next attempt. It’s only going to get harder, and the fact you are struggling to pass a core module (i.e. achieve 40%) after two attempts isn’t a good sign!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Original post by threeportdrift
Three (long) revision periods and two fails. Take the hint.

Yeah I get that but I paid my money and want my shot.
Reply 15
Original post by 5hyl33n
Even if we assume your appeal is successful, you do still need to think long and hard about whether you will pass or not on your next attempt. It’s only going to get harder, and the fact you are struggling to pass a core module (i.e. achieve 40%) after two attempts isn’t a good sign!

Yes that is a completely fair point.
Don’t think it’s worth all this hullabaloo when it’s very likely you’re just going to fail again. You should instead be focussing on why you keep failing and take measures to rectify it, which will be useful in your current course (assuming they let you stay) or another course you may do after this one.
Original post by DC73
It is reasonable to assume anyone who fails twice would fail a third time yet under normal circumstances they still have that third chance.

A valid point. I guess it boils down to how the university have written their resit policy. Is the non-attendance at the first sitting (due to you isolating) still counted at "attempt 1" (even though there was no actual attempt). Would it have been treated any different if you simply hadn't turned up that day because you overslept? In that scenario, although it wouldn't have been "attempt 1" it would be reasonable to consider that you had squandered that first opportunity. Isolating due to Covid seems different. I'm happy to trawl through their academic regulations and find out how they've worded the rules. Which uni is this?
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Don’t think it’s worth all this hullabaloo when it’s very likely you’re just going to fail again. You should instead be focussing on why you keep failing and take measures to rectify it, which will be useful in your current course (assuming they let you stay) or another course you may do after this one.

+1 for 'hullabaloo' - a lovely trip out for this under-appreciated word.
Reply 19
Original post by DataVenia
A valid point. I guess it boils down to how the university have written their resit policy. Is the non-attendance at the first sitting (due to you isolating) still counted at "attempt 1" (even though there was no actual attempt). Would it have been treated any different if you simply hadn't turned up that day because you overslept? In that scenario, although it wouldn't have been "attempt 1" it would be reasonable to consider that you had squandered that first opportunity. Isolating due to Covid seems different. I'm happy to trawl through their academic regulations and find out how they've worded the rules. Which uni is this?

That's a kind offer.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest