The Student Room Group

Is biomed a good choice for a backup?

So I have been trying to get in to vet school and this year will be my third year applying, I have decided if I don't get in this year I will do a degree in a different field. I have AAA in bio, chem and maths and was wondering how hard/competitive is biomedical science and is it a good idea to do it as my backup compared to microbiology. Every year I had been given offers to do microbiology but have not tried for biomed, from my understanding of the 2 they are very similar but biomedical science allows for a wider career path with more opportunities.
I can’t speak for how good a degree with biomed can be (that depends on your interests, really), but it is true that biomed is broader than microbiology. Biomed also does allow more career opportunities. Some use it as a stepping stone for GEM, others go into the NHS and some decide to continue their studies to go into research or academia. It’s really up to you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I can’t speak for how good a degree with biomed can be (that depends on your interests, really), but it is true that biomed is broader than microbiology. Biomed also does allow more career opportunities. Some use it as a stepping stone for GEM, others go into the NHS and some decide to continue their studies to go into research or academia. It’s really up to you :smile:

How competitive is the degree to get into?
Original post by will090909
How competitive is the degree to get into?

It’s not crazy competitive like med, but there’s still a fair number of people who apply. It also depends on which unis you’re aiming for. Did you have any in mind?
Reply 4
It’s not crazy competitive like med, but there’s still a fair number of people who apply. It also depends on which unis you’re aiming for. Did you have any in mind?

I was looking at going to Bristol
I was looking at going to Bristol

A good choice :smile: Are you planning to go this year or next year? Because the equal consideration deadline for this year has already passed, so if you do apply now your application will be classed as ‘late’. However, you could check if this course is available in UCAS Extra if you’re set on going this year itself.
Reply 6
A good choice :smile: Are you planning to go this year or next year? Because the equal consideration deadline for this year has already passed, so if you do apply now your application will be classed as ‘late’. However, you could check if this course is available in UCAS Extra if you’re set on going this year itself.

I would be looking to do this next year but that's only if I get rejected for vet med by unis next year, I would put biomed as my backup though
I would be looking to do this next year but that's only if I get rejected for vet med by unis next year, I would put biomed as my backup though

Sounds like a plan! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest