Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i dont think that saying we enoy sex because that way it keeps the human race going is the right reason - all creatures reproduce so their species doesnt die out but they dont actually get any pleasure from it. like lessthanthree said, us and dolphins are the only ones doing it for pleasure but its not like wer the only species left on the planet! (oh dear am i making sense?...)
    hmmm a good question has been posed. maybe it is something to do with the intelligence thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    i dont think that saying we enoy sex because that way it keeps the human race going is the right reason - all creatures reproduce so their species doesnt die out but they dont actually get any pleasure from it. like lessthanthree said, us and dolphins are the only ones doing it for pleasure but its not like wer the only species left on the planet! (oh dear am i making sense?...)
    hmmm a good question has been posed. maybe it is something to do with the intelligence thing...
    It's possible that we might be extinct without the feeling for sex though. Maybe we do not have the crave for reproduction as other animals. I believe it's a combination of both though.

Any biologist care to fill in the blanks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    appendix and tonsils are proof of our creation by randomness
    The appendix used to be needed.
    However we have changed genetically and evolved and we no longer have a use for it.
    It's like opposible thumbs. We evolved from apes, one ape was born with opposible thumbs as a result of a genetic mutation. They helped him to survive (picking up food...holding things like branches) and so he was able to mate and the gene continued. Because it was useful it carried on and we evolved with it.
    The appendix is in reverse. It once helped us (I think as fish/sea creatures) and now it doesn't. The human body just hasn't got rid of it yet as it is of no harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    The appendix used to be needed.
    However we have changed genetically and evolved and we no longer have a use for it.
    It's like opposible thumbs. We evolved from apes, one ape was born with opposible thumbs as a result of a genetic mutation. They helped him to survive (picking up food...holding things like branches) and so he was able to mate and the gene continued. Because it was useful it carried on and we evolved with it.
    The appendix is in reverse. It once helped us (I think as fish/sea creatures) and now it doesn't. The human body just hasn't got rid of it yet as it is of no harm.
    Ehrm it's not like it would get rid of it if it was of harm. It's more likely the version with the harmful appendix would not survive thus we now have the one with the unharmful one (should the unlikely event happen with two differente appendixes) Get my drift?

ReputationRep:
    When we look at somebody of the opposite sex our hormones kick in and say "have sex with that person to reproduce and carry the human race on". Without that drive we wouldn't want to have sex with other people in a similar way that not many people look at a light switch and think "I must turn that on and off 9 times right now" and we'd all go extinct.

If you believe in evolution then maybe with early humans there were really weird ones who felt compelled to have sex and reproduced and ones who weren't bothered and just laughed but then died out. Today we're left with the ones who want to have sex.

That drive exists so we can reproduce but because we have intelligence we know that we don't want to have babies crawling around all over the place so we've made contraceptives which means we can satisfy our desire to have sex without actually reproducing. The question I'd like to know the answer to is what's driving us to reproduce? If you think about it, we want to have sex (because of hormones) and a baby is the handy by-product of this but now we can stop that. Is there another hormone that only kicks in at certain times telling us to do away with contraceptives and have a baby?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.