The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A-Level Question Help!

Hi! I was struggling on how best to answer this question because I have a very limited ideas. Could someone guide me or tell me what is possible to write for this question:

Discuss research into the disruption of biological rhythms (e.g. shift work, jet lag) (16 marks)

Much appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
Biological rhythms are important for maintaining the optimal functioning of physiological and behavioral processes in humans. The disruption of biological rhythms, such as those caused by shift work and jet lag, can have negative effects on health and well-being. Here is a discussion of research into the disruption of biological rhythms:

1) Shift work: Studies have shown that shift work, especially night shift work, can disrupt the body's natural circadian rhythm and lead to a range of negative health outcomes, including increased risk of cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, and cancer. This disruption of circadian rhythm can also lead to sleep disturbances, fatigue, and impaired cognitive functioning.

2) Jet lag: Jet lag occurs when traveling across time zones disrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm. Research has shown that jet lag can cause a range of symptoms, including fatigue, insomnia, irritability, and impaired cognitive performance. The severity and duration of these symptoms can vary depending on the number of time zones crossed and the direction of travel.

3) Social jet lag: Social jet lag refers to the discrepancy between an individual's biological clock and their social or work schedule. This can occur when individuals stay up late on weekends or have irregular sleep schedules. Research has shown that social jet lag can lead to similar health outcomes as shift work and jet lag, including increased risk of metabolic disorders and depression.

4) Light exposure: Light exposure is a critical factor in regulating the body's circadian rhythm. Studies have shown that exposure to light during the night can disrupt circadian rhythm and lead to negative health outcomes. Additionally, exposure to light during the day, especially bright natural light, can help reset the body's circadian rhythm and reduce the negative effects of jet lag and shift work.

Overall, research has shown that the disruption of biological rhythms, including those caused by shift work, jet lag, and social jet lag, can have negative effects on health and well-being. Understanding these effects is important for developing interventions and strategies to minimize the negative impact of these disruptions.
Original post by MlightOr
Hi! I was struggling on how best to answer this question because I have a very limited ideas. Could someone guide me or tell me what is possible to write for this question:

Discuss research into the disruption of biological rhythms (e.g. shift work, jet lag) (16 marks)

Much appreciated, thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by Deepti27
Biological rhythms are important for maintaining the optimal functioning of physiological and behavioral processes in humans. The disruption of biological rhythms, such as those caused by shift work and jet lag, can have negative effects on health and well-being. Here is a discussion of research into the disruption of biological rhythms:

1) Shift work: Studies have shown that shift work, especially night shift work, can disrupt the body's natural circadian rhythm and lead to a range of negative health outcomes, including increased risk of cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, and cancer. This disruption of circadian rhythm can also lead to sleep disturbances, fatigue, and impaired cognitive functioning.

2) Jet lag: Jet lag occurs when traveling across time zones disrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm. Research has shown that jet lag can cause a range of symptoms, including fatigue, insomnia, irritability, and impaired cognitive performance. The severity and duration of these symptoms can vary depending on the number of time zones crossed and the direction of travel.

3) Social jet lag: Social jet lag refers to the discrepancy between an individual's biological clock and their social or work schedule. This can occur when individuals stay up late on weekends or have irregular sleep schedules. Research has shown that social jet lag can lead to similar health outcomes as shift work and jet lag, including increased risk of metabolic disorders and depression.

4) Light exposure: Light exposure is a critical factor in regulating the body's circadian rhythm. Studies have shown that exposure to light during the night can disrupt circadian rhythm and lead to negative health outcomes. Additionally, exposure to light during the day, especially bright natural light, can help reset the body's circadian rhythm and reduce the negative effects of jet lag and shift work.

Overall, research has shown that the disruption of biological rhythms, including those caused by shift work, jet lag, and social jet lag, can have negative effects on health and well-being. Understanding these effects is important for developing interventions and strategies to minimize the negative impact of these disruptions.

Wow thanks! That was so detailed and helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest