long train journey:how to kill time? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Clodagh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The driver probably would! He's the ticket man..evil ticket man. *saves expensive ticket to re-use again in a month
Brainstorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
the view of the window seems to follow a formula:
bushes-a big flat sward-bushes-houses with England flag hang out the window-graffiti of "welcome to xxx town" or "xxxx FC"-the station...
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Clodagh)
The driver probably would! He's the ticket man..evil ticket man. *saves expensive ticket to re-use again in a month
I hope the driver would!!
tut tut, re-using tickets - what ever next
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The ticket collector on the train I was on earlier this week had a thing which stamped teddy bear shaped holes into the tickets to show they've been inspected!
Clodagh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course I'm re-using tickets if it hasn't been stamped! some consolation for the rip-off prices (which have gone up since Jan!!) and the sucky late and crowded trains
ladyshort4u
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol - whenever I have a long journey I'm always on the phone with my boyfriend/now fiance. We talk for HOURS and by the time 7 hours is up, it seems as though we have only been talking for an hour or so! lol - it goes really fast when your on phone with someone you LOVE talking to. lol - oh get a really really interesting book if your into reading. I love reading so I get like a 700 page book and read it lol. A good book is "A fine balance" by Rohinton Mistry. Its like 700 pages long and I love it so much I can read it over and over so that always kills time. OR if your going to see someone you love then just sleep and dream about what you'll do when you get there - lol - works for me hehe!!

Good Luck on your long journey

Love Ladyshort
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Brainstorm)
im going from Leeds to Bournemouth.
by the way, do they serve proper food in a Virgin train?

Firstly make sure you've got a reservation; it'll get busy in Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham for sure - you don't want to be in the vestibules for that long a journey.

It's not a bad journey really, the longest time between stops is the 34 minutes between Derby and Birmingham New Street, and thats only if you don't stop at Tamworth and Burton en route. After that it's not so bad, so you can break the journey down in to lots of little blocks. Although you'll probably get fed up of the "Welcome on board the XX:xx Virgin Voyager service to Bournemouth; calling at Wakefield Westgate, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Burton, Tamworth, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International, Coventry, Leamington Spa, Banbury Oxford, Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, Brokenhurst and Bournemouth due to arrive in Bournemouth at YY:yy."

*Geez I remembered them all*
katiesado
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
6 hours is that it? i'll be on a train friday for possibly 34 hours going to a city near the vietnam border. it's a good time to do some writing i think, plenty of time to think. looking out the window is a good stimulus for self-reflection.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Firstly make sure you've got a reservation; it'll get busy in Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham for sure - you don't want to be in the vestibules for that long a journey.

It's not a bad journey really, the longest time between stops is the 34 minutes between Derby and Birmingham New Street, and thats only if you don't stop at Tamworth and Burton en route. After that it's not so bad, so you can break the journey down in to lots of little blocks. Although you'll probably get fed up of the "Welcome on board the XX:xx Virgin Voyager service to Bournemouth; calling at Wakefield Westgate, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Burton, Tamworth, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International, Coventry, Leamington Spa, Banbury Oxford, Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, Brokenhurst and Bournemouth due to arrive in Bournemouth at YY:yy."

*Geez I remembered them all*
:eek:
Alice2411
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi guys, I'll be having a 6-hour journey by train next Sunday, any pastime recommendation apart from sleeping, reading and listening to music?

iv done afew of those, just take music, or a book or maggy, school work perhaps? go out the night b4 so u can sleep on the train, just rmemeber to lock ur luggage up so no1 will take it!! get some one to call u or vice versa, get loads of credit to txt ppl with!
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
iirc you don't have to pay to use the laptop/mobile charging sockets on virgin trains (voyagers and pendulinos).

I tend to buy a magazine, read that and then maybe do some work (usually am on trains for <4 hours though as its usually going down from coventry back to cardiff). This summer I did about 3500 miles in coaches going across europe- london to krakow was bad as was rome to budapest. I tended to sleep (fortunately I am the kind of person who can sleep anywhere usually).
Jazzgal
Report 14 years ago
hi guys, I'll be having a 6-hour journey by train next Sunday, any pastime recommendation apart from sleeping, reading and listening to music?
As the founder of the UKL Poetry society, I feel that the best way to relax on a long train journey is to take intrest in your surroundings, absorb your innermost feelings and cram them all into a poem or novel. Projects like this take a long time, so make it into an omnibus of creativity on every train journey. Who says you wont be able to make some hard earned cash from your boredom. Creativity should pay for your rail fares, should your work be good enough. See even this message contains riddles to decipher, oh isn't life fun?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads