The Student Room Group

Are all people with degrees smart?

Just wondering if everyone with a degree is smart, or can anyone get a degree if they have money? I ask because there are too many mediocre unis and degrees around with micky mouse degrees. Are people who do these courses at these unis which you can get into with Ds and Es at alevel smart or dumb?

Also, if someone got a bsc from oxbrdge and did no more uni, but some D/E grade person did bsc, msc then a phd, would they be seen as smarter thsn the bsc oxbridge person? I’m just intrigued as to how society and the academic world would see this scenario?.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boulderingislife
Just wondering if everyone with a degree is smart, or can anyone get a degree if they have money? I ask because there are too many mediocre unis and degrees around with micky mouse degrees. Are people who do these courses at these unis which you can get into with Ds and Es at alevel smart or dumb?

Also, if someone got a bsc from oxbrdge and did no more uni, but some D/E grade person did bsc, msc then a phd, would they be seen as smarter thsn the bsc oxbridge person? I’m just intrigued as to how society and the academic world would see this scenario?.

no degrees might make you knowledgable in a niche area but imo has no real correlation with any form of intelligence in life.

and yes everyone would consider someone with a degree from oxford far smarter than someone with a phd from a nowhere uni
Original post by jonjoshelveygoat
and yes everyone would consider someone with a degree from oxford far smarter than someone with a phd from a nowhere uni

Interesting. I’ve met some people who have big egos cos they have three masters degrees etc and look down on people who have just a bsc. Next time a masters or phd graduate looks down on my bsc i’ll take them to task on what uni they went to and question the worth of their degree if it is indeed a micky house uni and degree. Far too many people in society big up their own self worth and importance when in reality they are just dumbasses who have a worthless piece of paper from a nobody uni. One of my cousins is like this. She’s such a snob and yet went to herts or something. Another snob cousin makes a hig deal of her greenwich uni degree. Irl i don’t even talk about or mention my degree as I don’t think it’s important.

Oh and anyone seen those nobody’s who put “bsc” or “msc” in their work email signatures? 🫣 so embarrassing. Why would you do that? Lol
(edited 12 months ago)
Interesting. I’ve met some people who have big egos cos they have three masters degrees etc and look down on people who have just a bsc. Next time a masters or phd graduate looks down on my bsc i’ll take them to task on what uni they went to and question the worth of their degree if it is indeed a micky house uni and degree. Far too many people in society big up their own self worth and importance when in reality they are just dumbasses who have a worthless piece of paper for a nobody uni. One of my cousins is like this. She’s such a snob and yet went to herts or something. Another snob cousin makes a hig deal of her greenwich uni degree. Irl i don’t even talk about or mention my degree as I don’t think it’s important.

Oh and anyone seen those nobody’s who put “bsc” or “msc” in their work email signatures? 🫣 so embarrassing. Why would you do that? Lol

flexing a degree from greenwich uni is crazy

the real determint of intelligence isnt really your degree, I would argue that in actual life PHD people are probably are little less prepared as they spent so much of their life not being proper adults as they were in education.

I would instead look at where someone is in life, if some guy got 2 GCSEs but now makes £300k / year and someone has a PHD and earns 30k / year I think I would know who is actually smarter easily lol

the real determint of intelligence isnt really your degree, I would argue that in actual life PHD people are probably are little less prepared as they spent so much of their life not being proper adults as they were in education.

I would instead look at where someone is in life, if some guy got 2 GCSEs but now makes £300k / year and someone has a PHD and earns 30k / year I think I would know who is actually smarter easily lol

First part of your post i agree, but i don’t agree that how much money you make correlates to how smart someone is. That’s more to do with their risk taking and entrepreneurial spirit - not intelligence. There are a lot of oxbridge grads out there doing research on pennies, and you can’t say they are dumber than someone who earns £300k a year. Another example is that people in IB earn loads of money but not all of them are smart either.
(edited 12 months ago)
First part of your post i agree, but i don’t agree that how much money you make correlates to how smart someone is. That’s more to do with their risk taking and entrepreneurial spirit - not intelligence. There are a lot of oxbridge grads out there doing research on pennies, and you can’t say they are dumber than someone who earns £300k a year. Another example is that people in IB earn loads of money but not all of them are smart either.

I sort of think smartness / inteligence is about your outcome and from that perspective I think that the smart person would focus on money but I feel like I may just place more empthasis on the outcome people get (monetarily) more than anything else

The career I am planning to go into is IB so im the sort of person who does place heavy empthasis on financial success and that
I sort of think smartness / inteligence is about your outcome and from that perspective I think that the smart person would focus on money but I feel like I may just place more empthasis on the outcome people get (monetarily) more than anything else

The career I am planning to go into is IB so im the sort of person who does place heavy empthasis on financial success and that

So you’re telling me a medical doctor or neurosurgeon is less smart than someone doing IB purely because the IB person makes more money? 🫠
So you’re telling me a medical doctor or neurosurgeon is less smart than someone doing IB purely because the IB person makes more money? 🫠

tbf a neusorgeon would often earn more than an IB analyst early in their career

but I think that they would of been smarter in terms of how they have played the game of life. They have better career progession with a higher salary for far less time and money spent on education and with an easier job
Reply 8
I think anybody flexing university degrees -whether from a non-RG uni or Oxbridge- is snobbish and cringe. In that same way, anybody flexing the level of their degree makes me cringe. I couldn't care less where people studied or how far they studied.

The measure of intelligence is different for everyone. Some people tie it to how much money a person makes. Others tie it to what school they attended. A handful tie it to the level of their qualifications. I tie it to a person's ability to convert their passion to action. If you're passionate about studying and have a phD, I don't care where it's from as long as the uni requires studying. You are smart to me. If you're passionate about helping people, and you've made a reputation based on that, you are smart to me. Basically, if you can visualize where you want to see yourself in the next 10 years, lay out a plan to get there and execute that plan, you are smart to me.
Reply 9

crying so hard rn i'm at greenwich
Reply 10
Original post by fudgeyx

Lmaooo I don't know if I should laugh or feel sad on your behalf. The comment was brutal. I hope you're enjoying your time there, though

I don’t think some1 w a degree and even a degree from Oxbridge is inherently smart. Tbh some ppl get in bc of academic abilities and well memorising stuff. Not saying they lack intelligence bc obviously they don’t, they got into oxbridge, but in terms of general knowledge etc. they may not be so good at that. For example, I’m at imperial and I can be very dumb. Don’t get me wrong, in my field (chemistry) I can excel but overall in a lot of things in life I’m just dumb. I don’t k much about politics, day-to-day life, business etc. My general knowledge is the worst and if I were to have a debate w some1 I may not be able to articulate my arguments that well. That being said I’ll still get my degree and hopefully go on to do my PhD.

Maybe it’s just me that’s dumb but I think there’s quite a few ppl like me at uni and doing / done a degree that excel in their field but aren’t inherently smart. Ofc there r many exceptions and ppl w a degree tend to be well educated (especially if Oxbridge uni etc.) but I don’t think it’s a pre-requisite that ppl w degrees r smart. Academic ability /= intelligence
Nope.
No academic, professional or honourary qualification come with an automatic guarantee that the person who received them is intelligent.
Or even has some common sense and has done some of the studying work to achieve the degree qualification.
I know a few people with British undergrad degrees who are barely literate, unable to open a locked door & window with keys or make a cup of coffee.

There are plenty of people with degrees who have either bought them or been granted honourary degrees.
Even more who have either blackmailed, stolen, intimidated, emotionally blackmailed, plagurised, cheated, bribed without directly using money currency, traded sex or illegal drugs in order to obtain the degree dishonestly.
Reply 13
Original post by DarylO
Lmaooo I don't know if I should laugh or feel sad on your behalf. The comment was brutal. I hope you're enjoying your time there, though

lmao i'm actually really enjoying it. i got oxbridge grades but greenwich was the best decision i could have made can't lie.

idk if it's because i'm not doing a 'smart' degree (it's actually pointless i was just bored) but my flatmates are doing law, maths, and compsci (they're considered smart right lol) and they love it as well. i think greenwich and other unis are seen as dumb bc they are dumb compared to oxbridge but there are really smart people here as well.
Reply 14

Degree type matters more than university reputation.

A degree in mathematics and computing at Greenwich will be harder/same level as a computing degree at Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Original post by fudgeyx
lmao i'm actually really enjoying it. i got oxbridge grades but greenwich was the best decision i could have made can't lie.

idk if it's because i'm not doing a 'smart' degree (it's actually pointless i was just bored) but my flatmates are doing law, maths, and compsci (they're considered smart right lol) and they love it as well. i think greenwich and other unis are seen as dumb bc they are dumb compared to oxbridge but there are really smart people here as well.

Puhlease, as long as you're having fun there, that's really all that matters. Happiness should be prioritised. I got Oxbridge grades as well and I still get insults for not liking them or applying to them. Lmao. My choice: I'm choosing my happiness and I know they won't make me happy.

Also, every degree requires effort even if the entry requirements are lower. Don't downplay yours :hugs:

There are many issues with the question you're asking which make it more or less impossible to answer as far as I can see. At the very least, it's better to think of ones ability to effectively succeed in what you are doing at the time you are doing it, rather than some abstract concept of being "smart" or "dumb" denoting if you would be good at some other unrelated matter or not. The whole "a fish is very bad at riding a bicycle" concept...

I'd also note that a) Oxbridge do not offer BSc degrees (all undergraduate degrees are BAs including for STEM subjects or integrated masters e.g. MEng, MPhys, etc) and b) comparing someone who did a PhD with someone who didn't is completely pointless as there are innumerable reasons one might choose not to do a PhD even if one were capable of it, and being capable of doing a PhD means relatively little outside of research other than just being able to consistently work on something over a couple of years (which could just as well be demonstrated by working in a job for the same period of time without being fired for incompetence). Also c) just because you or the Daily Mail don't think a particular subject is worthwhile and brand it a "mickey mouse degree" doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile and that those who study (much less work as academic researchers in) the field are any less than those who study other areas

I can only assume this has nothing to do with abstract debate on the topic which as noted, is basically impossible due you not defining any single term you use, and there not being any objectively agreed upon definition for any of those many things - not to mention it's rather pointless as such comparisons will never occur in such odd juxtapositions as you are framing and will always be more specific and context dependent. My assumption is this has more to do with a personal hangup about a similar issue within your own life, in which case I'd point out that it is almost certainly just you that is "keeping score" in that manner.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by fudgeyx

:hugs: sorry if i offended you
Original post by Baleroc
Degree type matters more than university reputation.

A degree in mathematics and computing at Greenwich will be harder/same level as a computing degree at Oxbridge.

That’s utter nonsense. An oxbridge maths degree will be harder than a greenwich one and @fudgeyx ‘s friends are doing themselves a disservice by not challenging themselves at
a better uni.

think of it this way. If the degrees were the same difficulty then why would the unis have differing entry requirements?
Reply 19
I failed most my A Levels, got a first class BA years later. Then a masters, then PhD. I also read at Oxford. So maybe I am stupid and clever.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest