The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Does UoB look at GCSE grades for business management?

I want to study business management with marketing and I’m wondering if they check all of your GCSE grades? I just got my mock results back and I got a 4 for foundation maths, but I can easily bring that up to a 5. I got As for English lang and lit, but a C for business. I usually get A/Bs in business but I’m trying to bring that up. I’m planning on doing the BTEC extended diploma for business management.
Original post by jvsmiii
Does UoB look at GCSE grades for business management?

To which university are you referring with the abbreviation "UoB"? The University of Bath, Bristol, Birmingham, Brighton, Bradford, etc.

(This thread is in the "Applications, Clearing and UCAS" forum, so it's location isn't a clue.)

Generally speaking, universities don't pay much attention to GCSE grades other than for Maths and English Language - although there are exceptions.

BTW, its worth checking the "UofB' web site to ensure they'd accept a BTEC Extended Diploma as your entry qualification. Not all will.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by jvsmiii
University of Birmingham. I was wondering if taking part in activities that are related to business would kind of boost me in my application?. My school is also offering work experience for BTEC business students but I want to do more than just that as well

Looking at the entry requirements for BSc Business Management with Marketing at University of Birmingham, here, they don't look overly enthusiastic about BTECs generally. For A levels they name specific grades (AAB), as they do for the International Baccalaureate (6, 6, 5 with a minimum of 32 points overall). However, for BTECs they simply say, "BTEC options considered".

They then go on to say that for BTEC Extended Diploma, "Only the following subjects can be considered: Applied Science, Business, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship". If it were me, I'd contact the admissions office and ask them the direct question: "How many candidates have previously applied for BSc Business Management with Marketing with a BTEC Extended Diploma, and how many of them were made offers?". There are many other universities which will happily accept a BTEC Extended Diploma, but Birmingham does sound a little "luke warm" about them.

Also, note their GCSE requirements: "GCSE Mathematics at grade 7/A and English at grade 6/B". Your original post says that in your mock "I got a 4 for foundation maths, but I can easily bring that up to a 5". With Foundation Tier you can get a maximum of a grade 5; Birmingham want a 7.

There will be many other universities where they'd be happy with a grade 5 in Maths. But Birmingham isn't one of them, at least for BSc Business Management with Marketing. Sorry. :frown:

As for "activities that are related to business", those can certainly help. However, your main focus needs to be grades (both GCSE and BTEC). If you don't meet their grade requirements (or aren't very close to them), then no amount of work experience (or similar) is going to matter.
Original post by jvsmiii
I want to study business management with marketing and I’m wondering if they check all of your GCSE grades? I just got my mock results back and I got a 4 for foundation maths, but I can easily bring that up to a 5. I got As for English lang and lit, but a C for business. I usually get A/Bs in business but I’m trying to bring that up. I’m planning on doing the BTEC extended diploma for business management.

Business and Marketing are Maths heavy subjects and most leading RG type universities are going to require higher than grade 5 GCSE Maths. Usually they accept BTEC extended diploma in an appropriate subject eg business but the Maths requirement will be extremely strict and you will be automatically rejected without that grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending