The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Exeter or UCL?

I've received an offer from Exeter for English. I don't really like any of my other choices, except St. Andrews (which I'm still waiting to hear from and I'm not optimistic as Oxford rejected me post-interview). I saw the Creative Arts and Humanities BA at UCL still has vacancies and I'm thinking of using extra to apply to UCL. But I'm not sure what to do. Do I withdraw my application and go for UCL or do I stick with my offer from Exeter? And what about St Andrews?
Reply 1
Original post by misabbell
I've received an offer from Exeter for English. I don't really like any of my other choices, except St. Andrews (which I'm still waiting to hear from and I'm not optimistic as Oxford rejected me post-interview). I saw the Creative Arts and Humanities BA at UCL still has vacancies and I'm thinking of using extra to apply to UCL. But I'm not sure what to do. Do I withdraw my application and go for UCL or do I stick with my offer from Exeter? And what about St Andrews?

If you get St Andrews, definitely go to Andrews. If not, you have to consider your options. Good luck
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2

Exeter is the best of those for English.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is the best of those for English.

Really? I thought it would be UCL. Obviously St Andrews beats them both but still
Reply 4
Really? I thought it would be UCL. Obviously St Andrews beats them both but still

UCL is focused on Science - St Andrews is not better than Exeter for English.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
UCL is focused on Science - St Andrews is not better than Exeter for English.

Sounds fair, thanks
UCL has an extremely strong English department and is one of the few in the UK that offer Oxbridge style tutorial teaching. However the course you note, Creative Arts and Humanities, is not based out of the UCL English department. So your experience would likely be different - it also looks to be a very new course as it's based at the new UCL East campus so you will probably be one of the first cohorts on the course, so keep that in mind.

However I'd also note that UCL has a number of standout humanities (and social science) faculties and departments, having one of the (if not the) only Hebrew & Jewish Studies departments in the UK, offering a wide range of European languages not offered anywhere else in the UK through SELCs and SSEES, and also is home of the Institute of Archaeology and Institute of Education, both of which are at the forefront of their fields. Notably most of the archaeology academics at Oxbridge and other comparable archaeology departments have at some point studied at or worked for the IoA. Suggestions that UCL is "just for science" speaks more to the lack of knowledge of the person saying it of any field of humanities, than of UCL.

However, can you apply through Extra if you hold offers? I thought you couldn't use Extra until you had all your decisions and held no offers.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
UCL has an extremely strong English department and is one of the few in the UK that offer Oxbridge style tutorial teaching. However the course you note, Creative Arts and Humanities, is not based out of the UCL English department. So your experience would likely be different - it also looks to be a very new course as it's based at the new UCL East campus so you will probably be one of the first cohorts on the course, so keep that in mind.

However I'd also note that UCL has a number of standout humanities and social science faculties and departments, having one of the (if not the) only Hebrew & Jewish Studies departments in the UK, offering a wide range of European languages not offered anywhere else in the UK through SELCs and SSEES, and also is home of the Institute of Archaeology and Institute of Education, both of which are at the forefront of their fields. Notably most of the archaeology academics at Oxbridge and other comparable archaeology departments have at some point studied at or worked for the IoA. Suggestions that UCL is "just for science" speaks more to the lack of knowledge of the person saying it of any field of humanities, than of UCL.

However, can you apply through Extra if you hold offers? I thought you couldn't use Extra until you had all your decisions and held no offers.

I can use extra if I withdraw my application from the uni choices I'm waiting for or have had an offer from. Also, excellent points. I was really surprised when someone said it's more stem focused.
I can use extra if I withdraw my application from the uni choices I'm waiting for or have had an offer from. Also, excellent points. I was really surprised when someone said it's more stem focused.

Having actually personally done some study at UCL in a humanities department (and holding a deferred offer there after deciding to apply based on the experience of doing modules there) I'm confident in saying it's not accurate.

However from what I can see of that course, it's much more focused on the creative industries - (creative) writing, lens based media, and acting. Really very little in common with an English Literature degree which is all about literary analysis. It seems very much designed for people wanting to go into careers in acting/theatre, screen/scriptwriting, and similar. Is that your aim...? It really seems to be a very different course aimed at different people than English lit.

In any case, I would suggest waiting to receive all your offers before making any major decisions. Then you can figure out how you want to approach it.

Quick Reply

Latest