The Student Room Group

Computer Science University Courses

I am taking Maths, Computer Science and probably Further mathematics. Will this be good for applying for CS courses at University. I would like to go to more competitive universities as well but I don't want to take physics a-level. Will this be a problem?
Original post by idk84
I am taking Maths, Computer Science and probably Further mathematics. Will this be good for applying for CS courses at University. I would like to go to more competitive universities as well but I don't want to take physics a-level. Will this be a problem?

Hi there @idk84 , I hope you're doing well! :flower2:

Each University may have slightly different Entry Criteria for Computer Science BSc. DMU, for example - as this is the Uni I can speak for!- does not require specific subjects from A-Levels to be taken. However, as you are passionate about Computer Science, it's always good to stick with relevant or supporting subjects to study before undertaking undergraduate level. This advice goes for any programme you might wish to study at undergraduate level:smartass:
Some Universities may also work on UCAS point tariffs (we ask for 112 from at least 2 A-Levels) , although some of the more competitive Universities may work off grades such as A*A*A, it is up to the institution generally speaking. From what I've found - and it is important to do your research where you can :cyber: - Physics isn't necessarily always a required subject and the major focus of some competitive institutions is your capability and interest in Maths and, of course, Computer Science!

I hope this helps and feel free to fire any more questions away; I'll do my upmost to help answer them!

All the best,

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep
Original post by idk84

Hiya! I would suggest looking at the entry requirements of some of the universities you have in mind and seeing if you qualify. It's usually A-Level Maths that's a required subject for Computer Science but it doesn't hurt to check, especially if you're aiming for certain unis. Generally, though, I'd say the three you have there is a good choice for CS :smile:

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by idk84

Yes, those are probably the 3 most relevant A-levels you can choose and Further Maths is expected by the top universities. I'm not aware of any universities that require Physics A-level and there's no need to sit 4 A-levels if that's what you're asking.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
I'm also taking further maths, computer science and physics; I'm pretty set on doing software engineering or computer science at university. I've chosen 4 universities already but I'm struggling to find any universities with BBC entry requirements for my insurance choices, do you have any suggestions or good places to find such courses?
Reply 5
Original post by ErayAXZ
I'm also taking further maths, computer science and physics; I'm pretty set on doing software engineering or computer science at university. I've chosen 4 universities already but I'm struggling to find any universities with BBC entry requirements for my insurance choices, do you have any suggestions or good places to find such courses?

Try City University and Greenwich university

Quick Reply