The Student Room Group

GCSE Physics Electromagnetism

Hi, I'm trying to revise for my physics but I'm confused about the difference between dynamos and electric motors, from the diagrams they appear very similar with the split ring commutator, does anyone know how they differ?
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hi, I'm trying to revise for my physics but I'm confused about the difference between dynamos and electric motors, from the diagrams they appear very similar with the split ring commutator, does anyone know how they differ?

A dynamo converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. A motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy.

The only difference I can imagine is conversion of energy: a dynamo converted mechanical to electrical energy, in a motor it is exactly vice versa.

In other words: a dynamo gains electrical energy, a motor uses it.
(edited 11 months ago)

You may need to look at the diagrams closely or check your eye vision. I am not joking or mocking you.

If you are comparing AC dynamos and DC motors, AC dynamos use slip rings while DC motors use split rings commutator.
DC motors need a power source such as a battery while AC dynamos are connected to a load such light bulb or any other electrical devices.

Slip rings are not the same as split rings. (Look at the spelling)

Quick Reply

Latest