The Student Room Group

Currently S5, struggling on subject choices in S6, any advice would help :)

I'm looking for any advice on what subjects to take for S6, I'm currently in S5, studying 5 highers ( English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Arts). I'm planning to go to Uni probably after my S6 year. I don't have a specifically interested pathway, so I'm not sure what to select in S6. I don't really like Chemistry that much and it had been kind of a struggle for me in prelims and assessments, but I haven't done my final exam yet so yeah. I enjoyed doing biology, it's somewhat interesting for me but just not sure if I want to go down the pathway to Biology, but Biology>Chemistry. Maths to me is fine, I also like to do Arts but as I have mostly sciences subjects, it seems very odd to have an art subject, this was a subject I studied in N5 and brought to Higher, as I am trying to expand my possibilities and qualifications if that's possible. I'm planning to do AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and AH Arts or H Photography in S6 as I really liked photography as an interest. Not sure if AH Arts is really needed...Some thoughts about pathways were maybe Vets and something to do with Biology, these were just thoughts that came to mind but they were not clear. I'm not too sure about choosing AH Maths and Chemistry because I don't have an interested pathway yet, so I want to take it just in case, coz I might need it in the future. Not sure if this is the most suitable choice as I don't have an idea of my future pathways, I assumed science since that’s the only area I’ve got my qualifications in but I’m still not sure. Any help would be great thanks!!!
Reply 1
Original post by tadachar
I'm looking for any advice on what subjects to take for S6, I'm currently in S5, studying 5 highers ( English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Arts). I'm planning to go to Uni probably after my S6 year. I don't have a specifically interested pathway, so I'm not sure what to select in S6. I don't really like Chemistry that much and it had been kind of a struggle for me in prelims and assessments, but I haven't done my final exam yet so yeah. I enjoyed doing biology, it's somewhat interesting for me but just not sure if I want to go down the pathway to Biology, but Biology>Chemistry. Maths to me is fine, I also like to do Arts but as I have mostly sciences subjects, it seems very odd to have an art subject, this was a subject I studied in N5 and brought to Higher, as I am trying to expand my possibilities and qualifications if that's possible. I'm planning to do AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and AH Arts or H Photography in S6 as I really liked photography as an interest. Not sure if AH Arts is really needed...Some thoughts about pathways were maybe Vets and something to do with Biology, these were just thoughts that came to mind but they were not clear. I'm not too sure about choosing AH Maths and Chemistry because I don't have an interested pathway yet, so I want to take it just in case, coz I might need it in the future. Not sure if this is the most suitable choice as I don't have an idea of my future pathways, I assumed science since that’s the only area I’ve got my qualifications in but I’m still not sure. Any help would be great thanks!!!

Hey I’m currently in S6 and studying AH Chemistry, Maths, Physics, English and Mechanics so unfortunately biology isn’t my strong suit lmao but my best friend is going on to do Vet Med at Glasgow. Chemistry is very different at AH - personally I’ve found it a bit easier but I’ve also changed teacher so that might affect your decision. I didn’t know what I wanted to do until I applied but Chemistry is a good bridge subject that opens up a lot of options. The concepts can be tricky to grasp at first but once you’ve understood them it’s not too difficult. Maths for me was a HUGE leap. Again, the course is structured quite similarly to higher but everything is in much more depth; it requires constant revision throughout the year and please take advantage of your teachers if you do it and ask them questions. But again, once you’ve got it it’s not too bad and it definitely stands you on good footing for uni. My friends think that AH bio is the hardest of the sciences to study at advanced higher, it’s very content heavy but they all seemed to have been able to maintain pretty good marks throughout exams. Hope this helps :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest