The Student Room Group

sex education debate

I have to do an essay on why sex education should be taught more in school, could someone give me some points? my minds gone blank
Reply 1
Ignorance is not good. Be it increased chances of getting pregnant, an std etc.
Probably helps understand the other sex a bit, your first time is usually always a guessing game but it helps to know where everything is and what it does

Principally though its in terms of not getting pregnant or becoming diseased. Kids are dumb, its par for the course but if you can reduce the chances of the above happening its ideal.
Original post by AlisaMackintosh
I have to do an essay on why sex education should be taught more in school, could someone give me some points? my minds gone blank

I'll try to add to @Napp's points.

Dispell unscientific and superstitious malpractices that could potentially be harmful to the body e.g. genital mutiliation

Help draw the line between what are facts, natural, "normal", acceptable, healthy, legal, etc. compared to what are not

Know where to get advice and information to get help if you need to

Have a bare minimum education on what to do (not that I expect the people teaching this know how to "bring out the best" in the experience)

Know when to speak up and how to stay safe

Some parents won't know some of the information that kids will need to know; some parents won't say all that kids would need to know

Some cultures consider talking about it a taboo or would be considered against their religious principles so kids would otherwise have no other suitable source to get information unless they want to spend a lot of time on the NHS website

Know what to expect, so they can have less anxiety

Satisfy some of the kids' curiosity, otherwise they can look for the answers from unsuitable sources e.g. certain popular X rated websites

It helps with family planning and look into the best times to have kids should they wish to have them e.g. once menopause hits, it's not going to happen

Why it wouldn't necessarily be required (I think it should be taught more in school, but to play devil's advocate):

The education solely look into health as opposed to other aspects of it e.g. the education doesn't cover things like approach, healthy respect for boundaries, lust vs love, what makes a healthy relationship

Doesn't cover things like how to address the issues with parents, family, etc.

Doesn't really encourage exploration of the topic for anything other than health and pregnancies

Doesn't cover things like types of relationships and lifestyle choices, as well as their consequences

It doesn't cover aspects of a relationship and the dynamics between a relationship and the bedroom (a key component in any relationship of that type)

Education is not the same thing as prevention; it's like how educating people the drawbacks of smoking and alcohol doesn't stop or deter people from smoking or drinking

It's of debate whether the education is actually helping with certain issues such as unwanted preganacies, safe practice

There are plenty of resources readily available, so all that might be needed is a point in the right direction

The educators aren't really that much more knowledgeable about the topic outside of the areas related to health

Although the basic education is provided, there isn't really an outlet for them to look into it further until they leave home and go out into the world as adults (usually). In some cultures, this often means that this won't happen until the person is actually married (even then the parents can intervene in unhealthy ways).

The education doesn't cover the mental health aspects of it e.g. addictions, aggression, why some people feel a certain way, etc.

Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I'll try to add to @Napp's points.

Dispell unscientific and superstitious malpractices that could potentially be harmful to the body e.g. genital mutiliation

Help draw the line between what are facts, natural, "normal", acceptable, healthy, legal, etc. compared to what are not

Know where to get advice and information to get help if you need to

Have a bare minimum education on what to do (not that I expect the people teaching this know how to "bring out the best" in the experience)

Know when to speak up and how to stay safe

Some parents won't know some of the information that kids will need to know; some parents won't say all that kids would need to know

Some cultures consider talking about it a taboo or would be considered against their religious principles so kids would otherwise have no other suitable source to get information unless they want to spend a lot of time on the NHS website

Know what to expect, so they can have less anxiety

Satisfy some of the kids' curiosity, otherwise they can look for the answers from unsuitable sources e.g. certain popular X rated websites

It helps with family planning and look into the best times to have kids should they wish to have them e.g. once menopause hits, it's not going to happen

Why it wouldn't necessarily be required (I think it should be taught more in school, but to play devil's advocate):

The education solely look into health as opposed to other aspects of it e.g. the education doesn't cover things like approach, healthy respect for boundaries, lust vs love, what makes a healthy relationship

Doesn't cover things like how to address the issues with parents, family, etc.

Doesn't really encourage exploration of the topic for anything other than health and pregnancies

Doesn't cover things like types of relationships and lifestyle choices, as well as their consequences

It doesn't cover aspects of a relationship and the dynamics between a relationship and the bedroom (a key component in any relationship of that type)

Education is not the same thing as prevention; it's like how educating people the drawbacks of smoking and alcohol doesn't stop or deter people from smoking or drinking

It's of debate whether the education is actually helping with certain issues such as unwanted preganacies, safe practice

There are plenty of resources readily available, so all that might be needed is a point in the right direction

The educators aren't really that much more knowledgeable about the topic outside of the areas related to health

Although the basic education is provided, there isn't really an outlet for them to look into it further until they leave home and go out into the world as adults (usually). In some cultures, this often means that this won't happen until the person is actually married (even then the parents can intervene in unhealthy ways).

The education doesn't cover the mental health aspects of it e.g. addictions, aggression, why some people feel a certain way, etc.

Exceptionally well put!

Quick Reply