The Student Room Group

Wanting to drop out of a levels in year 12

I am currently struggling with my a levels mentally and physically. I had a minor foot surgery at the start of year 12 and missed around 2-3 weeks so i was already behind. In December i got very ill. I started my antibiotics in early jan and itโ€™s been 8 weeks now that Iโ€™m on antibiotics. I am also struggling academically, i was not accepted to do my a levels course at my secondary school just for a few marks. I wanted to do biology, chemistry and maths and i got 5โ€™s in all 3 of my sciences and did triple science and got a 6 in maths. The grade requirement was a 6 and the marks to get a 6 for both chemistry and biology were 83 (chemistry) and 107 (biology) for edexcel and i got 72 (chemistry) and 102 (biology). So i was forced to move to a place I didnโ€™t like just for the subjects as I didnโ€™t have any other options. I am currently in a college but struggling to adapt here a lot which is affecting me mentally and preventing me from getting the education i need. My attendance is also low due to the health problems but now with the mental health problems Iโ€™m not being able to go back there as itโ€™s affecting me a lot. Will i be allowed to do med if i drop out of year 12 and restart in September? If I donโ€™t get into a levels can i do a btec in applied science and get into med later on? Or is it only biomedical science? Any 6th forms in tower hamlets/east ldn with low grade requirements?
Original post by rb.0206
I am currently struggling with my a levels mentally and physically. I had a minor foot surgery at the start of year 12 and missed around 2-3 weeks so i was already behind. In December i got very ill. I started my antibiotics in early jan and itโ€™s been 8 weeks now that Iโ€™m on antibiotics. I am also struggling academically, i was not accepted to do my a levels course at my secondary school just for a few marks. I wanted to do biology, chemistry and maths and i got 5โ€™s in all 3 of my sciences and did triple science and got a 6 in maths. The grade requirement was a 6 and the marks to get a 6 for both chemistry and biology were 83 (chemistry) and 107 (biology) for edexcel and i got 72 (chemistry) and 102 (biology). So i was forced to move to a place I didnโ€™t like just for the subjects as I didnโ€™t have any other options. I am currently in a college but struggling to adapt here a lot which is affecting me mentally and preventing me from getting the education i need. My attendance is also low due to the health problems but now with the mental health problems Iโ€™m not being able to go back there as itโ€™s affecting me a lot. Will i be allowed to do med if i drop out of year 12 and restart in September? If I donโ€™t get into a levels can i do a btec in applied science and get into med later on? Or is it only biomedical science? Any 6th forms in tower hamlets/east ldn with low grade requirements?

New city college takes on just about anyone as long as you got 5 A*-Cs and 4/5s in English and Maths for A Levels and a B grade In a written subject. There are also vocational courses like BTECs which ask for lower requirements than A Levels. They took on my brother with 1 GCSE to do entry level 1 course and he worked his way up to level 2. New city college is everyone's second option but teaching and the facilities at the college has improved a lot. Bad reputation hence the change in the name (previously called tower Hamlets college) but it has improved a lot. They have different department buildings like Arbour square campus for A Levels, Poplar for BTEC and other courses like Access courses take place in other campuses also part of new city college.

If you want to go to sixth form there is Langdon park sixth form, where they offer A Levels mostly and I heard some BTEC courses now, also have low entry requirements for A Levels like I would have got a place with 1 A, 2 5s, 1 4 , 1 B and 3 Ds.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest