The Student Room Group

Grades

In a month how many grades can you go up. Let’s say you revised 2 hours on weekday and 6 on weekends?
it depends on how you're revising and what the issues are that are preventing you from getting the grades you want/need.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
it depends on how you're revising and what the issues are that are preventing you from getting the grades you want/need.

I used to basically make notes and then just read them over and over again and then just do past papers and that’s it. For maths I would do past papers but anything I got wrong I didn’t revise. But now I have the CGP books I basically just do the look cover right check method as it also implements active recall. For maths I use DrFrost maths which is really good and history I use the Edexcel books and do the same as I did for science for both science and history I do lots of past papers and exam style questions
quantity doesn’t matter at all when it comes to revision. If you’re sitting there just highlighting your notes, you could spend hours on ended and still end up with the same grade.
You need to make your revision as efficient as possible in the months you have left until your exam
eg, active recall, exam questions, flash cards, blurting.

You could 100% increase your grade in a month if you revise efficiently!!
Original post by Mila233
I used to basically make notes and then just read them over and over again and then just do past papers and that’s it. For maths I would do past papers but anything I got wrong I didn’t revise. But now I have the CGP books I basically just do the look cover right check method as it also implements active recall. For maths I use DrFrost maths which is really good and history I use the Edexcel books and do the same as I did for science for both science and history I do lots of past papers and exam style questions

doing lots of practise questions for maths is the best thing you can do so I would keep on using DrFrost (I used it when I did my GCSEs, I don't study maths anymore). For science I would recommend making flashcards either online or physical ones (I use StudySmarter) with key bits of information so that you can easily use active recall with them, StudySmarter has a spaced repetition feature which you could use to make sure you're focusing on the bits you struggle with.
Original post by Mila233
In a month how many grades can you go up. Let’s say you revised 2 hours on weekday and 6 on weekends?

With committment and graft, you can certainly go up 1 grade, if not 2. Make sure the quality of your revision is high, not just quantity. Also if you burn out, very possible, take a day off. I would suggest you aim not just for a daily amount, but also a weekly since if one day you do less, on another you may want to catch up if you're feeling it. Do loads practise papers as well, as it is active revision rather than just reading and highlighting.

I used to do 1.5-2 hours on weekdays, and 4-5 on weekends. Using apps like flora or focus keeper help a lot if you aren't using them already.

Good luck!
Original post by T04milner
With committment and graft, you can certainly go up 1 grade, if not 2. Make sure the quality of your revision is high, not just quantity. Also if you burn out, very possible, take a day off. I would suggest you aim not just for a daily amount, but also a weekly since if one day you do less, on another you may want to catch up if you're feeling it. Do loads practise papers as well, as it is active revision rather than just reading and highlighting.

I used to do 1.5-2 hours on weekdays, and 4-5 on weekends. Using apps like flora or focus keeper help a lot if you aren't using them already.

Good luck!

My grades are currently a 3 in maths, 3-3 in science and 2 in history. I want to get a 5 in maths, 5-5 in science and 6 in history. Can I do it with the time I have left? I am trying to implement active recall.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
quantity doesn’t matter at all when it comes to revision. If you’re sitting there just highlighting your notes, you could spend hours on ended and still end up with the same grade.
You need to make your revision as efficient as possible in the months you have left until your exam
eg, active recall, exam questions, flash cards, blurting.

You could 100% increase your grade in a month if you revise efficiently!!

I am implementing active recall into my revision. how many grades can I go up in a month. I have good memory but I am terrible at exam technique.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mila233
I am implementing active recall into my revision. how many grades can I go up in a month. I have good memory but I am terrible at exam technique.

lucky you then, GCSEs are basically a memory game.
exam technique will come over time, so practise!
I’m not entirely sure how many grades you would go up in a month, but hopefully a few
Original post by Mila233
My grades are currently a 3 in maths, 3-3 in science and 2 in history. I want to get a 5 in maths, 5-5 in science and 6 in history. Can I do it with the time I have left? I am trying to implement active recall.

I am certainly not going to tell you can't do it! You can 100% pass everything, and get even better. History will be tough due to the content load though. Dedicated active recall will be your best friend with history for sure. I used my revision guide and practically learnt all the facts by reading it over and over, chanting it and then recalling it verbally whilst not looking and finally , with a theme title at the very top of the page, splurging all I could remember on a page, over and over and over. Simulate that approach and you should be able to at least get a 4.

It's going to take a lot of hard work Mila and it's going to be tight, but if you're determined, and you sound determined, I'm sure you can do it. Aim high, but do not over-pressure yourself. Make sure you don't go crazy!

Quick Reply

Latest