The Student Room Group

bsc biomedical science

i'm an alevel student applying for biomed next year, i do psychology, biology, and chemistry and my predicted grades arent too high (ABC with an A in EPQ), i've been told by others and seen online that biomed degrees are like abnormally hard degrees and mainly for people who want to be doctors?

i want to study research behind medicine/cancer/diseases, but i also want to maintain chemistry to some degree and include physiology and maybe elements of nutrition/dermatology/immunology...
my aim is to be some sort of research scientist or an a-level bio/gcse chem teacher (i think)

so two things: do you think i would be able to cope with a biomed degree based on my grades/is it as abnormally difficult as i've heard and do you think based on what i want from a degree that biomed is best suited?

it's been really stressing me out so any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
you should look into biochemistry
Original post by mai0may
i'm an alevel student applying for biomed next year, i do psychology, biology, and chemistry and my predicted grades arent too high (ABC with an A in EPQ), i've been told by others and seen online that biomed degrees are like abnormally hard degrees and mainly for people who want to be doctors?

i want to study research behind medicine/cancer/diseases, but i also want to maintain chemistry to some degree and include physiology and maybe elements of nutrition/dermatology/immunology...
my aim is to be some sort of research scientist or an a-level bio/gcse chem teacher (i think)

so two things: do you think i would be able to cope with a biomed degree based on my grades/is it as abnormally difficult as i've heard and do you think based on what i want from a degree that biomed is best suited?

it's been really stressing me out so any help is appreciated :smile:

I applied for biomed this year, so I ended up doing some research into it. I’m not sure about it being ‘abnormally hard’ - if you work hard and put in effort, it shouldn’t be, and that is the bare minimum any degrees asks for, so you should be ready to give that anyways. Biomed isn’t for people who want to become doctors, you need a med degree for that. However, they might be saying that because biomed is a popular degree to do before GEM (graduate entry medicine).

Researching medicine/cancer/diseases falls right under biomed; you’re correct there :smile: It does include physiology and immunology too, and depending on the uni you choose, you can select these modules to study in greater detail from second year itself.

If you’re researching biomed degrees, look at accreditation. Some unis will be IBMS accredited - these unis are critical for applying to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS or a hospital. Non-accredited unis (mainly RG unis) focus more on research and industry (pharmaceutical companies). Both types of degrees are taught differently, so be sure of which you’re applying to! :smile:

Would you be able to cope with it? That’s a question only you can answer.

Quick Reply

Latest